white
Power Member
Power Member

750RC1: Error in zip not detected after copy or move

Post by *white »

Tested using Windows 98 SE.

* Create a text file named "123.txt" containing the text "123"
* Pack the file using ZIP compression into a file named "123.zip"
* Edit the file named "123.zip" using a hex editor and look for "123.txt" at the end. Remove everything after the dot and save the file.
* Test the corrupted zip file in Total Commander. The error "Error in archive file!" is shown.
* Copy the corrupted zip file to another folder or to another name. Or simply move the corrupted zip file to another folder.
* Test the corrupted zip file in Total Commander. No error is shown!
* Test other similar corrupted zip files in Total Commander. No error is shown!

* Close Total Commander and start Total Commander again. Or simply test a valid zip file.
* Test the corrupted zip file in Total Commander. The error "Error in archive file!" is shown.

This bug is also present in earlier versions of Total Commander. At least since Windows Commander 5.00.

Corrupted zip file (UUEncoded):

Code: Select all

begin 644 123bad.zip
M4$L#!!0``@`(`.Z<%#O28TB(!0````,````'````,3(S+G1X=#,T,@8`4$L!
M`A0`%``"``@`[IP4.])C2(@%`````P````<````````````@`````````#$R
",RX`
`
end
sum -r/size 4474/92
Save above text in a file named "123bad.uue" and decode it using Total Commander to create "123bad.zip"
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Can't reproduce that
Using TC 7.5 RC1 under XP SP3
The bad archive is always be reported as Error in packed file.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

white wrote:* Test the corrupted zip file in Total Commander. No error is shown!
* Test other similar corrupted zip files in Total Commander. No error is shown!
This is always the case for me under Win98 SE rus, no matter if I test a valid archive between other or not. The error is never shown to me on alt+shift+f9 and always shown on enter. BTW. it seems to be gone after installing msia ( which came automatically with Opera9.64 ).

Under Win2000 TC behaves normally.

Under WinXP SP3 it cames sporadically. I can`t say that I could observe any logic here.

Tested with TC7.50RC1 under Win98 SE rus, Win2k SP4 Rollup1 rus, WinXP SP3 rus.

So. Confirmed!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe you have enabled the option to read from bad zips in Configuration - Options - ZIP?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

With "keep damaged files" and "open partial Zips" unchecked I can stable reproduce White`s report under:
Win98 SE
WinNT4
Win2000 SP4 Rollup1
WinXP SP3
Win7 X64

The keyword was "after copy".
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Maybe you have enabled the option to read from bad zips in Configuration - Options - ZIP?
I used default options (fresh ini file).

2Postkutscher: Thanks for the confirmation.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm the bug too.

I check the damaged file with Alt+Shift+F9 and get the error message "Error in archive file!"

Then I copy ANY file to somewhere else and test the damaged file again - nothing happens!

If I then do any file operation exept for copy or move (for example test another valid zip file, or just delete ANY file) then I once again get "Error in archive file!" when testing the damaged file with Alt+Shift+F9.

NOTE, this only applies to testing with Alt+Shift+F9. Pressing Enter or Ctrl+PgDn still gives the expected error message.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually it's not a bug. If you check "open partial Zips", the check function will report only bugs within a file, but not when the central directory is gone, because the option "open partial Zips" can unpack also zip files without a central dir. Try changing an archive in the middle to get an error.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Actually it's not a bug. If you check "open partial Zips", the check function will report only bugs within a file, but not when the central directory is gone, because the option "open partial Zips" can unpack also zip files without a central dir. Try changing an archive in the middle to get an error.
The report is about the case where "open partial Zips" is UNchecked. When testing the mentioned corrupted archive using Alt+Shift+F9, sometimes an error is shown, sometimes not. Why is this not a bug?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Actually it's not a bug. If you check "open partial Zips",
"Open partial ZIP files" and "Keep damaged files (bad CRC)" was unchecked during my testing. Please just try and do wat is described by white and me.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

white wrote:The report is about the case where "open partial Zips" is UNchecked. When testing the mentioned corrupted archive using Alt+Shift+F9, sometimes an error is shown, sometimes not. Why is this not a bug?
Exactly. UNchecked.

2ghisler(Author)
You must have overlooked something. Please, reread/retest...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It seems to be a selection problem, not a zip testing problem. when I select that file and another one further down in the list, I do get an error message, but not when I select just the copied zip. I will check what the problem is.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

How will that explain that if I delete ANY file (after having lost the zip test error message), then the display of the error message is back in place again.

Somehow copying ANY file (it doesn't have to be the tested zip file - It doesn't even have to be a file in the same directory as the zip file) suppresses the error message from the zip test - it is very weird indeed.
Last edited by petermad on 2009-08-24, 19:31 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

petermad wrote: Somehow copying ANY file (it doesn't have to be the tested zip file - It doesn't even have to be a file in the same directory as the zip file) suppresses the error message from the zip test - it is very weird indeed.
Confirmed.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

white wrote:
petermad wrote: Somehow copying ANY file (it doesn't have to be the tested zip file - It doesn't even have to be a file in the same directory as the zip file) suppresses the error message from the zip test - it is very weird indeed.
Confirmed.
Also confirmed here.