no filelist update after filtered quick search (7.5pb8)

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sgp

no filelist update after filtered quick search (7.5pb8)

Post by *sgp »

It seems to me that TC isn't updating the file list when it returns from a quick search. It's a minor issue, but it does make keyboard operation unnecessarily more difficult. Specifically try:

With all these settings enabled:
refresh
when files are created, deleted and renamed,
also when size, date, or attributes change,
don't react to changes while in the background enabled, directory/file list update enabled,
quick search
by letters with dialog enabled,

Do:
type a few characters to select a file subset,
click on one of the files to start it,
create a new folder in the same directory (don't use TC to create it, use CMD - I didn't try Explorer)
press ESC until TC shows the whole file list again in the panel.

Is the new directory in the list? It isn't in my case. I keep the list sorted by date, newer at top, sort folders also. With these settings I think I should see the new folder right at the top of the list, but it isn't there. To view it at this point I have to click the refresh icon, or go up one folder and come back.

Tried on XP sp3 and Vista English.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

The newly created folder should be shown at the bottom of the list.

IIRC Christian decided so because otherwise the whole list must be sorted again. I cant understand this too, because its unexpected and an additional filesort shouldn't take so long.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Cannot reproduce, the new folder is definitely in the list, both with and without auto-refresh options.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

But its at the bottom, perhaps he didnt expected it there...
sgp

Post by *sgp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Cannot reproduce, the new folder is definitely in the list, both with and without auto-refresh options.
Not for me, it really isn't there unless I manually refresh. It isn't at the bottom of the list either, it just isn't there.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

how do you create it?
What name does it have?
What are you filtering?
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Yeah that's a slight bug, it appears at the bottom...

Not only that, but the New Folder appears below the filenames too, no matter if you are sorting by Filename or Date.
Happens if you create the folder in Explorer or CMD prompt - but not if you create the folder in TC while the filter is active.

PS: Do not have: [ ] Put added files at the END of the filelist, enabled.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

when files are created, deleted and renamed,
also when size, date, or attributes change,
don't react to changes while in the background enabled,
Mh I can reproduce it with "WatchDirs=11". Tried with my "WatchDirs=3" here.

I can create folders in Explorer / Commandline and they do not show up. in the list. Even not after i exit QS mode by pressing ESC.

I don't know this behavior is by design. -> Like described: TC doesn't react to the changes occurring in background.

@Christian:
Perhaps the end of the Quicksearch should result in a refresh.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Cannot reproduce [...] without auto-refresh options
Without autorefresh the files also are not shown in list (when created in the time when the list is filtered by QS)

@sgp:
You can disable: "don't react to changes while in the background enabled" as a workaround. I love it this way.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, the folder always shows up here when I end quick search, although it's not sorted in.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Strange I could reproduce it very easy:
1) Use this ini.

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
WatchDirs=11
2) Start Quickfilter (Ctrl+s) for "abc" (there should be a file like abc.txt in the folder)
3) open Explorer and create a new folder (or file) in the dir where the Quickfilter is active.
4) go back to TC and remove Quickfilter by pressing "ESC"
5) the new folder is not shown
...although it's not sorted in.
Do you plan to change this?
Last edited by Samuel on 2009-08-22, 19:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sgp

Post by *sgp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, the folder always shows up here when I end quick search, although it's not sorted in.
Samuel is right on (thanks Samuel), I have watchdirs=11 and that's when it happens. I changed options to watchdirs=3 by disabling "don't react to changes while in the background", and now I can see the new folder being created at the bottom of the list, which is another (minor) issue in its own right because it isn't in sort order.

I don't think that quick search qualifies as TC being in the background, do you?
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I don't think that quick search qualifies as TC being in the background, do you?
In my reproduce steps TC is in the background. (because of explorer) You didn't answer my previous question how you create the folder.

"don't react to changes while in the background" should work the following way:
If TC is in background (not the active window) then it does not refresh the list. If it comes to foreground it gathers all directory changes and updates the file list.

But if it comes to foreground when Quicksearch is active then it doesn't handle the directory changes. Thats the point.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

In my reproduce steps TC is in the background.
I see - the problem here is that TC doesn't refresh the file list when you switch away from it and back and a quick filter is used. The only way to get directory updates while a quick filter is active is to enable auto-refresh notifications, also while TC is in the background. Currently you would lose the quick filter if TC would make a refresh while a filter is active, just as when you press F2 or Ctrl+R manually.
sgp

Post by *sgp »

Let me try to answer both Samuel's and Christian's point.
I wrote:...create a new folder in the same directory (don't use TC to create it, use CMD - I didn't try Explorer)
Samuel, in truth I create the new folder with a CMD script, I click the script file from TC. But you're right, when the script's running TC is in the background.
then I wrote:...press ESC until TC shows the whole file list again in the panel. Is the new directory in the list? It isn't in my case.
Am I correct in assuming that after pressing ESC in TC to dismiss the quick search, TC should not be the background anymore? If so, then when the quick search is dismissed TC should update the directory, at least that was my expectation (with Watchdirs=11).
ghisler(Author) wrote:I see - the problem here is that TC doesn't refresh the file list when you switch away from it and back and a quick filter is used. The only way to get directory updates while a quick filter is active is to enable auto-refresh notifications
I wouldn't want any updates while the quick filter is active. I would expect an auto-refresh after dismissing the quick search by pressing ESC (with Watchdirs=11). If possible, of course :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I understood that - currently it's unfortunately not possible.