TC 7.5 RC2 Filenamelength

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

BrollyLSSJ

TC 7.5 RC2 Filenamelength

Post by *BrollyLSSJ »

Total Commander 7.5 RC2 isn't able to copy files with long filenames / folder names, but I could successfully copy them using TC 7.5 Beta 8 (didn't try it with RC1).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hello BrollyLSSJ,
What were the exact file names and paths? What was the error message?

TIA
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Cannot reproduce, I just tested it. Please give me more details:
1. The source and destination name
2. The copy method (Configuration - Options - Copy/Delete)
3. The Windows version
Thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
BrollyLSSJ

Post by *BrollyLSSJ »

I don't know If i can tell the source and destination, as it belongs to a customer. The error message i got, was, that it asked for administrative rights. Though I was an administrator on both source (windows 2003) and destination (windows 2008). Windows 2003 is the server, where i executed Total Commander. Windows itself told me, that the names were too long.

For the copy method: I used standard settings of synchronization (with sub directories and empty / hidden folders).
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, BrollyLSSJ.

I do understand that you do not wish to post file/foldernames which can only be found on your customer's systems.
Yet, of course, not having any idea of what the file/foldernames really look like does not really make analysing the problem any easier.
Would it be possible perhaps to make up realistic fake names which illustrate the problem without revealing the real names?

Could it be that you are hitting any of the limits mentioned and explained in these threads:
+ problem delete paths up to 259 characters
+ Syncronizing DIRS with long filenames/ filepath
+ List of common path string lengths (ignore the German text)
+ unxepected return of the 259 characters' limit on Windows 7

Kind regards,
Karl
BrollyLSSJ

Post by *BrollyLSSJ »

I post the file names / folder names later (or tomorrow) as I am not at work anymore. Though as for your threads, I did not try to delete any files (first thread). I am also an administrator (elevated one on Windows Server 2008) and did not have to execute TC with administrative rights, as i executed it on the Windows Server 2003 machine (I mapped the Windows Server 2008 drive to M: on the Windows Server 2003 system) (fourth thread). As for the third thread => dunno what that exactly means, but as far as I know the file names and folder names were less than 100 chars (the suffix was always also only 3 chars [jpg and ppt]). As for the second thread: It didn't even ask me if i would keep the names or change them. It just asked for an administrative user. Then I switched to Beta 8 and it asked me if I want to keep the names or not => I said yes and it copied the files with permissions. I executed Beta 8 the same as I did with RC2.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, BrollyLSSJ.
as far as I know the file names and folder names were less than 100 chars (the suffix was always also only 3 chars [jpg and ppt]).
All right, if the roughly 100 characters cover the fully qualified filenames / foldernames (drive \ folder path \ name . extension) then you should not be affected by any 256 characters / 1022 characters length limit.
(The maximum path length values were the only reason why I pointed you to the threads, nothing else.)

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2BrollyLSSJ
You can change the characters in the path so it becomes neutral to protect your customer's data, e.g.
c:\some\very\secret\data.txt
to
c:\aaaa\bbbb\cccccc\dddd.txt

Just make sure to keep the original length and backslash positions! Thanks for your help in solving this problem.
BrollyLSSJ

Post by *BrollyLSSJ »

Hello,

a little bit late, but I had much to do at work today, so I have my laptop at home today.

source : G:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbb.PDF

destination: M:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbb.PDF

As mentioned in some earlier post: G: is a local drive on the server and M: was a mapped drive (used Windows to map it). M: was mapped to \\ssssssss\F$ (administrative share).

Though the folders sometimes also got some dots and commas and some white spaces.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, BrollyLSSJ.
as far as I know the file names and folder names were less than 100 chars (the suffix was always also only 3 chars [jpg and ppt]).
Now I am a bit confused: In that previous post you told us something about no more than 100 characters.
The examples given in your latest post clearly show that you are hitting one of the magic limits (255 characters + '\0' = 256 characters) exactly, unless we want to assume that my text editor lost its ability to count characters correctly.
source : G:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbb.PDF
destination: M:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbb.PDF
I start wondering whether there may be even longer names. T.C. 7.50 rc2 should be able to handle them, yet Windows itself may not. (Yet, this has been explained in the threads/posts which I pointed to.)

