TC hangs when marking directories

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fhub

TC hangs when marking directories

Post by *fhub »

Hi,

on my new Vista system TC 7.04a hangs when I mark a directory which contains those strange NTFS folder links (<LINK>), and TC tries to calculate the folder size!

Under my old system (with Win98) this was no problem at all, so is this a bug in TC or isn´t it possible any more to let TC calculate the folder size under Vista (when there are such <LINK> in a folder)?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Franz.

Are you using some content plugin which calculates the folder sizes automatically in the background?
This plugin might be confused because of the hard- and softlinks which are frequently used under Vista.
If the plugin incorrectly takes a link to a folder for a folder, then you easily end up in an endless loop which in the end may make T.C. to hang or which in bad cases may lead to a crash.

Kind regards,
Karl
fhub

Post by *fhub »

Hi Karl!
karlchen wrote: Are you using some content plugin which calculates the folder sizes automatically in the background?
no, I´m not using any plugin at all, it´s just a fresh TC install on my new Vista notebook. I´ve only changed the setting that TC should compute the foldersize when pressing ´space´ on a directory.
It indeed looks like hanging in an infinite loop, but not of any plugin but of TC itself!?

Regards,
Franz.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC hangs when marking directories

Post by *HolgerK »

fhub wrote:... TC 7.04a hangs when I mark a directory which contains those strange NTFS folder links (<LINK>), and TC tries to calculate the folder size!
- What directory?
- What happens if you choose right click menu -> "Properties"? Does Explorer count the size of the directory correctly?

Regards,
Holger
fhub

Post by *fhub »

HolgerK wrote: - What directory?
- What happens if you choose right click menu -> "Properties"? Does Explorer count the size of the directory correctly?
Well, it happens with every directory containing HFPS links, e.g. ´Users´ (which the Explorer displays as ´Benutzer´), and the Explorer has no problem with counting its size.

In the meantime I´ve found that exactly the same problem exists with e.g. the ´Branch View´ feature (Ctrl-B) of TC, also with this function TC hangs on such folders.
So it seems TC is no longer useful under Vista with NTFS links!?

Regards,
Franz.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Franz.
No, this statement over-generalizes too much.

I use T.C. on Vista like I have been using it on Win98se, WinNT, Win2K, WinXP, and Win2003 for years now, i.e. without experiencing any major misbehaviour.

It is imaginable that particular functions like "calculate occupied disk space" do no longer function properly on Vista, because T.C. might follow links as if they were the genuine folders thus getting into endless loops. - Will have to check whether T.C. 7.04a commits this mistake as soon as I am back on my Vista machine.

Might be that someone else has reported the same problem on Vista before. So searching the forum for similar problem reports may reveal some helpul information.

Kind regards,
Karl
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

fhub wrote:Well, it happens with every directory containing HFPS links, e.g. ´Users´ (which the Explorer displays as ´Benutzer´), and the Explorer has no problem with counting its size.

In the meantime I´ve found that exactly the same problem exists with e.g. the ´Branch View´ feature (Ctrl-B) of TC, also with this function TC hangs on such folders.
I can not confirm this with Vista 32Bit ultimate.

As Administrator all directories below "C:\Users" are counted correctly.
Branch view shows 11688 files.

Running TC7.04a with UAC restricted rights, only "C:\Users\Administrator" isn't counted.
Branch view shows 11090 files.

Maybe a link to a non accessible drive?

Is it possible to stop the directory counting using the <ESC> key?

Regards,
Holger
fhub

Post by *fhub »

Hello Karl,

I´ve already searched for my problem yesterday in this forum, but unfortunately couldn´t find any related bug reports.
OTOH I really can´t believe that nobody else has already discovered this TC problem with NTFS links under Vista, because Vista isn´t that new (and I´m quite sure that I´m not the only one who is using this TC feature).

Of course it might also be a problem of my Vista installation, but (as I already mentioned) I´m coming from Win98 and don´t yet have any experience with Vista - and my new notebook had already pre-installed the complete Vista-OS (with included applications). When I´m looking at (and going through) my folder structure in C:\ I´m more than confused, there are sooo many NTFS links (also in the sub-folders), that there might in fact exist ´circular´ links which cause those infinite loops - but I won´t expect this from a pre-installed system (and of course Windows shouldn´t allow such circular references at all).

So I´m really curious if you can confirm these problems on your own Vista system.

Best wishes from Austria,
Franz.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]fhub,
You have posted the same question on the German forum already - TC hängt beim Markieren von Verzeichnissen.
Please no crossposting next time.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
fhub

Post by *fhub »

HolgerK wrote: Maybe a link to a non accessible drive?

Is it possible to stop the directory counting using the <ESC> key?
Hi Holger,

I´ll answer you in my other thread in the ´TC (Deutsch)´forum, because it´s much easier for me to use my own language.

And also for Karl:
If it´s ok for you, I would prefer continuing this thread in the German forum.

Thanks,
Franz.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I´ll answer you in my other thread in the ´TC (Deutsch)´forum
Just about when this thread was getting interesting...
TC for Linux please!
fhub

Post by *fhub »

roentgen wrote:
I´ll answer you in my other thread in the ´TC (Deutsch)´forum
Just about when this thread was getting interesting...
Well, it seems not to be very interesting to others as you can see from the very few answers (maybe nobody else than me has this problem with TC), but if we find out the reason of this (mis)behaviour, of course I´ll post our findings here again. :)
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

In my Vista x64 I have:

In TC
c:\Users\All Users\ 1.293.769 k
c:\Users\Arthur\ 734.477 k
c:\Users\Default\ 1.491 k
c:\Users\Default User\ <LNK>
c:\Users\Public\ 221.220 k

Total for above: 2.250.957 k

c:\Users\ 2.250.958 k

In explorer
C:\Users 934 MB (980.161.762 bytes) = 957.189 k

Which is right and which is wrong?

And to be on topic: TC doesn't hang ;)
TC for Linux please!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I had some reports where a Vista hard link in a subdir pointed to one of its parents, so an endless loop would occur when trying to count the space of this folder. The same loop would occur when copying, using branch view etc. That's probably the reason why Microsoft never included any tool to create such hard links in any Windows version. The best solution is to remove such links causing infinite loops...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

c:\Users\All Users\ 1.293.769 k
This one should definitly not counted because it's only a backward compatibility of pre-Vista applications hack.

- "C:\Documents and Settings\" points to "C:\User"

- "C:\Users\All Users\" and "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users" are both pointing to
-> "C:\ProgramData"

Regards,
Holger