Quick filter and selections

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

j.x

Quick filter and selections

Post by *j.x »

Hello dear TC friends!

I'm really happy that my old suggestion from 2003(!), and many other users have suggested similar functionality, finally is implemented, and that so many other users also likes it!

I use it constantly! :D

However, I have two small issues after having used it a while. Here's the first one, and the second will be posted in another thread.

When I QuickFilter (QF) my file list to display only files containing (for example) FOO, then selecting (Insert-key) some of the hits, and after that presses Escape twice to restore the complete list, the selections are still active. That's expected and very good.

But, if I now want add some of the files containing (using QF, another example) BAR, the list is reduced, AND the selections for the mismatching FOO files are gone.

This is probably the safest thing to do, as long as the last QF is active, but I think it would be expected that, after selecting some of the BAR files, and restoring the full list by pressing Escape twice, the selections should be left active for both my FOO and my BAR files.

Best regards, and thanks for your super software!
/j.x

(using TC 7.5 PB5)
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Edit: Support.
This is probably the safest thing to do
Dont you know Christian? :-)

Perhaps introducing checkboxes before the files and folders to select things would be a solution. Then it would be clearer that the user wants to keep the selection.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it would be very risky to keep the selection of not displayed files - most users would not notice that there are more files selected than shown. Therefore I prefer to keep it as it is now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com