DirSizeCalc Charts 1.10 (Lister plugin)

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

DirSizeCalc Charts 1.10 (Lister plugin)

Post by *Lefteous »

A new version is ready for download. 1.10 adds some features and hopefully fixes some bugs:
  • Added support for .. items
  • High dpi mode e.g. 120pi or 144 dpi should look just fine.
  • The way hotkeys are handled has been changed as the plugin could not be started when another plugin was displayed and user pressed 4. However it's unfortunately not a full fix as you have to press 4 twice in some cases. This includes opening the Lister not using the keyboard and then cycle through plugins by pressing 4.
  • The current path is now displayed in a new area above the file list.
  • The number of files in a folder is now displayed next to the size. This cannot be configured at the moment. A setting will be added later.
  • Pressing delete moves an item to the recycle bin. If moving to bin isn't possible the item will be deleted. A confirmation dialog is displayed in all cases.
  • It's now possible to navigate folders inside the plugin by pressing return or performing a doubleclick to go down or by pressing backspace to go up.
History: http://lefteous.totalcmd.net/tc/docs/dirsizecalccharts/history_charts.txt

Download:
Standalone version
Addon (DirSizeCalc content plugin must already be installed)

Introduction
As we all know VisualDirSize doesn't exist as 64 bit version which is quite a problem in quickview. This is why I started working on a new Lister plugin that hopefully will someday be as good as VisualDirSize - or even better.

My new Lister plugin 'DirSizeCalc Charts' displays folder sizes as bar charts. I hope you like it.
http://lefteous.totalcmd.net/tc/images/dirsizecalc_charts/lister_dsc_charts.png

My content plugin DirSizeCalc is required for this Lister plugin. You should pick the standalone version if you don't have DirSizeCalc installed. Otherwise download the addon version which will be installed in the same folder as DirSizeCalc.

Some known limitations:
- Don't expect that this plugin has all the features of VisualDirsize. It's still an early version. More functionality will be added over time.
- Size calculation is currently not as fast as I want it to be. I will try to improve performance in future versions.
- Translation isn't currently possible. Translated strings all come from DirSizeCalc.
- Reparse point handling cannot be configured at the moment.

How you can help me:
  1. It's still a quite early version so there might be bugs. Please don't hesitate to report them.
  2. The list of features to implement is quite long. You might expect some features known from VisualDirSize - but I probably won't implement them all. If you have a certain priority - let me know. The next things I will add are 1. Settings, 2. Filter, 3. Pie chart view
  3. I like to hear you opinion on value scaling. I have experiented a lot with logarithmical scaling but I have now reversed to linear scaling. Values from 0 have at least a width of 2 pixels. Just empty folders have no bar a all. I will probably make an option in the future. So you can try it.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2015-08-19, 19:19 UTC, edited 6 times in total.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

When i press F3 on a folder, this error message popup

Code: Select all

---------------------------
DirSizeCalc Charts
Please install the content plugin DirSizeCalc before using DirSizeCalc Charts
OK   
Of course i have DirSizeCalc installed and the left panel uses custom DirSizeCalc columns

Tested with
:arrow: TC 8.51a x32 - x64
:arrow: DirSizeCalc 2.21
:arrow: Windows 7 x64
Last edited by ts4242 on 2015-07-02, 22:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ts4242
Have you installed them both in the same folder?
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

No, I just followed DirSizeCalc Charts auto installation process which installed it in "...\plugins\wlx\DirSizeCalc\"

Correct my mistake and it works now!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I did a quick tour of the plugin, and found some bugs:
  • The display of the bars doesn't work properly on WinXP, regardless of themes. You have to drag the Lister window to an edge of the screen (and back) to make them become visible. And the bars disappear again when the line they're in is selected.
  • The Lister window can't be closed by ESC when any line is selected.
Furthermore, I'd like to set the sizes to be shown dynamically (B/k/M/G). Any way to do that? Currently it's showing bytes only. I tried with the settings tool and TC's settings, but I couldn't figure out which setting I need to change.

Last but not least: A setting to respect the user's background color settings would be really nice. Right now the plugin just uses white, but I don't use bright colors on my system (because they hurt my eyes).

