7.5: QuickFilter: Better dialog placement

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

m^2 wrote:
Samuel wrote:I think it should be just above the status bar, because I think the last files are not so important.
Sometimes they are.
You wouldnt see the last 1.5 Files. For more files you currently have to scroll anyway. (Quicksearch disappears)
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

I`m against any changes since they are either palliatives or even worse than it is now.
I`m especially against Samuel`s suggestion. I want not delete my files by mistake if they were not visible.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Postkutscher wrote:I`m against any changes since they are either palliatives or even worse than it is now.
I`m especially against Samuel`s suggestion. I want not delete my files by mistake if they were not visible.
How could you delete a file by that?

You have to make the Quicksearch window disappear to remove files!
Last edited by Samuel on 2009-05-04, 17:32 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Postkutscher wrote:I`m against any changes since they are either palliatives or even worse than it is now.
Well, I think that depends on the personal preference. For me it is very annoying that the QS-dialog hides valuable informations, as I use it quite often. So my only wish is to keep the status bar visible when QS-dialog is shown, and my idea was one possible way to achieve that.

After all it could be optional and the current behaviour could be kept the default.
Postkutscher wrote:I want not delete my files by mistake if they were not visible.
Hm, that's a point indeed.
Samuel wrote:How could you delete a file by that?
F8 works, even when the QS-dialog is shown.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Why not have it floating like in EditPlus and IE? Then you could move it where you want to a you use it. Also, m^2, thanks for pointing out number 2. I never paid attention to it as I don't use it all that often.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

StickyNomad wrote:
Why would I select the last file manually and press F8 by mistake.
Also the recycle bin is used.

Shift+del doesnt work this way.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

How about using command line as text input for filter when alt+s was pressed?
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Samuel wrote:
m^2 wrote:
Samuel wrote:I think it should be just above the status bar, because I think the last files are not so important.
Sometimes they are.
You wouldnt see the last 1.5 Files. For more files you currently have to scroll anyway. (Quicksearch disappears)
Unless you're at the bottom already (or filtering moves the bottom high enough).
Samuel wrote:
StickyNomad wrote:
Also the recycle bin is used.

Ctrl+A, Ctrl+S,...
You'd have to notice quick enough to be able to restore from the recycle bin...if it even exists, sometimes it doesn't.

ADDED: Shift+F8 works on my computer with quickfilter on.
Last edited by m^2 on 2009-05-04, 17:56 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2Samuel
Well, I still like your suggestion, but I think considering possible safety issues should be mandatory. If I select a file before I do a quick search, the file remains selected and If I then use (SHIFT+)F8, the selected file is deleted and not the current one where I 'quicksearched' to.
But this could also occur with the current positioning of the QS-dialog when a selected file is scrolled out of view, so this is independent from the QS-dialog's positioning.
Such a thing didn't happen to me in all those years though...
But SHIFT+F8 does work
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

EDIT: The quicksearch window is removed and file is selected before the popup with delete confirmation is viewed.

IMO its a very small safety issue.
But lets see what Christian says.
Last edited by Samuel on 2009-05-04, 18:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

StickyNomad wrote:2Postkutscher
According to my suggestion, it would exactly behave like the command line when it is hidden by default.
It is the best solution from all in this thread at my opinion. I`v just made some tests on two my computers with hidden command line (normally I have it always on) and no annoyance detected.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

IMO its a very small safety issue.
I agree. And like I said, this issue already exists, it would just increase a slight little bit in the rare case that the selected file is shown in the last 2-3 lines of the filelist (that would be covered by the QS-dialog)...

And once again: it could be kept optional, so everyone could set his prefered behaviour.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

StickyNomad wrote:And like I said, this issue already exists
I don't think so, IMO the scrollbar is good enough indication that something's there. Samuel's suggestion introduces invisible files.
And who presses F8 and then waits with further actions long enough to notice that there was something covered? Myself I press enter w/out even noticing that I do this. I guess that everybody either does so or uses some automation like KillOK. Yes, the dialog disapperars, but it's too late, the files can be considered gone already.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Postkutscher wrote:
StickyNomad wrote:2Postkutscher
According to my suggestion, it would exactly behave like the command line when it is hidden by default.
It is the best solution from all in this thread at my opinion. I`v just made some tests on two my computers with hidden command line (normally I have it always on) and no annoyance detected.
Better yet, it could swap out the command line during the search for those that have it enabled. Can't really use them both at the same time anyway.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I don't think so, IMO the scrollbar is good enough indication that something's there. Samuel's suggestion introduces invisible files.
And who presses F8 and then waits with further actions long enough to notice that there was something covered? Myself I press enter w/out even noticing that I do this. I guess that everybody either does so or uses some automation like KillOK. Yes, the dialog disapperars, but it's too late, the files can be considered gone already.
The question is then: What did you try to delete with pressing F8?
Could you give me an example?
Samuel's suggestion introduces invisible files.
Another question: Didnt the breadcrumb menu introduced invisible files before? :lol: :lol: :lol: