Quick filter - entering a pattern giving 0 results

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

j.x

Quick filter - entering a pattern giving 0 results

Post by *j.x »

Hello dear TC friends!

I'm really happy that my old suggestion from 2003(!), and many other users have suggested similar functionality, finally is implemented, and that so many other users also likes it!

I use it constantly! :D

However, I have two small issues after having used it a while. Here's the second one (the first was posted in another thread).

When having QF (Quick filter) active, and typing a pattern that doesn't match any files at all, the QF just ignores the keypress(es) that does not match anything.

Example: When trying to filter files containing GOLD (and there are no files containing a G), the QF ignores that key, and starts collecting a pattern starting with the O, and so on). When looking at the result, you may find files like BOLD, COLDER, FOLD, since they match the three last entered letters... Then you wonder what happened, since none of them matches what you searched for. :(

I.M.H.O. I think it would be more "fair" to accept the keys and adding them to the search pattern, and presenting an empty match list. In this case, you can immediately see that there are actually NO files matching the search. And that is more often what you need to know (I guess).

Best regards, and thanks for your super software!
/j.x

(Using TC7.5 PB5)
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

You could use this. (with allow_empty_result=1)
j.x

Post by *j.x »

Samuel wrote:You could use this. (with allow_empty_result=1)
Seems to work very well! :)

Actually, this dll helps me with both my Quick Filter issues (selections and empty list), since if I want to select some of the files containing CAT or DOG, I can type CAT|DOG, then select from the list!

Thanks!

//j.x

PS It would be nice to have this behavior natively supported by TC :wink:
Using Windows without Total Commander is like driving a car without a steering wheel!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

j.x wrote:PS It would be nice to have this behavior natively supported by TC :wink:
I disagree. TC already supports this behaviour by supporting such DLL. So, any man can make for yourself any kind of filtering (if TC will support this internally, it will be hard to satisfy wishes of all the people and to make changes in the filter algorithm).