Scrolling the file list is slow

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

betatester314

Scrolling the file list is slow

Post by *betatester314 »

In TC 7.50a and earlier versions, scrolling the file list is slow compared to other applications. This issue happens most of the time and reproduces on several systems and OS versions, but there are times when scrolling speed suddenly increases even on problematic systems.

I noticed that the slowness sometimes occurs on a specific pane (left-side or right-side only), which is even more peculiar.

This item was extracted from the 'Longstanding Issues' topic in the suggestions forum.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is actually a "feature" of Windows called "smooth scrolling". To turn it off on Windows Vista and 7, right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Select Advanced -> performance settings ->visual effects. Then select custom and deselect 'smooth-scroll list boxes'.

On Windows XP, right click on the desktop and choose "Properties". There is a button called "Effects" on the display settings page, where you need to turn off an option called "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
betatester314

Post by *betatester314 »

This tip worked great, thank you.

1. On Windows XP, the more delicate option of disabling the listbox scrolling only is also available. I found it on your FAQ page:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Visual Effects -> Smooth-scroll list boxes

I'm wondering if this can be disabled per control or per application.

2. A tip or checkbox during TC installation, or even in TC's Configuration->Options menu could come in handy.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm wondering if this can be disabled per control or per application.
No, to my knowledge this can be disabled only for the entire system.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com