Synchronize Dirs problems with Chinese on SMB share in \

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kire

Synchronize Dirs problems with Chinese on SMB share in \

Post by *kire »

I've searched around a bit but I can't find anything quite like this. Sorry if it's been reported.

Anyway. I think Synchronize dirs has a bug in its handling of unicode in filenames. It's reproduced in a rather obscure way however, and I'm not sure TC can do anything about it, but think it's worth the try :)

First, create some directory with a file in it, named using some CJK characters, I pressed random keys and got 嘎提毒.txt. Then navigate to a shared directory on some other computer. (Computers running WinXP work correctly, but for example a Samba server reproduces the bug. Perhaps it has something to do with OS unicode handling?)
Copy the new file to a testing dir on this share, and proceed to compare the (identical) directories. On my computer, this results in the following:

(Can't post images yet, spam protection? It shows the Sync tool, offering to copy one file in each direction, with all file data exactly identical.)

Trying to synchronize the directories will result in TC asking me if I want to overwrite the files, and when it's done, recompare the directories and again show a difference.

Using regular XP shares or just two directories on the same PC produces no problems (ie no differences), but since the names display the same in TC I was hoping a fix would be possible.

I'm using Windows XP Home edition SP2 with TC 7.02a.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC 7 Unicode handling is far from perfect. Please retry this when TC 7.5 will be released, with full Unicode support.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kire

Post by *kire »

Ok, I will. Thanks for the quick reply!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

No Chinese user here to test this?
kire

Post by *kire »

I'm sorry to have forgotten about this topic. To my knowledge, it works like a charm. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for trying it, and sorry that TC 7.5 took so long!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com