Junctions not recognized on Move, source contents deleted

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Junctions not recognized on Move, source contents deleted

Post by *StatusQuo »

When deleting a junction, TC acts safe and does not recursively delete the contents behind it.
When moving a junction however, TC does recursively delete its contents.

This only applies when moving to another drive, because moving on the same drive will be done similar to a rename.

To reproduce (at least two NTFS drive letters needed to store the junction, e.g. C: and D: ):
  • - create a directory C:\TEMP1\TEMP2\TEMP3
    - create a junction to C:\TEMP1\TEMP2, stored as C:\TEMP2 (or on another drive)
    - move the junction C:\TEMP2 to D:\ (resulting in D:\TEMP2)
Result: Not only the junction is moved, but all contents are moved (C:\TEMP1\TEMP2 is empty after this)

Expected result: moving the junction C:\TEMP2 should not alter the dir C:\TEMP1\TEMP2, but instead only move the junction itself
(that would mean creating the junction at the target and deleting it from the source).

If that's not possible, to prevent data loss: TC should refuse to move, at least warn the user,
that data gets moved from a position other than the one selected.

Implementation should not be that hard, because TC is already able to recognize junctions:
on deleting they are treated correctly (not parsed recursively), while not using Explorer method.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Result: Not only the junction is moved, but all contents are moved (C:\TEMP1\TEMP2 is empty after this)
Confirmed!
Expected result: moving the junction C:\TEMP2 should not alter the dir C:\TEMP1\TEMP2, but instead only move the junction itself
(that would mean creating the junction at the target and deleting it from the source).
Yep!
If that's not possible, to prevent data loss: TC should refuse to move, at least warn the user, that data gets moved from a position other than the one selected.
If anything else fails, ok...

By the way:
The shell extension NTFS Link works correctly. You can use Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V to move only the junction. Also when this shell extension is installed, you can even safely use the Explorer deletion method.

Icfu
This account is for sale
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2icfu
By the way:
The shell extension NTFS Link works correctly.
Thanks for the hint, testing this is on my ToDo-list...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The Copy and Move functions ignore junctions and copy/move the data itself. Reason: If for example you want to make a backup to an external harddisk, copying just a junction would not backup anything at all. The same is true when moving data to a new harddisk.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I don't want to have any application destroy my junctions and data structures behind them, besides when I explicitly choose to delete them.

If you are not willing to change this dangerous MOVE feature by default, at least add an option to switch the behaviour. Thanks.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

In e.g. Midnight Commander there is just an option in the Copy dialog - "Follow symlinks" (or something similar, don't remember exact name). Why not add it into TC's dialog as well? Turned on by default, of course.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

This would be no problem if there would be a way to exclude directories by using a plug-in.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Lefteous wrote:This would be no problem if there would be a way to exclude directories by using a plug-in.
Hm... I'm not sure. You'll be able to exclude symlinks, but this won't allow you to create copies of them on another side, you'll have to recreate all the symlinks by hand.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2ghisler(Author)
Reason: If for example you want to make a backup to an external harddisk, copying just a junction would not backup anything at all. The same is true when moving data to a new harddisk.
This could be OK on copying - but never on moving, IMO.
Moving a junction/symlink including its contents, removes those contents from the original place - destroying the directory structure there.

Example: if you make a junction to C:\Program Files and move it somewhere else:
you'll end up with an empty programs folder, all (or most) programs from there may stop working, the entries in start menu get invalid.

Another example: if you try the same with a junction to your windows directory:
this will probably kill your windows installation (at least if you have admin rights).

An option to follow symlinks would be OK for me, too (maybe on by default - configurable off by default would be better).
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Not changed in TC 7.03.
JudgeAxl

Post by *JudgeAxl »

There's also an issue with junctions if you copy files between subdirs in junctioned directories on the same drive, but mapped to different drives.

Example:
Create a folder D:\target
Create a junction C:\target -> D:\target
Copy a large file into the target folder.
Show C:\target in the left pane and D:\target in the right.
Move the file with a new name (F6) from one side to the other.
Result: The file is copied to the new name and the old file is deleted.
Expected: The file should just be renamed since both panes actually show a folder on the same drive.

I don't know if it's TC or Windows that determines the appropriate action, but it'd be very nice if it could be handled, since I tend to use a lot of junctions between my two drives. I do this in order to trick Windows to put my data on an extra drive without having to hack the original paths in the registry.

Cheers
/axl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

As I have explained already, this is NOT a bug. What should TC do in your opinion when you copy a directory with junctions to e.g. an external USB harddisk? Just copy the junctions pointing to your main harddisk? That doesn't make any sense! Why would you want to copy these junctions to the external disk then?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JudgeAxl

Post by *JudgeAxl »

Sorry, I obviously meant to write move/rename in the introductory paragraph (as I did in the example steps). I would absolutely expect a copy to be a copy and nothing else.

/axl
JudgeAxl

Post by *JudgeAxl »

I see now that I should probably have started a separate thread as it seems the other posters were primarily referring to the junctions themselves. I'm only concerned about real files/folders contained within junctioned directories.

Cheers
/axl
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2ghisler(Author)
What should TC do in your opinion when you copy a directory with junctions to e.g. an external USB harddisk?
StatusQuo wrote:This could be OK on copying - but never on moving, IMO.
Using your example it is perfectly OK (only) for copying.
I strongly think TC should behave differently on moving.

When moving a dir structure like D:\archive_example (containing a link to %SystemRoot%) to an external harddisk,
I would NOT expect that my local windows system files get deleted (like it is now). :!:

Unexpected deleting of (maybe important) files I'd call a serious bug.