Alt+UP binding to cm_EditPath command and Alt+ for quick s

Post by *serg_joker »

Hi,
I have such settings in my wincmd.ini:

[Configuration]
AltSearch=1
[Shortcuts]
A+UP=cm_EditPath

In such configuration if I press alt+Up its expected to go to the path paned and allow me to edit the current path. Instead of it contents of Path panel is replaced by some strange char (and yes, I can edit it afterwards).

Changing a way to use quickSearch (for example to ctrl+alt) helps.
I've found workaround: I just press Alt+Up+Up and all goes as expected.

Regression relatively to previous version.

Regards,
Sergey.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately you cannot define Alt+ hotkeys when using Alt for quick search. This will cause unpredictable results, because TC will try to interpret the keys pressed together with Alt as characters.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
serg_joker

Post by *serg_joker »

I completely understand that there can be problems, but why all worked for me in previous version and now it is broken ?

For sure you have much more urgent work and this bug is not so critical. I can be single guy who uses your get. But any case it's a regression, so I'm sure you can fix it if when you have time. I'm a programmer as well, so I completely understand tat you have more and less critical tasks on your schedule, and less critical are not assumed to be fixed soon. Before I've posted this bug I've read all the opened bugs and I can see there are really showstopper bugs like A/V and so on. But please just try to revert behavior we had before.

Thanks for the best file manager ever :) I promote it between my colleagues all the time. At least 5 of them use it now. It saves me a lot of time. If only I could help you improve it helping you to fix small things like this one I'd do it for sure :)

Regards,
Sergey.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Interesting thing, if to hold Alt and to hold Up, also all works as should.

Also if to press Ctrl+Z after Alt+Up, this strange char disappears and path returned. Why this char is passed to path bar after it is being activated?
serg_joker

Post by *serg_joker »

Yep, seems like initial behavior is just fine (path edit starts when we press Alt+UP), but after that we release key (either Alt or Up) and Path Edit Box receives some strange char.

In this version there was a lot of unicode related changes. Maybe, it's the root of the problem ? Some Unicode related stuff could change behavior.

Regards,
Sergey.
serg_joker

Post by *serg_joker »

My mistake: wrong behavior can be observer after Alt is released. Releasing "Up" key works like a charm.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC 7.5 is handling multiple keyboard layouts now via Unicode functions, that's why there may be more keys detected as characters.
serg_joker

Post by *serg_joker »

I totally agree with you that it might be caused by Unicode/ keyboard layouts stuff (I even talked about this in one of previous post).

But still, is there any way to fix this behavior ? It's quite strange that we press Alt+up, it's correctly is recognized as cm_EditPath (as far is it's in my settings file), but then some keypress is sent to path edit box (and replaces path ). I think that if some accelerator is detected (like Alt+up bound to cm_EditPath) then keystroke itself should be swallowed by the engine that detects keystrokes bound to some commands.

Additionally to that, the problem is not appearing if QuickSearch setting is not using "Alt" itself for QuickSearch.

I'm sure it can be fixed. But, as far as there is no people reporting that the problem is annoying for them also, I don't think it will be assumed by you as urgent :)

All I ask is just not to forget about this issue. Maybe, you'll have time till next release (8.0 ?) and find a way to resolve it ?

Thanks a lot for your work. I work with development and T3 supports handling for our product as well, and I really appreciate for your time spent reading all this posts and replaying to them even if you do not consider the post as meaningful.

Regards,
Sergey.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The thread starter serg_joker has confirmed the fix, thanks very much!