7.5: QuickFilter: Better dialog placement

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

7.5: QuickFilter: Better dialog placement

Post by *m^2 »

See the screenshot.
I see 2 problems there.

First, it goes below the lower edge of the main TC window. As you can see it partly covers the Windows task bar. I think that no program should do this in maximized state, only if user moved it that low in the windowed mode.

Second, it covers the left side of the status bar. Status bar is supposed to show some useful info (for me: file/directory count) and simple moving the dialog to the right would make it more functional.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Full screen it works fine. But it does do what you said if you make the window small enough. I'm not sure how it could be fixed and still leave enough room to look right in a small window. I run full screen so I never noticed it before.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Can you post a screenshot?
I did mine with fullscreen on...
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Use the funktion key buttons. It will help. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

m^2 wrote:Can you post a screenshot?
I'm on a widescreen monitor and I have the DOS bar enabled so that might make a difference.

User of Total Commander
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Samuel wrote:Use the funktion key buttons. It will help. :lol: :lol: :lol:
What do you mean? :o
Boofo wrote:
m^2 wrote:Can you post a screenshot?
I'm on a widescreen monitor and I have the DOS bar enabled so that might make a difference.
I have a widescreen too (1680x1050).
I don't know what the DOS bar is.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

If u activate the function key buttons (options -> layout) the quick search wont cover the Windows task bar. Because of the additional space. :D :D :D

Btw: You have my vote.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

I also dislike that the status bar is covered by the QS-dialog and valuable infos are not visible. Especially when I use branch view and the status bar shows the path of the current file, which is not visible in the file panel.

Quite a while ago I posted a suggestion to solve this issue in the beta forum:
StickyNomad wrote:Maybe the quicksearch dialog could behave the same way the command line does: When the command line is activated, it is displayed below the status bar and the height of both file panels is reduced accordingly. This way every interface element of TC still stays fully visible. ... The 'quicksearch bar' is opened below the status bar and the input field is shown below the active file panel.
Fake screenshot: http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/8493/qsdscreenerbp4.png
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: 7.5: QuickFilter: Better dialog placement

Post by *Postkutscher »

m^2 wrote:First, it goes below the lower edge of the main TC window. As you can see it partly covers the Windows task bar. I think that no program should do this in maximized state, only if user moved it that low in the windowed mode.

Second, it covers the left side of the status bar. Status bar is supposed to show some useful info (for me: file/directory count) and simple moving the dialog to the right would make it more functional.
1. I can confirm such a bechaviour, but I think it is not a problem so far partly covered taskbar elements remains visible.
2. Moving this dialog right can help only on thery wide monitors, but in the same time makes it difficult to control typing. Men`s look must follow file names left and typing window right.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2m^2,

Here is what I see when I enable that.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1381/search.png

User of Total Commander
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

StickyNomad wrote:Especially when I use branch view and the status bar shows the path of the current file...
Thanks didn't knew that!
I always renamed the file to get the path.

I dont like your suggestion, because of the waste of space. (IMO)
I think it should be just above the status bar, because I think the last files are not so important.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2StickyNomad
looks nice, but where from came another line? When switching filtering on/off this line must flicker?!
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

Support++ for Samuel's suggestion.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

@Boofo
Your screenshot shows point 2, but not 1 because you have command line opened. Works like Samuel's function buttons.
I think it should be just above the status bar, because I think the last files are not so important.
Sometimes they are. Such judge is very wrong. TC is supposed to manage well all files, not only the ones at the beginning of the list. Sure user can reverse sorting order and scroll but what for? Definitely not worth it.
I'm not a big fan of StickyNomad's suggestion either, but it's fine for me as long as the bar appears only when needed.

I think that moving the dialog right would mostly fix (2). Except for very small resolutions and very long paths.
StickyNomad's solution would fix both completely at the expense of very bad look and slightly shorter file list. How about showing such bar only in 1 panel? Would be better IMO.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Samuel
I dont like your suggestion, because of the waste of space. (IMO)
Well, it would be shown only when activated, not always. But indeed the height of the file list would be reduced and show 2 or 3 files less, but as you said:
because I think the last files are not so important.
Your suggestion to show it above the status bar 'in' the filelist would be fine for me too.

2Postkutscher
According to my suggestion, it would exactly behave like the command line when it is hidden by default.

But I think Samuel's suggestion is indeed better, this way the target panel wouldn't be affected and no flickering could occur because no interface elements would need to be resized.

So Support++ for Samuel's idea.
Last edited by StickyNomad on 2009-05-04, 17:22 UTC, edited 1 time in total.