Rename multiple files using a list of filenames

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PetyaMaster

Rename multiple files using a list of filenames

Post by *PetyaMaster »

Hello Guys,

I have the same number of files in both panels of different dirs. I want one panel's files to get the names of the other panel's files. The files' contents are different. I can save the names of the source files to a text file, but I cannot apply those names to the destination files.
Can somebody tell me how to do that ?
I've been experimenting with the multi-rename tool, but didn't find such function. I use 6.5x

Thanks,

Petya
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2PetyaMaster

In TC 7 a function you're looking for has been implemented. There you have a bew button in the MultiRenameTool that allows you to edit the loaded filenames in a text editor or to load the new names from a textfile.

TC 7 is in release candidate state and already rock stable, you may give it a try, or wait for the final...
jordi.c

Post by *jordi.c »

Very intereseting,

How can you get the filenames of files to a .txt document?
Registered user #150595
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

jordi.c wrote:How can you get the filenames of files to a .txt document?
In TC7's MRT just click on the button that looks like a folder (next to the box "Upper/lowercase"), TC automatically gets the file names to a text file.

Alternatively, to capture other names that shall be applied to the list you can (before entering MRT):
- mark all wanted files (Ctrl-[Num+] for all files), then use
- menu: Mark / Copy selected names to clipboard
and then paste those to the above mentioned text file. But be careful with the order of the files here...
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
egd

Post by *egd »

StatusQuo wrote:In TC7's MRT just click on the button that looks like a folder (next to the box "Upper/lowercase"), TC automatically gets the file names to a text file.
Now wouldn't it be nice if clicking the button also displayed a "Get filenames from Clipboard" option?

Ultimately though, a new feature that would be very, very handy is simply to be able to highlight a group of files in each pane and rename a chosen pane's files using the names of the highlighted files in the other pane.
chrizoo

Post by *chrizoo »

egd wrote:Now wouldn't it be nice if clicking the button also displayed a "Get filenames from Clipboard" option?

Ultimately though, a new feature that would be very, very handy is simply to be able to highlight a group of files in each pane and rename a chosen pane's files using the names of the highlighted files in the other pane.
I just had the very same thought, that would be a great feature!