No quick filter mode status indicator

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

No quick filter mode status indicator

Post by *Lefteous »

TC shows a filter icon in the bottom right to indicate that a quick filter currently filters the file list. Unfortunately this doesn't indicate that the quick filter mode is turned on. What do you think about displaying the filter icon even if the current quick filter is the trivial one ("")?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Lefteous
I am not sure it's good idea because either we need another icon to indicate that content is filtered or there will be some misunderstanding.

Currently TC shows when you filter something and this icon disappears i.e. on directory change. That way you know when you see all the files. Without additional icon, it could be harder to realise that.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I have suggested something similar here: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=22324
I think it may be good for QF also.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2fenix_productions
My point is: Even if a filter is set the icon doesn't inform if all files are displayed or not (e.g. all files match the filter).
So it would be great to have a "x/y displayed" info and permanently visible icon which informs if the filter mode is active.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Lefteous
I know there might be no difference between full match. I agree that having x/y info might be also useful but without two different icons it would be harder *for me* to spot difference. I.e. green and red icons to distinguish matching filter from non matching one.

The reason is simple: I don't need to stare at indicator to know I am filtering something. I can notice it with the corner of my eye. With permanent icon I would have to read the label every time I am filtering something. It might sound strange but when I need to move eyes focus from little up from center of the screen to its bottom, it slows me down due to eyesight problems. Of course, I can change overall DPI settings but in such case the rest of TC looks too bad.

On the other hand: as an option it might be OK.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

solid
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *solid »

I support the "x/y displayed" option, it is very good idea.