TC 7.50a Opens slower

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AnthonyCian

TC 7.50a Opens slower

Post by *AnthonyCian »

Using XP Pro, TC 7.50a now has a 5 to 7 sec delay before it the display shows. Before it always started up pretty quick. Also TC doesn't display the opening screen all at once, the top right portion lags behind.
AC
Clo

Fast here

Post by *Clo »

2AnthonyCian

:) Hello !

• Nothing like this here : It takes ¾ second with the start-up screen (registered) and ½ second without it…
- XP-Pro SP1 (FR) - 1 GiB RAM - Celeron 2.4 GHz

- As usual: Any virus scanner running in the BG ? Are you using the UPX-packed EXE version ?
- I use the native non-packed EXE… I've Avira AV (gratis) in the BG, no problem.
- Maybe a lot of plug-ins to load ? :roll:

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ado

Post by *ado »

I just installed 7.50a (over 7.50) Win Vista SP2 and I do not see any perf degradation. (AV - Norton 360). Is it possible that one of your panels in TC is showing network drive? ...or directory with a lot of files?

ado
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ado wrote:I just installed 7.50a (over 7.50) Win Vista SP2 and I do not see any perf degradation. (AV - Norton 360). Is it possible that one of your panels in TC is showing network drive? ...or directory with a lot of files?
I'd always thought about it. It is the most logical case.
I use TC on W7, WXP, both on host and VM, and don't see performance loss in 7.50a over 7.50 or earlier versions.

AnthonyCian, please try with clean INI, maybe some plugin or setting makes TC to operate in such way. If TC with clean INI will operate quick, you should try to discover the reason. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

2AnthonyCian
If you cannot find out the reason that way, you can run "process monitor" from www.sysinternals.com to get a log of what happens during these 5-7 seconds.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
AnthonyCian

Post by *AnthonyCian »

All:
Thanks for the suggestions, this never happened with prior versions of TC always loaded instantly. This problem comes up on more than one computer, all runing XP Pro. The anit-virus was not changed, that is both versions of TC are using the exact same anit-virus.

I will try with a clean INI file, and then will use the process monitor suggested by ghisler. I will get back...

AC
AnthonyCian

Post by *AnthonyCian »

I used a fresh TC INI file and it still did the same. As for using the process monitor, this is a neat program. But I like to know if it is possible to just show total commander and not all the other processes. Plus a way to save that info in case it is requested.

I think this maybe a graphics display issue on certain graphic cards?

Thanks,

AC
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, AnthonyCian.
As for using the process monitor, this is a neat program. But I like to know if it is possible to just show total commander and not all the other processes. Plus a way to save that info in case it is requested.
Both things are feasible.
For the first question, the answer is: use filtering. (Open the helpfile procmon.chm, the section about "Filtering and Highlighting")
For the second question, the answer is: use the "Save" entry in the "File" menu. (Open the helpfile procmon.chm, the section about "Saving and Logging")

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe you have one of the rare virus scanners which loads UPX-packed programs more quickly? You can try the UPX-packed version from here:
http://www.ghisler.com/packed_download
AnthonyCian

Post by *AnthonyCian »

Hi,

Tried the UPX file and still the same. No change. I use TC at work and at home. This issue is duplicated on the two computers at work, and the one I use at home. Both are running XP Pro. When I open TC for the first time after logging on, that's when it takes the longest to open, I timed it at 15sec. When TC is closed then opened it takes about 5 seconds to show up on screen. Before v7.50 it took about 1 second or less to open.

Some thing about version 7.50 and 7.50a is causing an initial delay when opening TC.

AC
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The Procmon/Filemon tools, basically just right click on items appearing in the list and exclude them.

As far as the slow start, it is curious.
1) How are the drives for fragmentation?
2) Do any other programs experience this kind of delay?
3) Does running sysinternals Contig.exe on Totalcmd.exe help at all?
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
AnthonyCian

Post by *AnthonyCian »

To Answer Balderstrom questions:
#1 Fragmentation was Ok, but did a defrag anyway - still have issue
#2. Do other programs have this issue? [[No... Just TC after installing v7.50 and v7.50a]]
#3. Could not locate "Contig.exe" to test your suggestion

----------

Next plan is to check out my theory that the latest version upgrade has caused this issue... I plan to install TC on another computer at work Monday.

1. Install version 7.04a first and see how fast/slow it starts up.
2. Install version 7.50 using the update/upgrade setting, see how fast/slow it starts up.
3. Install version 7.50a using the update/upgrade setting, see how fast/slow it starts up.
4. Report my findings here.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

NOTE: I will have TC open, and will open a 2nd copy. The 2nd copy opens in a blink of an eye. Real fast.

Thanks,

AC
Clo

Typo ?

Post by *Clo »

2AnthonyCian

:) Hello !

• Just an aside :
…#3. Could not locate "Contig.exe" to test your suggestion …
• Isn't it rather “Config.exe” ? :roll:

Topic : Thank you to perform so exhaustive tests, this shall be useful whether similar cases occur, for sure ! :D

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

No, its Contig.exe, its part of the sysinternals suite download. Used to be available separately. Lets you manually defragment individual files.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please try to watch the TC startup with procmon.exe. I use the following rule:
"Process Name" "contains" "totalcmd" "Include"