Why do I keep on picking on this point? - Well, T.C. 7.50pb8 might have been configured to use a T.C. copy method. (Can handle names up to 1022 characters). T.C. 7.50rc2 may have been configured to use the Explorer copy method. (Cannot handle such long names, limit 255 characters + '\0' = 256 characters)

Any chance that this is the reason?

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 7.5 RC2 Filenamelength

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, BrollyLSSJ.
Total Commander 7.5 RC2 isn't able to copy files with long filenames / folder names
Yes, T.C. 7.50RC2 is able to copy files with names longer than 255 characters perfectly.
Just copied this file
C:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\Sysinternals BGInfo.doc (269 characters)
to
C:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab\Sysinternals BGInfo.doc (269 characters)
and to
E:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab\Sysinternals BGInfo.doc (269 characters)
C: is my local NTFS drive, E: is my USB stick (FAT32).

Yet, I remember that there was/is a problem with names longer than 259 characters if the drive is a network UNC path unlike your drive M: which is a mapped drive.
Anyway, cannot test this at the moment. There is no network drive available here, mapped or UNC. Will do so on Tuesday.

Kind regards,
Karl
BrollyLSSJ

Post by *BrollyLSSJ »

karlchen wrote:Hello, BrollyLSSJ.
I start wondering whether there may be even longer names. T.C. 7.50 rc2 should be able to handle them, yet Windows itself may not. (Yet, this has been explained in the threads/posts which I pointed to.)

Why do I keep on picking on this point? - Well, T.C. 7.50pb8 might have been configured to use a T.C. copy method. (Can handle names up to 1022 characters). T.C. 7.50rc2 may have been configured to use the Explorer copy method. (Cannot handle such long names, limit 255 characters + '\0' = 256 characters)

Any chance that this is the reason?

Kind regards,
Karl
With less than 100 chars i meant, that each folder got less than 100 chars. I know that windows cannot handle them and RC2 failed for me as well.

If Beta 8 used the TC copy method and RC2 didn't, it's a failure of the installer. On that machine was TC 7.04 and I updated it some time ago to 7.50 Beta 2, Beta 4 and later to Beta 8 and at the last weekend or so I updated it to RC2. I was always using the Installer and didn't change anything. Copying files with such long names worked fine till Beta 8, so either the RC2 Setup changed something or got a bug, as I used the Installer to downgrade to Beta 8 and it was working fine again.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2BrollyLSSJ
I tried with your names, but had no problems copying the file.
Can you try repeat these steps, please:
1. Switch to root of drive G:
2. Press F7
3. Paste the entire path without file name, and press enter:
aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
4. Go to the deepest subdir, press Shift+F4, bbbbb.PDF
5. On the other panel, go to drive M:
6. Press F7
7. Paste the entire path without file name, and press enter:
aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
8. Go to the deepest dir
9. Drag&Drop the file bbbbb.PDF to the other window

This works fine here.

I also copied the topmost folder "aaaaaaaa" directly to drive M: without problem. Here drive M: was a share on another Windows XP computer.
BrollyLSSJ

Post by *BrollyLSSJ »

It sounds for me, as the folders were already there, when you tried it. Anyhow, I tried F7, entering the name and got to the deepest sub directory. When I pressed Shift F4 and entered the name, it opened the pdf with notepad. I than tried it on the M: drive => nothing was created (folder wise) as I also tested it on a another local drive on the source server.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, BrollyLSSJ.

Next test, this time using a mapped network drive P: pointing to a shared folder on a Windows 2003 Std SP2 server as the target folder.
Copied
C:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\MS Outlook 2003 Configuration.pdf
to
P:\aaaaaaaa\bbb\aaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbb\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\MS Outlook 2003 Configuration.pdf
The copy operation worked without any problems. (String length: 279 characters without surrounding double quotes)

Environment:
Source machine: Windows XP Prof SP2, 32bit, T.C. 7.50RC2
Target machine: Windows 2003 Std Server SP2, 32bit

The only thing was that Foxit Reader refused to open the file and cut off the qualified filename after the 255th character. (So it dropped "k 2003 Configuration.pdf" in its error message, locally and on the mapped network drive P: )

Kind regards,
Karl