"Microsoft Windows Search" in TC

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

omdawe

"Microsoft Windows Search" in TC

Post by *omdawe »

Sorry i saw that some other people been writing about this in 2004 and 2005 on this forum but i like to take this up again.

My "Microsoft Office Outlook 2007" been nagging me for years to download and try "Microsoft Windows Search" and finally i did so. I been trying it in response time to my standard TC search i always use.

I would like to think i have my TC search down as a science for my 8 hard drives I have connected inside my computer, and i do search these disks every day.

And the "Microsoft Windows Search" won by far then my standard search on TC, but it believe it only won as this program monitor my disks.

But as that is a crappy MS Windows program and it opens results and the search window in separated Windows Explorer windows. I don’t like that. I do know i can change this so it would open in TC if i change the settings in my Windows to use TC as my standard Explorer, but then again it would open another TC window (i think). But this is outside the point.

I think if TC had that search as a standard on the top right corner as this is almost is a standard in most programs today.

But i like this to have some more advanced options for this search, like Monitor some folders/harddisks (or turn off automatic Monitoring, can be the standard? maybe) and when people search in this search box automatic the search results comes up in the tab on the right side, left side or optional in a new tab.

But also a setting if i connection to a new disk should TC search automatic try to index this files or not.

And I guess as the "Microsoft Windows Search" have when the computer is working on a disk then it would not search to much for the Index!?

This is just something I think would ease the work flow. What do everyone think? Any ideas or is this crap?
valexiev

How to invoke Windows Search from TC?

Post by *valexiev »

AFAIK, TC Search cannot search text in Office documents (I'm mostly interested in Word, Excel, Project).

As an alternative, is there a way to invoke the Windows search on the current directory?

Thanks for all your help!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is a checkbox for Office Xml (e.g. .docx). For .doc, you can just use ANSI+Unicode UTF-16 text search.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
valexiev

Post by *valexiev »

Thanks!!!
This works even for Cyrillic, and for MSProject files.