What do you think about the new separate directory tree?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What do you think about the new separate directory tree?

Poll ended at 2007-07-17, 00:11 UTC

The current implementation is fine. I'm using the separate directory tree.
8%
The current implementation is fine but I don't use the separate directory tree.
40%
The current implementation definitely needs improvements but I'm already using the separate directory tree.
31%
The current implementation definitely needs improvements but I wouldn't even use a perfect separate directory tree.
21%

Total votes: 48

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

VadiMGP wrote:Of course, it is possible reason. But don't forget - removing it is also work. And it is possibility to add new bugs.
Constantly adding new features in a program means you have to keep in mind not to break anything, including things you may consider useless but haven't removed from your code. This is even more work! :)
VadiMGP wrote:So, as always, question "efforts vs. profit".
Correct.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
rendez2k

Post by *rendez2k »

I've stopped using the tree for now as its not functional enough in its current state. I posted this in another thread

"I think you should be able to delete folders in the tree view (currently get 'function not supported'). Sometimes I'm browsing through the tree and see an old folder that should I want to delete but I have to click into it to show it in the main panel before it can be deleted"

Also, I may be one of the few, but I'm all for using the mouse to navigate!
CEUM

Post by *CEUM »

my vote is #1, quite different from the other comments here. At my work there are very deep and complex, sometimes parallel directory structures. Therefore the navigation with the trees ist very usefull and I use it. And.. from my past as a CAD user (before times where PC mouses existet) I am a very mouse orientated TC- User! CEUM
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

As I voted, I would like to let you know which option I chose:
The current implementation definitely needs improvements but I'm already using the separate directory tree.
The current separate tree is not well integrated into the rest of the T.C. interface. To me it looks like a foreign object added to T.C. only half-heartedly.

The only purpose it does serve (well) is the purpose of navigation. (So, this is what I use it for only.)

As other users in this thread explained which things might need improving, I will not repeat their words here.

Karl
Arlecchino

Post by *Arlecchino »

Drag & drop, single click, rename, delete functions should be definitely implemented in the separate treeview. As karlchen has already said, now the tree serves only for navigation purpose and that does not suffice.

Some users maintain that this may cause additional issues. I suggest that you use your CTRL F8 and leave the alleged separate tree problems to us, especially when we see none :] For it's strange to object against an improvement in the function that you don't use yourself at all.

So, I would like to repeat: this is a problem. The separate treeview would be a very handy function and would make TC the best file manager ever (at least for me) if the afore mentioned improvements were taken into consideration. Thank you.
flo

Post by *flo »

Arlecchino wrote:Drag & drop, single click, rename, delete functions should be definitely implemented in the separate treeview. As karlchen has already said, now the tree serves only for navigation purpose and that does not suffice.
Support+++
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just for your information, I have recently added in place rename, delete and copy+paste to the separate trees! Drag&Drop is supported as a drop target only at this time, though, but I may add this too soon. What do you mean with "single click"?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I have recently added in place rename, delete and copy+paste to the separate trees! Drag&Drop is supported as a drop target only at this time, though, but I may add this too soon.
Sounds very promising :-)
hat do you mean with "single click"?
I guess the user means opening a directory by a single click. This is already possible by disabling the option "Tree: Pres ENTER to open dir in other window".
It's really difficult to understand for a user that this option also changes the mouse behavior.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Nice to hear about that progress, thanks!

Please also add support for collapsing a node with Space during drag&drop. Right now it's only possible to expand it.

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will consider that. I was also asked to auto-expand subdirs when holding the mouse cursor on the directory for a second or so, would this be helpful too?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Stitscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stitscher »

YEES!

Stitscher
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
Will you think about checking "ShowHiddenSystem" parameter value or will it stay as it is?
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Great news ! :)
Could someone please update the news for the german speaking users:
Vom Autor bestätigte Neuerungen im Total Commander 7.5
TIA
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Stance
Could someone please update the news for the german speaking users:
Vom Autor bestätigte Neuerungen im Total Commander 7.5
The thread has been locked by a moderator as you can see by opening the thread.
flo

Post by *flo »

I think these new features are fantastic. The only more that i can ask is to do the same with folders of a FTP conexion...

I know is more difficult but i think is very useful..Now, it only appears the drive of the FTP conexion and i think is a little poor.