Another note: If the overwrite prompt during plugin installation is enabled, TC asks for confirmation to overwrite history.txt, so I guess you should rename it :).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Dalai
First thank you for all the testing. :)
The display of the bars doesn't work properly on WinXP, regardless of themes. You have to drag the Lister window to an edge of the screen (and back) to make them become visible. And the bars disappear again when the line they're in is selected.
I didn't test on Windows XP so far. I cannot guarantee that I have the resources to make it working on such an old OS. The market share is currently around 15% but it's declining more and more.
The Lister window can't be closed by ESC when any line is selected.
Is this also on Windows XP or on another Windows version?
Furthermore, I'd like to set the sizes to be shown dynamically (B/k/M/G). Any way to do that? Currently it's showing bytes only. I tried with the settings tool and TC's settings, but I couldn't figure out which setting I need to change.
This should actually work - otherwise it's a bug. Did you restart TC after changing the settings?
Last but not least: A setting to respect the user's background color settings would be really nice. Right now the plugin just uses white, but I don't use bright colors on my system (because they hurt my eyes).
Confirmed. Should be easy to fix.
Another note: If the overwrite prompt during plugin installation is enabled, TC asks for confirmation to overwrite history.txt, so I guess you should rename it
Thanks for the hint. I added a postfix to other files which could conflict but it seems I have missed the history file :oops:
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ts4242
Great to hear that it works now. :-)
Having separate folders (wlx, wdx) for certain plugin types of course doesn't stick with the idea of combining a content plugin and Lister plugins in a single folder.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Hi Lefteous,

I've the same problem as ts4242 initially reported. I checked if the settings are correct and indeed the charts plugin is in the same folder as the DirSizeCalc plugin and the lister plugin reference is correct.
The only 'funky' thing on my system is that TC is fully portable and I use RedirectSection also for the plugin section. Maybe this is the cause of my problems?

Running Tc 8.51 on Win 8.1 x64 Enterprise.

Regards, EricB
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2EricB
The only 'funky' thing on my system is that TC is fully portable and I use RedirectSection also for the plugin section. Maybe this is the cause of my problems?
Difficult to say what the problem is. The Lister plugin searches for the content plugin in it's own folder. INI settings shouldn't make a difference. I will investigate if I can reproduce it somehow.
EricB

Post by *EricB »

Hi Lefteous,

Your remark about checking it's own folder solved my problem: I removed the 64 bit stuff for DirSizeCalc in the past, since I'm still running TC 32 bit. Restoring it immediately made the plugin run.
Normally I remove the material I do not need, so my portable TC also fits neatly on a USB thumb drive, that's why.

Regards, EricB
norfie²
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie² »

Thumbs up! :)
"War is evil, in so far as it makes more bad people than it takes away."
Immanuel Kant in "Perpetual Peace"
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Lefteous wrote:2Dalai
First thank you for all the testing. :)
ESC doesn't work when one line is selected under Windows 8.1 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Lefteous wrote:I didn't test on Windows XP so far. I cannot guarantee that I have the resources to make it working on such an old OS. The market share is currently around 15% but it's declining more and more.
Well, I don't say you should. However, if you don't, you should note some system requirements (or rather specify them in any case).
This also happens on Win7 x64, TC 8.51a 32 bit.
This should actually work - otherwise it's a bug. Did you restart TC after changing the settings?
I started a new TC instance. Can you give me a hint which setting exactly is responsible for changing the displayed unit? Is it in TC or the DirSizeCalc settings tool? DirSizeCalc.Size shows bytes in a custom columns view in TC, too.

[ADD]
Another thing: It would be nice to have be able to somehow change the column widths. Currently the plugin shows ellipsis for names that are too long (e.g. recycle bin subdirs).
[/ADD]

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Dalai
Well, I don't say you should. However, if you don't, you should note some system requirements.
Yes, I will support XP or leave a note in readme.
I started a new TC instance. Can you give me a hint which setting exactly is responsible for changing the displayed unit? Is it in TC or the DirSizeCalc settings tool? DirSizeCalc.Size shows bytes in a custom columns view in TC, too.
The DirSizeCalcSettings can be used to change the unit settings. This should work just fine. In your case you have to create a custom unit.
Anyway DirSizeCalc Charts currently uses just the default unit (bytes). As there is no way to select the unit I'll have to add a setting.
Another thing: It would be nice to have be able to somehow change the column widths. Currently the plugin shows ellipsis for names that are too long (e.g. recycle bin subdirs
I thought about this while creating the initial version but moved this point to a later version. I have a quite nice solution in mind which doesn't require configuration but I don't know yet if it will work as desired. Ellipsis will always be required as there can be ultra long names and small window widths at the same time.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Lefteous wrote:Yes, I will support XP or leave a note in readme.
The DirSizeCalcSettings can be used to change the unit settings. This should work just fine. In your case you have to create a custom unit.
Yes, that's what I did (some years ago) and it works in TC custom columns. But one has to specify this new unit, e.g. [=dirsizecalc.Size.All_Dims], while the default (without .All_Dims) shows bytes.
Another thing: It would be nice to have be able to somehow change the column widths. Currently the plugin shows ellipsis for names that are too long (e.g. recycle bin subdirs
I thought about this while creating the initial version but moved this point to a later version. I have a quite nice solution in mind which doesn't require configuration but I don't know yet if it will work as desired.
OK, looking forward to see it :).
Ellipsis will always be required as there can be ultra long names and small window widths at the same time.
Yes, that's obvious ;).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence