FTP copy date set to now

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

brahman

FTP copy date set to now

Post by *brahman »

Hi,

when I drag & drop a file to an open ftp pane, the file copied shows the current date instead of the original file date.

When copying to the pane thru synchronize, the file dates are equal.

In case this behaviour is wanted for some reason, it would be good to be able to switch this behaviour if one uses ftp to copy between private PCs, so as to keep file dates in synch even when just doing normal drag and drop.

Regards,

Brahman
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: FTP copy date set to now

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, brahman.
when I drag & drop a file to an open ftp pane, the file copied shows the current date instead of the original file date.
This is unrelated to drag and drop and will happen, to, if you use <F5> to copy. :wink:
More important, this behaviour is normal for FTP servers. When transferring files to an FTP server, the FTP server will set the file timestamp to the current point in time when it receives the file.
There is no defined way of telling an FTP server to assign a particular timestamp to a file.

If you transfer a file from an FTP server, it is no problem to keep the file time which the file had on the FTP server, however.
Yes. But in order to achieve this, T.C. will change the filedates of all transferred local files to the filedates which the FTP server assigned to the received files. (Cf. the section "Synchronize dirs and FTP servers" inside the T.C. helpfile, please.)
In case this behaviour is wanted for some reason,
As I tried to explain, the behaviour is not really wanted, but somehow inevitable until one fine day there will be a defined way of instructing an FTP server to adopt the local filestamps for received files.

Kind regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
The described issue is not new in T.C. 7.50pb8, it has been the same in T.C. 7.04a as well. :wink:
brahman

Re: FTP copy date set to now

Post by *brahman »

karlchen wrote:
Yes. But in order to achieve this, T.C. will change the filedates of all transferred local files to the filedates which the FTP server assigned to the received files. (Cf. the section "Synchronize dirs and FTP servers" inside the T.C. helpfile, please.)
Thank you for pointing me to that section in the help file.

It clarified some things, and some not ... (or the behaviour of TC as declared in the help file is different from TC7.5???).

If I would do a synchronize from my LOCAL desktop computer where TC runs (as FTP CLIENT) to my Tablet PC where my FTPServer runs, according to the help file

QuoteHelp: "The synchronize function sets the date/time stamp of the local file to the date/time of the remote file after it has successfully uploaded the file. Now the two files will look identical!"

my local files time stamp would be changed to the remote files time stamp which should be the current time, since the FTPServer (running PFTP - The Personal FTP Server) is right next to me, i.e. in the same time zone running also Windows XP.

BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE! TC is somehow able to tell the Server to give the transferred file to the Server the SAME timestamp as my local files and does NOT change my local time stamps - f.e. 21st June 2006 remains 21st June 2006 on both sides (manually verified on Server locally also).

So ... if TC (or possibly the Server) can change the transferred remote files time stamp to the local files time stamp in a synch operation it should then also be able to change the time stamp of the remote file in a simple copy or drag&drop operation -- see my first post.

Could you please verify if the laws of TC in your place work the same as here or am I dreaming or something??? Same original local time stamps on both sides after synching via FTP .

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Brahman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, copying the FTP timestamp when uploading is currently NOT supported in normal copy operations, because there is no fixed standard (internet RFC) yet. TC supports it in the sync tool, but only as an option. Unfortunately most servers do not support it yet anyway because there is no standard.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
brahman

Post by *brahman »

Thank you for your clarification, ghisler.

Since it works well for me when synching, I assume it works well for many others too.

Would it not be easy to have an option in the ini file with which FTP timestamp copying could be turned on? (Since it is already there in the synching tool ...)

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Brahman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, it wouldn't be easy:
1. The user would have to set the time difference between client and server somehow
2. The user would have to choose when to copy the timestamp and when not
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com