Silent crash on context menu command in LAN

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Silent crash on context menu command in LAN

Post by *MVV »

I found strange bug. I have opened network path with english-russian folder names and spaces (encoding Win-1251): "\\srv1\dtu05\abcd\dddd\абвгдежзикл\мноп рстуфхцч ужж\ПППП пппп ппп\5555\Ииии" (it's an example that bugs also). I have a file in it, for example named "Бла бла бла 13.07.09.doc". In most cases (sometimes not, but rarely) TC crashes w/o any messages when I try to choose 'Copy To...', 'Move To...', 'Send To' - 'Mail'. Sometimes TC crashes when I just try to open context submenu... No matter first instance or fifth.

After some hours :) I have a reason, but I don't understand why... I tried to remove lines from INI etc... and found that with my WCMD_RUS.mnu TC crashes and w/o it NOT!!! Many times I repeated experiment, and this had place.

I don't know why network path and menu file together make TC crash (in local paths and if \\srv1\ is mapped as Z:\, all work fine).

I tried to copy TOTALCMD.exe from TC 7.04 into my TC7.5b6 folder and run it - it crashes also.

I don't know, maybe it's a Windows bug, but w/o menu file TC doesn't crash and does crash with it (I had tested more than 20 times).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, cannot reproduce with German Windows, there is no crash with such path. I will try it with Cyrillic encoding later.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce this error either with Russian locale. I assume that it's again caused by some problematic context menu shell extension. Try using shellexview (make forum search to find the instructions, it's a very common problem).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com