SVG file icon does not appear in TC

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Nux

SVG file icon does not appear in TC

Post by *Nux »

In previous versions of TC an icon for SVG files appeared (from Inkscape). Now I get a "blank" (default) file icon in TC but still see correct icon in Windows Explorer.

Windows XP SP3, TC 7.50 b4 and b5
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Nux
Strange because there is no SVG preview in Explorer here (I have Inkscape installed). Also neither TC 7.04a nor 7.5 shows them.

Maybe you had some shell extension (from Adobe or Renesis) installed and it got corrupted somehow? I don't think Inscape integrates with Explorer.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Nux

Post by *Nux »

fenix_productions wrote:2Nux
Strange because there is no SVG preview in Explorer here (I have Inkscape installed). Also neither TC 7.04a nor 7.5 shows them.
Not preview I mean an icon. View a folder with SVG files in the Windows Explorer and you will see pretty much this icon. To be more exact in TC 7.04a you will see that icon exactly and in WE you will see this icon inside a default file icon. That is if you will associate SVG files with Inkscape.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Nux
I cannot confirm. Inkscape icon is always visible here.

Does it stopped working for any TC version or i.e. it works with 7.04a but not 7.5pb5? Can you check it?

If older and newer TCs give the same results then it's easy to fix: just assign SVG files to Inkscape using TC interface (File -> Associate with). If not - problem exist elsewhere.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Nux

Post by *Nux »

fenix_productions wrote:2Nux
I cannot confirm. Inkscape icon is always visible here.

Does it stopped working for any TC version or i.e. it works with 7.04a but not 7.5pb5? Can you check it?
It stopped working in some beta release (I have beta 5 now). I've also reinstalled 7.04a and the icon works there...
If older and newer TCs give the same results then it's easy to fix: just assign SVG files to Inkscape using TC interface (File -> Associate with). If not - problem exist elsewhere.
I had SVG files associated with Inkscape (using standard Windows file associations), but after associating with TC it appeared... Strange, but I guess it's OK now.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The main difference between TC 7.5 and 7.0 is that TC 7.5 now supports the new subkey "UserChoice" under Vista and newer. Please start regedit and go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.svg

Now please choose File -> Export and export just that branch (.svg) and then copy the contents of that file here to the forum. It should be just a few lines.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Nux

Post by *Nux »

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.svg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.svg\OpenWithList]
"a"="firefox.exe"
"MRUList"="bdac"
"b"="Inkscape.exe"
"c"="TOTALCMD.EXE"
"d"="thunderbird.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.svg\OpenWithProgids]
"svgfile"=hex(0):
I think I had FF assigned to SVG and then I assigned it with Inkscape... Anyway after I removed assignment from TC, resorted this manually, restart, reassigned with Windows (open file), restart TC it all started to work. So my guess is that new TC didn't used MRUList here or somehow got confused with my settings ;-).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, none of these settings is used by TC. The OpenWithList is just for the right click "open with" submenu...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com