wincmd.ini or totalcmd.ini ?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

$what name of the main ini-file do you want/prefer/like ?

i don't care
19%
ini? i never saw an .ini file. i use the config-dialogue only
No votes
the name of the .ini should be the same as the .exe file, which is refering to it
23%
i prefer a totalcmd.ini for integrative/uniform/consistently reasons
25%
wincmd.ini is used since ages. why change it?
14%
i prefer the wincmd.ini for sentimental reasons
12%
it won't changed anyway for compatibility-reasons, so don't bother me
8%

Total votes: 155

versalzen
Power Member
Power Member

wincmd.ini or totalcmd.ini ?

Post by *versalzen »

hi,
i just discovered the poll forum, so i want to start a somewhat useless poll to lose some time...

i've recently read anywhere in a thread which discussion was about giving the totalcommander ini-files a new name-schema, like renaming wincmd.ini to totalcmd.ini or somewhat.

as i'm getting older and older, remembering things gets quite slower, so i just ask this question to you all.

do you prefer the name wincmd.ini for the main-ini-file of tc, or
do you prefer some other name, i.e. totalcmd.ini ?
Was nützt der Löffel für die Weisheit, wenn man zu weit vom Suppentopf entfernt sitzt?

Mario
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

I use _wincmd.ini. The reason is "wincmd.ini is used since ages. why change it?" + in this version it's on the top of the list.
versalzen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *versalzen »

m^2 wrote:I use _wincmd.ini. The reason is "wincmd.ini is used since ages. why change it?" + in this version it's on the top of the list.
thanks for voting.
i use the date-sorting in tc folder. ([Shortcuts] C+4=cm_SrcByDateTime) by that, i can see all the newly changed (mostly .ini)files and see "what changed" with a single view.
Was nützt der Löffel für die Weisheit, wenn man zu weit vom Suppentopf entfernt sitzt?

Mario
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

versalzen wrote:
m^2 wrote:I use _wincmd.ini. The reason is "wincmd.ini is used since ages. why change it?" + in this version it's on the top of the list.
thanks for voting.
i use the date-sorting in tc folder. ([Shortcuts] C+4=cm_SrcByDateTime) by that, i can see all the newly changed (mostly .ini)files and see "what changed" with a single view.
It's not in my TC folder. ;)
Neither is totalcmd.exe.
I have another folder for configuration (mostly, but not only TC config) and wincmd.ini is the file I use the most.
Alextp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Alextp »

bad poll.

#1 almost = #2
#3 = #4
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

agreed.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I use _wincmd.ini. The reason is "wincmd.ini is used since ages. why change it?"
For example because you cannot use the string wincmd in menu files, as ghisler has implemented a nonsense autoconversion:
An entry like click here to directly edit wincmd.ini turns into click here to directly edit Totalcmd.ini". Absurd...

Besides that it would only be consistent to finally reflect everywhere that this is TOTAL COMMANDER and not WINDOWS COMMANDER anymore.

Icfu
This account is for sale
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

icfu wrote:
I use _wincmd.ini. The reason is "wincmd.ini is used since ages. why change it?"
For example because you cannot use the string wincmd in menu files, as ghisler has implemented a nonsense autoconversion:
An entry like click here to directly edit wincmd.ini turns into click here to directly edit Totalcmd.ini". Absurd...

Besides that it would only be consistent to finally reflect everywhere that this is TOTAL COMMANDER and not WINDOWS COMMANDER anymore.

Icfu
I agree, this conversion is nonsense. But I don't think that this ideology is enough reason to make user configs / programs that assume wincmd.ini name stop working.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

There is no need to make "wincmd.ini stop working". ghisler can implement TC ability to look for both files. If totalcmd.ini isn't found, wincmd.ini is used, no prob. But, new installations should only create totalcmd.ini.

As an alternative I suggesst tc.ini or tc_main.ini (we have redirect now), then the wcx_ftp.ini can be changed as well, to tc_ftp.ini to add even more consistency.

Icfu
This account is for sale
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

I understand that. But what if user has references to wincmd.ini in the .ini?
Another nonsense conversion? Even then you won't have compatibility with poorly written programs.
New installations could use totalcmd.ini. But I don't like this kind of dualism, such hesitancy doesn't look any better than current inconsistency.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

But what if user has references to wincmd.ini in the .ini?
Search and replace, even Notepad can do that. If user doesn't want to, there's no need to.
Even then you won't have compatibility with poorly written programs.
New installations could use totalcmd.ini. But I don't like this kind of dualism, such hesitancy doesn't look any better than current inconsistency.
Well, you cannot have everything. Either you want backwards compatibility at all costs, like ghisler, wasting a tremendous amount of time to implement workarounds for this and that, or you want progress and tell your users to either stick with the old crap or migrate to the new crap.

If "poorly written programs" are a reason to not change to a better concept, well, that's not my kind of philosophy, it only means living in the past.

Icfu
This account is for sale
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

icfu wrote:
But what if user has references to wincmd.ini in the .ini?
Search and replace, even Notepad can do that. If user doesn't want to, there's no need to.
Even then you won't have compatibility with poorly written programs.
Well, you cannot have everything. Either you want backwards compatibility at all costs, like ghisler, wasting a tremendous amount of time to implement workarounds for this and that, or you want progress and tell your users to either stick with the old crap or migrate to the new crap.

If "poorly written programs" are a reason to not change to a better concept, well, that's not my kind of philosophy, it only means living in the past.

Icfu
I know users can update their programs and configs, but why force them to do it? Just because you want to show the world that you're making a brand new program, "Forget about Windows Comander, Total Commander will make you happy!".
No thanks, that's not worth it IMO. And I think that the reason for this workaround was to save development time.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Like I said above, there is no need to force them to use totalcmd.ini. It was YOU who told me that you don't like such kind of "dualism".

eot from my side. Have fun.

Icfu
This account is for sale
pawnara

Post by *pawnara »

wincmd just sounds better and it's used from the beginning, why change?
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Of course it's logical to have the ini file with the same name, but it's no rule.
As long as it's recognized, it's fine.
This is part of how things went in the history of TC.
And 'wincmd' is not violating the anathema by M$, the reason for 'Total' in the first place.