Unable to delete mp3 files after play it

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Impeeza

Unable to delete mp3 files after play it

Post by *Impeeza »

Hello there, i am using Total Commander 7.04a and using IrfaView as Multimedia Visor. when i select a list of mp3 files and listening using [F3] key (the lister window open using Irfanview Control) then when i close the Lister Window and try to delete one of mp3 file can't be done because the file is still in use, i must close Total Commander in order to be able delete the file
Impeeza jaja
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are you using a Lister plugin to play the mp3? It doesn't happen here with the internal media player plugin.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
kronda

The same problem

Post by *kronda »

I'm having the same problem. I noticed it because I use Lister to play mp3 which reside on my external hard drive and after that I could not disconnect it because the mp3 files played by Lister were still in use. I checked that using ProcessExplorer from sysinternals, totalcmd is having handle open to these files. I believe the internal media player plugin is in use. The only Lister plugins I have installed are SynUs and visualdirsize which should not have anything to do with mp3s. I have also configured Lister to use IrfanView for images in formats other than BMP but that has nothing to do with the problem because I have also tried to disable this integration and the issue still occurs. I'm using 7.04a and I did not notice this problem with previous versions.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It could also be a faulty codec. You can find out what codec is used by downloading and running Graphedit from Microsoft (use e.g. Google to find it). Then drag the mp3 to the running Graphedit.
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

In this case, a tool to check out which codecs are on your system : Sherlock.
kronda

Post by *kronda »

Hi guys, thanks for your quick replies.

I inspected the filter/codec set when playing mp3 using GraphEdit as you suggested. The only thing between the mp3 file and the actual DirectSound output device was AC3Filter. Ok, the first thing is that this codec is also used by Windows Media Player, because I use it to amplify audio in some movies, however, I don't have the problem with open files when using WMPlayer. Ok, it may use the codec in some other way. So I tried to uninstall AC3, GraphEdit show now directly mp3file->outputdevice, so there is nothing left...and still, with Total Commander I have the same problem with mp3 files being open after playing them with Lister.

If I understood correctly, you cannot reproduce this problem. Well, then I see it must be caused by something else, but I don't see why WMPlayer does not exhibit this behaviour. Do you have some other idea, please?

I have also noticed in ProcessExplorer that there are two handles open to the mp3 file. Just in case this triggers some idea.

I have also tried version 7.03 and it is the same problem so I was probably wrong with the previous statement that older versions were fine. I'm not sure, though, if I've ever used 7.03 before...

David
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

kronda,
Does this happen with a clean ini?

Code: Select all

totalcmd.exe /i=.\fresh.ini
What does Unlocker say?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
kronda

Post by *kronda »

Hi Hacker,
thanks for your response.
Does this happen with a clean ini?
Yes, it does.
What does Unlocker say?
Well, I don't really know what you mean. The file is locked (twice) by totalcmd and I can unlock it by Unlocker, that's it, no further information. I guess all possible information can be extracted from sysinternals' ProcessExplorer...

David
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

kronda,
I guess all possible information can be extracted from sysinternals' ProcessExplorer...
Ah, yes, I overlooked that, sorry. Hard to say, then. Perhaps Process Monitor would be even more detailed?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

If it's a plugin that causes the lock you could identify it with Nirsoft's Process Activity View (column "Opened by Module").
Opened Files View might also be useful.
H@ns

Post by *H@ns »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Are you using a Lister plugin to play the mp3? It doesn't happen here with the internal media player plugin.
Where can I find this "internal media player plugin"?
Thanks in advance!

H@ns
Clo

Built-in

Post by *Clo »

2H@ns

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !
Where can I find this "internal media player plugin"? …

:D Nowhere, as its name says, it's built-in… Just try to play your file with F3.
That works here, I never installed any Lister MP3 plug-in… ;)

:mrgreen:  Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Patrick van Dijk

Post by *Patrick van Dijk »

Hi all,

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem using TC 7.04a and TC 7.50 beta 5. Found no extra codecs while examining SysInternals process monitor and FileMon logs (only Quartz.dll, which is afaik normal DirectSound device).

GraphEdit shows my mp3 directly connected to the 'Audio Input pin (rendered) of the 'Default DirectSound Device'.

Tried to 'view' mp3s from local drives and network drives. TC locks all mp3s that I view until I exit TC.

Hardware is Dell Lattitude D830 with Windows XP SP2
Audio hardware: SigmaTel High Definition Audio

No solution for this yet?

Regards,

Patrick
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I'm not aware of any reason why this should happen (and it doesn't happen here)...
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Patrick van Dijk
There was security hole in Quartz.dll:
http://blogs.technet.com/srd/archive/2009/05/28/new-vulnerability-in-quicktime-parsing.aspx

Maybe your problem is related to it somehow. If that's true: I am afraid there might be no patch for it :(
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...