A question about fonts

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

narcistrofin

A question about fonts

Post by *narcistrofin »

This one is actually a request for Mr. Ghisler if it's possible in new TC releases to make somehow a modification in tha program so that it can recognize two romanian characters correctly under Windows Vista.

Other than the normal english there are 5 more caracters in romanian language.. 3 of them are working perfectly but when I try to write the other two when naming a folder or naming a file under Total Commander I get a question mark instead of a letter.

The letters are:

Ă/ă Î/î Â/â Ş/ş Ţ/ţ

The two letters that I'm talking about are Ş/ş and Ţ/ţ.

Until Windows XP in Microsoft support for international language those letters were like this: Ş/ş Ţ/ţ
which is incorrectly in the romanian language. Starting with Windows Vista that error was corrrected therefore the letters were made with a comma under them instead of a sedile: Ș/ș, Ț/ț

An example of what happens when I try naming a folder:

After F7 I write Trenulețe [railroad trains in romanian] and what I get is Trenule?e and if I hit enter it says that "The folder with the name Trenule?e was not created"
When I try to rename a folder by changing the letter t with ț, I also get a question mark during typing and after enter... question mark changes to one of the near letters (either the one before or the oane after).

This only happens under Windows Vista because of the that change in international language support.

So, if there is any possibility in fixing this minor problem I'm asking you to do it if it's possible.

Thank you for the patience of reading this and have a nice day.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I assume that these characters belong to a different code page, and therefore require Unicode. Only TC 7.5 will support Unicode in the F7 command. Currently you have to:
1. Create the folder with a different name
2. Rename it with Shift+F6, which already supports Unicode

Make sure you have chosen a font like "Microsoft Sans Serif" for the file lists, which supports Unicode (but not MS Sans Serif).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I use SegoeUI for dialogs and Arial for file lists

The way I see it it's NOT a different code-page as they are the new standard characters for romanian. But with M$ who knows anyway...

PS: Anyone knows some tool to check which code-page a character belongs to?
TC for Linux please!
Clo

Maybe---

Post by *Clo »

2roentgen

:) Hello !

• Maybe BabelMap ?

:mrgreen:  KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Thanks Clo, indeed an interesting tool although I didn't find what I needed.

On the subject: according to KB936060 Microsoft has fixed an issue with ANSI-based applications in Vista SP1.

Some more related info is on blogs.msdn.com

Now, if only I could find another ANSI based app to check how it behaves... ;)
TC for Linux please!
narcistrofin

Post by *narcistrofin »

Thank you for the reply and for reading this.
As I've seen this is a common problem for other softwares too. When I name (or rename) a folder in Vista, I do it in My Computer. When I open the Total Commander the letters are perfect and right. When I enter the folder... the path name shown above in that blue line box is with 7 characters plus ~ and a number afterwards but the files inside that folder, and even the files with diacritics in names are ok.
For example I have a picture in a folder named like that, and also with a diactritic in that name. My jpg file association is with ACDSee which can't open the file itself due to those characters, but if I open the pictures with Vista Image viewer, or Paint, or Adobe Photoshop, everything it's OK.
There is no hurry in making this small change but I thought of telling you, maybe you'll consider to make a change in future releases. Thank you.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I enter the folder... the path name shown above in that blue line box is with 7 characters plus ~ and a number afterwards but the files inside that folder, and even the files with diacritics in names are ok.
Total Commander can only show Unicode files and folders, but not enter Unicode folders - it enters them by their alternate 8.3 name (DOS name). Only TC 7.5 will be able to enter such folders.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Odd as it seems "șț" are indeed unicode in Vista (just as odd as it would be if "ö" would be unicode in a german system).

As I was wondering where I could find an ANSI only app I just discovered that most (~90%) of my "tools" aren't unicode aware. Beyond shame...
TC for Linux please!
Clo

ANSI too

Post by *Clo »

2roentgen

:) Hello !

• BTW :  There is another ANSI version of BabelMap

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
HAL 9000

Post by *HAL 9000 »

I have the same problem entering unicode folders isn't possible. I read it's possible with 8+3, how can I do this?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does this work correctly now with TC 7.5 beta? Anyone?
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

No it doesn't in Win7 and I'm rather sure it doens't in Vista either.
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what works and what doesn't:
- Can you copy files with these characters in them?
- Are there any fonts which can show these characters?
- Can you enter them via Alt+numbers or some other key combinations?
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

Can you copy files with these characters in them?
Yes. Copy, move, zipping, raring.
Are there any fonts which can show these characters?
SegoeUI does and most others do also.
Can you enter them via Alt+numbers or some other key combinations?
NO.

Interesting facts:

- F7, Shift+F5 or Shift+F4 on such a file DISPLAYS the characters just fine. Only when manually typing șț they are shown as question marks.

- Rename inline with Shift+F6 source file "11șț.txt" to "șț11șț.txt" produces "1111șț.txt" (intermediate filename while renaming shown as "??11șț.txt")
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some more questions:

- How do you type them manually? I mean, when I set my keyboard to Romanian layout, what do I need to type these letters? Note that I don't know the Romanian layout, so please try to explain what keys you press releative to known keys, e.g. two to the left of the "L" key

- Do they work for example in notepad? I ask because TC 7.50 beta 4 now has a Unicode main window, so it should be have like a Unicode program...