750PB1:Installer,wrong text

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

karlchen,
Do you really want me to forward this comment to that US guy who said all 3 wordings seemed perfectly OK to him?
I have no idea who you mean but by all means, do. ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

ABSOLUTELY !

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker

:) Hi Roman !
…No offence to any native speakers but there does not always have to be a direct correlation between speaking a language natively and mastering its nuances. …
• I agree totally ! It's that I said already to our Dear Author recently (in the ß-forum)…
…Just my 3 cents.
• Inflation in Slovakia too ? :P

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

:arrow: Hacker

I agree too ! Just reading "French" texts in any French forum proves this,
the real good French speaker risks a lethal heart crisis at each line ! :lol:

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Clo,
Inflation in Slovakia too ?
The damm crysis.

Vansumsen,
lethal heart crisis at each line
Bonjur mersi. 8)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

karlchen wrote:Leaving the message as it is currently is perfectly all right. An American speaker said so only a few minutes ago. :wink:

If he had to pick one of the 3 messages discussed in this thread
"Total Commander is already installed in: <foldername>"
"Total Commander has already been installed in: <foldername>"
"An installation of Total Commander already exists in: <foldername>"
he would not have to think too much about them, because they are equally acceptable to his ears, and he would very likely choose the shortest sentence.
They are equally acceptable to his ears. But are they also grammatically correct? The native English speaking people in the threads I mentioned on forums about the English language do not seem to think so.

Here is another fine link about the subject:
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/047.html#PARTICIPLES

"Total Commander is already installed" would normally mean Total Commander is already being installed by someone or something. If "installed" is an adjective, then it means Total Commander is already in an installed state. Like "The car is already green. You don't have to paint it." or "The car is already a green car." or in this case "Total Commander is already an installed Total Commander."

So when "installed" is to be considered to be an adjective, it means something different. I don't think it was Christian's intention to say "Total Commander is already an installed Total Commander." I think he wants to say "Total Commander has already been installed (by someone)."
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

white wrote:I think he wants to say "Total Commander has already been installed (by someone)."
... and then totally removed (by someone) who now tries to install it again :)

IMHO "Total Commander is already installed in" is more correct.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will just append a colon ":" to make it more clear.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

DrShark wrote:
white wrote:I think he wants to say "Total Commander has already been installed (by someone)."
... and then totally removed (by someone) who now tries to install it again :)
No, the present perfect is used for past events that are still relevant. So "Harry has been driven to hospital" means Harry is still there and "The car has been painted green" means the car is still green and "Total Commander has been installed." means Total Commander has been installed and hasn't been removed.

So using present perfect here would be right on.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, white.

You are right. Using the present perfect is perfectly all right and it is what we all have learnt at school. In case the installer displayed the message "Total Commander has already been installed in: <foldername>" this phrasing would be semantically and grammatically all right.
(The colon does not really matter. Its presence or absence makes no difference.)

The point is that the current phrasing "Total Commander is already installed in: <foldername>" is semantically and grammatically all right, too.

And the phrasing suggested by Claude, "An installation of Total Commander already exists in: <foldername>", is semantically and grammatically all right as well.

All three variants have been approved as correct by a group of native speakers from the USA.

To be precise I asked one American guy first and got his ok. And he asked the same questions to some people whom he knows and who are not computer illiterates.
Having read several tousands of forum posts written by my reference speaker during the past few years and some of his blog posts as well has convinced me that he does write correct English to the same extent as all we wiseguys participating in this neverending thread do write our own native languages correctly.

Summary:
It is a fact that all 3 sentences suggested/discussed in this thread,
+ "Total Commander is already installed in: <foldername>"
+ "Total Commander has already been installed in: <foldername>"
+ "An installation of Total Commander already exists in: <foldername>" ,
are equally correct.

So there is absolutely no reason why Christian should not stick to the current installer message and leave it as it is (with or without the colon).

Hence, I would not have moved this thread to the "TC7.5 confirmed bugs" sub-forum, but definitely to the "TC7.5 Behaviour which will not be changed" sub-forum. The reported bug has never been a bug at all. And the suspected grammatical mistake is no grammatical mistake.

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
By the way, the T.C. splash screen displays the message "This copy is registered to: <License owner name>". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Clo

Render to…

Post by *Clo »

2karlchen

:) Hi Karl !

• Some last words :
…And the phrasing suggested by Claude, "An installation of Total Commander already exists in: <foldername>", is semantically and grammatically all right as well.
Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, it is the Peter's suggestion, I just supported it…
…"This copy is registered to: <License owner name>".
• A nice bone of contention in sight… :P To me : <Owner's name of the licence>

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Render to…

Post by *karlchen »

Good evening, Claude. Good evening, petermad.
Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, it is the Peter's suggestion, I just supported it…
I apologize to Peter. :oops: And as usual, this glitch will be fixed in the next beta release. :wink:

On the spelling of the term license:
As our especially dear friend LEO tells us: license is AE, licence is BE. :)
So, Claude, we are both right.

Cheers,
Karl
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Render to…

Post by *white »

karlchen wrote:On the spelling of the term license:
As our especially dear friend LEO tells us: license is AE, licence is BE. :)
Correct. I've mentioned that too.
In [url=http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=149562#149562]posting 149562[/url] white wrote: By the way. Why would Christian Ghisler use the British English spelling for the word "licence" and American English spelling for the word "color" (see American and British English spelling differences)?

Overall the English spelling used in TC looks more American than British. What spelling is intended by Christian Ghisler, American or British English?
Clo

Yes, which ?

Post by *Clo »

2white

:) Hello !
…Overall the English spelling used in TC looks more American than British. What spelling is intended by Christian Ghisler, American or British English?
• That's the question… Similarly, here in the board section titles, one can see “Behaviour…” (British spelling),
and here and there mainly U.S. spelling in the programme and Help…
- Personally, I use the British spelling and turns.
I think that which spelling must be used in TC might be clearly defined once for all…
- This was done in the XnView forum, although that doesn't mean that all users respect that rule, but it's defined…

:mrgreen: R
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2009-04-30, 23:10 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I will just append a colon ":" to make it more clear.
Confirmed that the colon is added in beta 2.