[poll] Using the Alt+F4 button

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

$Using the Alt+F4 button

Always
21%
Once in a while
32%
Never
47%

Total votes: 102

Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

[poll] Using the Alt+F4 button

Post by *Sam_Zen »

There has been several discussions here about adding the F2 key and what function it should have.
If this would be implemented, it will take room in the function bar.

So I wondered about the Alt+F4 exit button. Because I can't remember ever having used it.
Of course this is related to my way of using TC, it's just the first app I start, and the last to close.

Although I admit that in the NC time, when this button was F10, I used it as a default to close.
Clo

Very rarely

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

:) Hi Sam !

• I voted "Once in a while", but normally I don't display the "F" buttons, that's too room-consuming…
- I use the Alt+F4 short cut rarely from the keyboard, but when needed rather Alt+X which works the same still,
and needs a single valid finger…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

In TC - never. I rarely close TC...but in general, it's a quick to close program this way.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

2 Clo
Maybe a rookie-question, but is Alt+X the same as clicking on the 'X' box at the right upper corner ?
If so, you're right about the fingers.
Clo

Absolutely !

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

:) Hello Sam !
…is Alt+X the same as clicking on the 'X' box at the right upper corner ?
Yes, it is ! Absolutely !

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ado

Post by *ado »

m^2 wrote:In TC - never. I rarely close TC...but in general, it's a quick to close program this way.
yeah, I vote "Always" in fact in relation to TC I should have answered "Never" - I am starting it as first app and it is closed only by PC shutdown or reboot
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Hmm. I should have defined this maybe more precisely.
ado has a point. When using once during a PC-session, both options could be correct.
So let's say, it's about closing TC 'in the meantime' during a session.
I shut down my PC on a daily basis, but I'm aware of the fact, that others have it active all the time.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Never. I use mainly F10 for exiting and (sometimes) the [X] close button in the title. (BTW, I even reassigned the Alt+F4 hotkey itself to calling hex editor — "alternative" F4, but of course it did not change the button's behaviour. :) )
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

Flint wrote:BTW, I even reassigned the Alt+F4 hotkey itself.....
I have reassigned it too
1. to avoid TC`s closing by closing all other programs with alt+f4 without looking to the screen. I close TC with alt+x (separately, only if needed, thery rarely).
2. to use alternative editor.
duchamp

Post by *duchamp »

I remapped ALT+Q to ALT+F4 by AutoHotKey.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Sam_Zen
Maybe a rookie-question, but is Alt+X the same as clicking on the 'X' box at the right upper corner ?
Not under all circumstances:

1: Alt-X won't close TC if: Configuration -> Quick search -> Alt+Letters is enabled. That is why TC doesn't have any Alt+Letter hotkeys by default (exept for this undocumented Alt+X hotkey IIRC)
2: Alt-X won't close TC if there is an X-hotkey in the main menu - as there for example is in the Catalan, Galician, Valencia versions of the menu or in my own Extended Menus (see sig.).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Nxqd3051990

Post by *Nxqd3051990 »

I always use Alt+F4 for exiting :)
siealex

Post by *siealex »

Alt+F4 is ALT+F4 - do NOT change it!
We are not so S.M.A.R.T. as we imagine...
Zamolxis

Re: [poll] Using the Alt+F4 button

Post by *Zamolxis »

Sam_Zen wrote:There has been several discussions here about adding the F2 key and what function it should have.
Vote: Never (the button). I close all windows with Alt+F4 from the keyboard. If I use the mouse, I just close it from the "X" in the corner.

But about F2, I hope it won't be introduced only the read "Refresh", as many of us have reconfigured it as Rename. If the basic function changes to Rename, fine by me, otherwise I'm fine with the button only if I can also rename it according to its customized function. If not, then I prefer we keep Alt+F4 (better something I never use, then something I use differently).
Mercade

Post by *Mercade »

siealex wrote:Alt+F4 is ALT+F4 - do NOT change it!
Amen. Even though I never close TC (except when updating TC), Alt-F4 should not be reused since it's the universal shortcut for closing an application.