[TC 7.5pb6] Win95Delete=1 deletes without confirmation!

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

[TC 7.5pb6] Win95Delete=1 deletes without confirmation!

Post by *deus-ex »

Critical bug!

With the configuration setting Win95Delete=1 (use Windows explorer delete routines) Total Commander deletes files and non-empty directories without any confirmation request! Enabling the confirmation setting deleteDirs=1 (ask to delete non-empty dirs) does not improve the issue, no confirmation prompt is shown when deleting non-empty directories!
I'm using Windows XP SP3 here.

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, deus-ex.

You must have switched off the Windows Recycle Bin confirmation dialogue.
In order to check, right click the Recycle Bin, please, and check whether at the bottom of the dialogue box the little tick box is empty: [_] Display delete confirmation dialog. If it is then of course Windows will not ask before deleting. And T.C. will not ask, either, because you told it to leave the deleting job to Windows.

I have just set Win95Delete=1 and restarted T.C 7.50 pb6. Windows asks me whether I really want to delete folder blabla including its contents into the recycle bin.

T.C 7.04a behaves in the same way as T.C. 7.50 pb6 in case you have set Win95Delete=1.

Windows XP Prof, SP2, 32bit.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2009-07-14, 13:04 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2deus-ex
Works correctly here.

Of course, TC does not ask but Explorer does it instead. It is the same for 7.04a.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

norfie²
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie² »

OMG, it's not a bug but a feature. It's the well known way deleting files without any confirmation.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2fenix_productions

Thanks for your comment.

2karlchen

Thank you for clarification and describing a solution. :)

Yes, the Recycle bin delete confirmation dialog was switched off here. This is maybe due to the fact that I usually do not have the recycle bin enabled. It was just today that I tried to see whether the Windows delete routine works faster, which indeed is the case for me.

However, although not a bug in the classical sense I consider the current behavior quite dangerous, say a bug in terms of data security. At least TC's online documentation should be enhanced with a description that warns about this situation which could lead to accidental data loss. Also I suggest to modify TC's configuration dialog accordingly, be it either with a tooltip or a pop-up window displaying a caution note when the user activates this option (or both for the better).

2ghisler(Author)

Christian, what's your opinion on this matter?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed this is fully intentional - there are some people who want to have delete confirmation turned off completely, and this is the only way to get it in TC. Please note that you will ALWAYS get a confirmation when the files are deleted directly, so there should be no danger of data loss.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com