Should F2 become the default for renaming?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Should F2 become the default for renaming?

Yes
63%
No
25%
I don't care
12%

Total votes: 583

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

TC is NOT an Explorer clone - if people wants Explorer behaviour, then they should use Explorer.

After all, the behaviour of TC is originally based on DOS programs like Norton Commander or Volkov Commander - In those F2 opens the User Menu.

So if F2 should be changed to anything else but refresh - it should be to open the Start Menu :idea:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

TC is NOT an Explorer clone - if people wants Explorer behaviour, then they should use Explorer.
I totally agree.

There is no standard keyboard shortcut list for all applications (although MS wants to see it like this, but having different keys at their own progs)

It doesn't matter which key is chosen for renaming.
Up to now lets say 100 users will ask why F2 doesn't rename a file.
After changing it to RENAME some other 100 users will ask why F2 doesn't refresh ...

So it is even wrong and right anyway.
#5767 Personal license
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

Maybe the real solution would be to let the user choose between a Windows or Norton Commander shortcut preset.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
VaagOH

Post by *VaagOH »

I always manually remap F8 to rename, since the original function is delete, but I use 'Delete' for that ;)

At the place where you can reconfigure keyboard shortcuts ["Misc"], it would be nice to have some kind of screen to "Reset to TC classic keys default" or "Reset to Explorer keys default" option.

And make the "Explorer keys" the default option. :)
bb

Post by *bb »

i don't show function key buttons, use ctrl-r for refresh and shift-f6 for rename ... so i absolutely don't care :)
mfg, bb
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

change F2 to rename: yes,
because in many (Windows-)Applications F2 is used for that and Ctrl-R for refresh works fine (just like in IE, Mozilla, etc) After all, its configurable anyway, so who has used TC for a while would easily be able to rechange this option to Shift+F6.

I think an even better way would be an option to switch between two Option-presets, like mentioned before in this thread. So the classic preset will let TC behave like it is at the Moment (which is great, I think), and an "Explorer Mode" would change some Options to be more Windows-like. Personally, I change the following Options first when I install TC:

- Extensions displayed directly after filename
- Font Tahoma 8 plain
- File selecting like in Windows with left Mousebutton, right MB for Contextmenu
- Quick file search with just typing letters, not w ALT+Shift, I use this quicksearch much more often than the Command line
- Renaming Files using F2

I think these few options could let TC be easier to use for new users who are used to the windows interface, than with the NC-like behaviour. So I think two switchable Interface-modes could be a chance to reach more users with TC, because some users take only a few clicks to overview a new program and some of hem may reject TC just because some of their first tries did not deliver results in the expected way (just like F2, when the Source has not changed and the user sees nothing).

:) StickyNomad
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 29-12-2003 03:04:11 +0000 petermad wrote:

p> So if F2 should be changed to anything else but refresh
p> - it should be to open the Start Menu

Yeah, let's get to the basic %). The problem is that there is no internal command to open User menu.[/face]
Tobbe

Post by *Tobbe »

What I would really like is that when you try to rename something only the actual name gets selected, not the extension. For example, if you select photo.jpg and press F2 or whatever to rename it, only "photo" gets selected, not "photo.jpg".
I hope you understand what I mean

//Tobbe
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Tobbe:
Read ghisler's answer:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2003

Translation:
Something like that is being planned.

By the way it already works with Ctrl+M (Multirenametool). Just enter the new name instead of [N].

Or Hacker's:
Use normal rename and enter .* as last keys.

Icfu
Tobbe

Post by *Tobbe »

Thanks for the answer and the translation, I'm a bit rusty on my German... :)
mad

Post by *mad »

Please, don't change F6 to f2 !!
I use TC (among other obvious reasons) for its compatibility with Norton Commander (which I still use under DOS).
The use of Shift+f6 allows us not to hit "rename" by mistake (as f2 lies between f1 and f3). I know it may seem strange for people used to the Expl0rer, but as a matter of fact you can also re-click on the filename to change it, as in expl0rer.
How many of you have never hit f3 instead of f4 and vice-versa? I find this would be a source of errors.

P.S. F# stands for Shift+function key number #, whereas f# stands for function key number #. In the same way, ^f6stands for Ctrl+f6, and ^F6 for Ctrl+Shift+f6.
Jesco

NO

Post by *Jesco »

I think <Shift F6> is the better place for the Rename-Command than <F2> just because the other file operations (copy, delete ..) are there too.

If you want to make it easier for explorer users to switch to Total Commander then you should provide different keyboard schemes as proposed in the threads above. Just change the shortcut is an annoyance for the current users - and there is really no need to adjust TC's behaviour to this stupid (or better say unsophisticated) WinExplorer.

BTW: it would be great if the Options-Dialog for changing shortcuts would show which shortcuts are already used, so you could define your own shortcuts on free combinations.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Yes, F2 is a good idea. Why? Have a look here if you are interested:
Feature redesign of function keys+Shift/Ctrl

Icfu
J.A. Gruys

Post by *J.A. Gruys »

I would not mind VERY much, but it would take the rest of my life to get accustomed to it...
J.A.G.
Krajan

Post by *Krajan »

I've been using WC for a long time & never use the FileExplorer; so I don't know how to use the latter...
But I'm used to hitting f2 in other progs, like ACDSee. I know its there so I use it frequently...
BUT... on the other hand, to change names on a few files in TC I click on the name and edit it; or I'll use the (hmm...) multiple-file-renaming-function <Ctrl + M> (thank you for that superb function!!!).

So either way is fine with me :)