New SFTP plugin available now

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

The screen that appears, when clicking edit connections, says SFTP4TC, based on PuTTY Configuration
Well this is related to another plugin (SFTP4TC) by Stefan "Bebbo" Franke / Hans Petrich shown as "Secure FTP Connections"

This thread is about sftpplug by Christian Ghisler shown as "Secure FTP"
#5767 Personal license
TCExplorer

Post by *TCExplorer »

sqa_wizard wrote:
The screen that appears, when clicking edit connections, says SFTP4TC, based on PuTTY Configuration
Well this is related to another plugin (SFTP4TC) by Stefan "Bebbo" Franke / Hans Petrich shown as "Secure FTP Connections"

This thread is about sftpplug by Christian Ghisler shown as "Secure FTP"
I have both, and was confusing the two, thanks.
TCExplorer

Post by *TCExplorer »

Disregard previous post. I removed sftp4tc, and followed instructions for sftpplug, and still can't login. I also did the reverse, and tried sftp4tc; but I'm not using Putty for logging in.

No luck, in either case. Love Total Commander, will continue using it for normal purposes. But for sFTP access, I'll try and find a commercial alternative to Winscp.
seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

Post by *seb- »

Not sure if this has been mentioned particularly in this thread...

I just reinstalled TotalCommander and added the SFTP Plugin.

I remembered that i have to get the libssh and libeay.dll and put them eiter in TotalCommander or the Plugin folder.

I did so... but still the plugin complained that one of the dll was missing when trying to connect.

It took me almost 20 minutes to re-read the instructions on the Addon Download page.

There it says:
This plugin needs the DLLs libeay32.dll, libssh2.dll and zlib1.dll in the same directory as the plugin, or the Totalcmd directory. (...)
Apparently the error messsage just mentions

libeay32.dll and libssh2.dll

but not the zlib1.dll

Maybe it saves some people some time in the future i the zlib1.dll would also be mentioned in the error message? This should be a quick some-minute change in the translation (at least this is my guess, i have learned from a couple of projects that sometimes translation stuff is not so easy...).

thank you

br
sebastian
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The plugin itself does not need zlib1.dll, but there are some compiled dlls libeay32.dll and libssh2.dll which themselves do need this dll...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MarthaF

Using SFTP

Post by *MarthaF »

Sorry, guys - I've installed sftpplug (C:\Program Files\totalcmd\plugins\wfx\sftpplug) - but I'm not really the computer guru in the house (he died in November) and I can't figure out for the life of me how to use it! I want to use it to upload files to the new host site for my websites (not to anything in my OWN "network neighborhood").

Can someone at least get me started? Thank you very much!
seb-

Re: Using SFTP

Post by *seb- »

MarthaF wrote:Can someone at least get me started? Thank you very much!
Did you get any information by your webhoster company on how to upload files?

usually web hoster offer FTP acces, which you do not need the SFTP Plugin for.

simply press CTRL+F to open the FTP Settings. There you will need to specify a connection to your web host with the information that the hosting company will provide you.

hope that helps a little.
MarthaF

Re: Using SFTP

Post by *MarthaF »

seb- wrote:
MarthaF wrote:Can someone at least get me started? Thank you very much!
Did you get any information by your webhoster company on how to upload files?

usually web hoster offer FTP acces, which you do not need the SFTP Plugin for.

simply press CTRL+F to open the FTP Settings. There you will need to specify a connection to your web host with the information that the hosting company will provide you.

hope that helps a little.
Yes, I have a URL and a password, but I'm told I must use a SECURE FTP connection. I think I have the tool installed now, I just don't know how to use it to make a secure connection (I am able to do simple FTP, but I am told I may not do that for this server.)
Nux

Post by *Nux »

@MarthaF I think WinSCP will be easier for you to use. It has secure FTP built in and you just need to enter url and password to connect. I think Total Commander is for more advanced users.
seb-

Post by *seb- »

There is a difference between SecureFTP (fire transfer based on SSH) and FTPS (Encrypted FTP)!

You could do both with total commander.

If you are sure you need SFTP and If you have SFTP plugin installed and you know the connection details do the following

1. In total commander, open the network neighborhood (you can find it either in the drive bar or in the drive combk box)
2. In the network neighborhood you will find "secure ftp", open it
3. Now you can create a new connection by pressing F7
4. Enter host name, username and password
5. Click save
6. Double click the connection

Should be as easy as with other tools.

You must make sure that you have some DLLs placed within totalcommander folder. Please scroll up a few posts, i discussed it there ;-)

Good luck!
skyd

Post by *skyd »

seb- wrote:I just reinstalled TotalCommander and added the SFTP Plugin.

Apparently the error messsage just mentions libeay32.dll and libssh2.dll but not the zlib1.dll
Hey seb, just wanted to say I'm one of those guys who bumped into your exact same scenario, and to say thanks for the time you saved me!
So thanks :D

(BTW, totally agree with you - zlib1.dll should also be mentioned in the error message)
seb-

Post by *seb- »

skyd wrote: Hey seb, just wanted to say I'm one of those guys who bumped into your exact same scenario, and to say thanks for the time you saved me!
So thanks :D

(BTW, totally agree with you - zlib1.dll should also be mentioned in the error message)
Don't laugh at me, but i came back to my posting just a few days after it because i already forgot again ;-)

Yeah a decent info would be nice, but as far as i understood that zlib thing is a dependency of a dependency. So it would be some effort to track all the releases and see what new dependencies there are and maintain a list of dep-dependencies...
aligator

Post by *aligator »

hi

I would like to use this in my sshd_config:

Code: Select all

Ciphers chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com,aes256-gcm@openssh.com,aes128-gcm@openssh.com,aes256-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes128-ctr
KexAlgorithms curve25519-sha256@libssh.org,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256
MACs hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh.com,hmac-ripemd160-etm@openssh.com,umac-128-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-512,hmac-sha2-256,hmac-ripemd160,umac-128@openssh.com
I would like to use it, because it is more secure.
see this: https://stribika.github.io/2015/01/04/secure-secure-shell.html

but the dll, which this plugin uses doesn't support this.
Does anyone know a newer dll, which works with this configuration?

I now use another sftp-program, but it would be great if TC supports the newest encryption-algos...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem seems to be:
Try asking in the OpenSSH developers, I'm just using their DLLs...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

That would be libssh2 developers and judging by this comparison of libssh and libssh2 and quick look in source code, where isn't a single mention of "curve25519", it's not supported yet.