Possibility to stop message boxes

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pzYsTorM

Possibility to stop message boxes

Post by *pzYsTorM »

Hi

Imagine you have to copy 200GB data from one harddisk to another. There are some files corrupted but you are away from keyboard. TC informs while copying that some data cannot be read and some data cannot be written (perhaps because filenames cannot be longer than 255 chars). And some files are ony readable as Admin (Vista), so there is "yes, you should become admin and transfer *then*".
No one clicks OK and so the whole day is for the birds, if the error message appears f.ex. at 5% of the copy process.

So it would be very nice, if these error messages did not appear and instead of get appended to an error log like in WinRAR: At the end of the whole process I can go through the log and see which errors occured.

Also at the "folder synchonize" TC stops, when there are case problems (lower / upper case). You have to hit "OK" each time.

Summarized:
- A check box (in the copy dialog when pressing F5) would be nice, that all files gets overwritten and no message box appears
- A check box in the folder synchronization, that these case errors does not appear.
- In both cases a summary error log like WinRAR

Thanks a lot.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, pzYsTorM.

I assume some of the available copy options may have slipped your attention (T.C. 7.50 PB6):
+ Options >> Advanced Options:
+ Overwrite Options: e.g. 2. Overwrite All
+ [x] Skip all which cannot be opened for reading
+ [X] Overwrite / delete read-only / hidden / system

Fully qualified pathnames may be longer than 255 characters. The limitation is that each path component cannot be longer than 255 characters.

T.C. has got a logging functionaility: Go to Configuration => Options => Log File and configure the logging options which fit your needs.

HTH,
Karl
pzYsTorM

Post by *pzYsTorM »

Hi karlchen

its just incredible. There is indeed a fifth, new button "Options" in the copy dialog... I did not notice it.

And the logging options to a file... yes, it is sufficient... but an appearing dialog displaying this log if any error occured would be very nice :-)

And concerning the 255 chars:
Yes, you are right. Ive just tried that. But sometimes it is very strange. TC refuses to create a directory (f.ex. 20 chars). But if I strip that and create a directory with only 10 chars, it is working. In these cases its a real deep directory, that one might think a fully qualified filename can only be 255 chars. Dont know if its just a broken filesystem (in my cases all of them were NTFS).

Regards
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

There is indeed a fifth, new button "Options" in the copy dialog... I did not notice it.
This is a good base to continue the betaboard discussion. I have to repeat myself: The solution in 7.5 is not better than in 7.0.
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

But, what I miss, is a copy option which allows to turn off notification of path names longer than 259 chars. Or is there a hidden INI option?

Regards,
CoolWater
pzYsTorM

Post by *pzYsTorM »

CoolWater wrote:But, what I miss, is a copy option which allows to turn off notification of path names longer than 259 chars. Or is there a hidden INI option?

Regards,
CoolWater

Oh, yes, please. This message box is very annoying. There should be a hide option in the copy dialog.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This notification cannot be hidden because 99% of all programs cannot handle names longer than 259 characters.

There is currently only an undocumented option to control the behaviour of the long name warning dialog:
[wincmd.ini]
LongNameCopy=0

Warn if name longer 259 characters:
0=always,
1=never,
2=if source isn't longer than 259 characters
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com