F T P: “OPTS UTF8 ON” command not understood…

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

F T P: “OPTS UTF8 ON” command not understood…

Post by *Clo »

:arrow: ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,

• Now, TC 7.5 ß-… sends always the command in the title to all servers, but a few support it - it seems-
i.e. I get with the one of my provider :

SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
AUTH TLS
PBSZ
PROT
211 End
OPTS UTF8 ON
501 OPTS: UTF8 not understood
- Should it be possible to prevent the sending of that command when it isn't supported ?

• What do you think ?

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
edhunter

Post by *edhunter »

I'm not sure but I thinnk that there is now way for ftp client to know if this command is supported

edit: sorry ignore or delete my post
i didnt see the log..
it seems that may be is possible to check for utf
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Clo
I think you've missed other board thread (?t=4208).

Simply spoken:
TC uses two methods to check if server supports UTF-8: SYST command and mentioned OPTS UTF8 ON. This is how "Encoding of file names: Auto-Detect" works.

I think there might be no way to "resign" from this feature other than switching UTF-8 OFF in connection settings dialogue. I didn't check it though.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Clo

What to do ?

Post by *Clo »

2edhunter

:) Hello !

• Just FYI : You may edit¦delete your own post wthin a 8-day delay.
Beyond, you can't.
- You can edit sine die though, but only when you are the start-poster (for updates).
-------------
2fenix_productions

:) Hi Karol !

• I saw that topic, but the start message was about a server supposed to support UTF-8, so I didn't make the link… :?

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2Clo
TC sends the command OPTS UTF8 ON to servers even if you choose UTF-8 manually - this is done because some servers only return UTF-8 when this command is sent.

The difference to auto-detect is the following:
1) When you connect with encoding is set to auto-detect, and the server returns an error on OPTS UTF8 ON and doesn't signal UTF-8 via SYST, then TC assumes that the server doesn't support UTF-8.
2) When you connect with encoding is set to auto-detect, TC still sends OPTS UTF8 ON, but ignores any errors reported by the server (the user did choose UTF-8 ).

Sending OPTS UTF8 ON shouldn't have any negative impact for servers which don't support the command, they will just reply that they don't support it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Clo

Waiting for improvements---

Post by *Clo »

2ghisler(Author)

:) Good evening,

• Thank you for the info, actually that doesn't hurt, just adds fat to the log…
- I also wondered that this server doesn't support UTF-8, our biggest national provider
is rich enough to install and configure its hardware better ! :lol:

- Hoping that this will be improved @ Orange (after NNNNN… users' requests, probably).

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo