TC7.5 - No plugins in Network Neighbourhood under breadcrumb

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

TC7.5 - No plugins in Network Neighbourhood under breadcrumb

Post by *fenix_productions »

It is not a valid bug report but rather pointing out that there might be some problem with breadcrumb. I need to check it deeper but considering that 7.5 final is slowly coming it is better to write my discovery down.

Yesterday I was using for a short time my friend's PC. He has no Internet connection but many TC WFX plugins installed on his Win XP Pro.

The problem is: it was possible to go to Network Neighbourhood and see all plugins using drive buttons, drives combobox or Alt+Fs but there was absolutely nothing there in breadcrumb menu (there should be WFXes shown).

But, as I said, I need to check it better on his machine because I cannot reproduce such behaviour on mine. I hope this is a false alarm.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Currently the breadcrumb menu will show the Network Neighborhood only when there is a network connection, sorry. Maybe I will change that in a later release.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Currently the breadcrumb menu will show the Network Neighborhood only when there is a network connection, sorry. Maybe I will change that in a later release.
Sounds as if it's finally time to move FS plugins out of the network neighborhood :-)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Support+++
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Support for moving it somewhere else.

Although current state is not consistent: users can see filesystem plugins from anywhere else except breadcrumb. It looks like something simply overlooked.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I always thought FSPlugins should be here:
\\My Computer\
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I prefer to keep them in Network Neighborhood because it can be reached directly via Alt+F1, and because people are now used to it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Sorry, I prefer to keep them in Network Neighborhood because it can be reached directly via Alt+F1, and because people are now used to it.
Great so this is the "design process"

1. Add a great new feature but do some wrong design decisions.
2. Users complain - have difficulties using the new function
3. Deny that it's a problem
4. Users keep on complaining
5. Say I'll will think about it
6. Users continue complaining
7. Say will consider changing it
8. Users still complaining
9. Say users got used to it

:evil:
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I prefer to keep them in Network Neighborhood because it can be reached directly via Alt+F1, and because people are now used to it.
I think it would be better to split existing functionality (separate Network stuff from plugins). I don't see a problem with users habits because current solution is something what is difficult for many users. WLXes under NN are not obvious. Just one more item for F1/F2, drive buttons and (of course) breadcrumb shouldn't be so hard to add. I am aware that I might be wrong but there could be nothing surprising in disappearing Network Neighbourhood that way.

Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I prefer to keep them in Network Neighborhood because it can be reached directly via Alt+F1, and because people are now used to it.
I am sure you are capable of programming a plugin-space that can also be reached from the Alt+F1 or Alt+F2 list.
And yes, i am used now to reach the plug-ins via the Network Neighborhood now. But only because i have been using WC/TC for about 10 years now. And if i could have a separate button (i am mouse oriented) in the drive bar i would have TC setup this way already a long time ago.

Greetings,
Henrie
Clo

Which habit ?

Post by *Clo »

2Henrie

:) Hello !
…And if i could have a separate button (i am mouse oriented) in the drive bar i would have TC setup this way already a long time ago.
• I agree totally. A supposed “users' habit” isn't a logical design process…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

fenix_productions wrote:I think it would be better to split existing functionality (separate Network stuff from plugins). I don't see a problem with users habits because current solution is something what is difficult for many users.
Absolutely agree. It was suggested so many times (mainly from the power users here). As for newbies...So far I can see on the russian forum, noone from the newbies can find wfx`s intuitive. Only two ways: read the help or ask on the forum.
The main argument here is not an "intuitive interface", but slow responce of the network under win9x and winnt6.x, though. It was tolerable under WinNT5.x, but becomes very bad nowaday.