ALT-F7 doesn't work in \\My Documents

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

o_f_course

ALT-F7 doesn't work in \\My Documents

Post by *o_f_course »

On my laptop My documents doesn't expand to the full path.
On my desktop it expands to c:\Documents and Settings\[My UserName]\My Documents\

When I use ALT-F7 (find text) on my laptop, I get the message 'Search path not found!'.

I go to 'My documents' by the drop down box on the left of the current path.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, o_f_course.

Why do you suppose the problem has to be caused by Total Commander? Could the cause not be that e.g. "My documents" has been misconfigured and points to a non-existing target on your laptop?

You might e.g. use Nir Sofer's SpecialFoldersView, find out which real folder should be behind "My Documents" on the laptop and verify that this folder does exist.

If you go to "My Documents" on your laptop using the T.C. breadcrumb bar, which folder does this take you to?

Kind regards,
Karl
o_f_course

Post by *o_f_course »

Could the cause not be that e.g. "My documents" has been misconfigured and points to a non-existing target on your laptop?
You never can select a non-existing folder in TC.
Further more: I see the content of the folder, and it is correct. The 'breadcrum bar' says:
\/ \\My documents\*.*
I came here using the breadcrum bar, and in this location I type ALT-F7. I don't alter the folder in that dialog.

The folder 'My Documents' points to c:\Documents and Settings\[My UserName]\My Documents\. Those folders show the same content.

If I do the same things on my desktop in TC the breadcrum bar navigates directly to
\/ c:\Documents and Settings\[My UserName]\My Documents\*.*

(Being \/ the button where I selected 'My documents')

Now let me refrase my problems/questions:

1. Alt-F8 gives an error in \\My Documents\ 'search path not found'

2. Could the difference between my laptop and my desktop be caused by a Windows (XP) setting or a TC setting?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, o_f_course.

Stupid me. :oops:

Have reproduced the issue. Had to go to a machine where "My documents" has not been reconfigured to point to a server share. I.e. a machine where the local user's "My documents" simply is "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalUser\My Documents".

If I use the upmost level of the breadcrumbar - displaying "Desktop - My computer - My Network Places - My Documents - Recycle Bin - FTP" - in order to go to "My Documents", T.C. will display "\\My documents" inside the current path bar above the file list. Using Alt-F7 now will yield "Search Path Not Found".

The same is true if you go to "Desktop". T.C. displays "\\Desktop". And Alt-F7 will display "Search Path Not Found".

Oh well, if my memory serves me right, this is one of the instances of Total Commander not fully supporting the Windows virtual folders. So in fact the amazing thing is that Alt-F7 works on your desktop.

OK, I found a thread. Sorry, but it is in German: Dateien Suchen in "Eigene Dateien" (Searching in "My Documents") - (There must be English threads as well. Just have not spotted any inside the forum search results. :( )

The essence of the German thread is this:
Inside T.C. do not search inside the folders "\\Desktop", "\\My Documents", "\\My Pictures", "\\My Music".
Use "%$DESKTOP%", "%$PERSONAL%", "%$MYPICTURES%" and "%$MYMUSIC%" instead.

It is a known limitation of Total Commander up to v7.50a.

Kind regards,
Karl
o_f_course

Post by *o_f_course »

OK, thanks for your support.
Good to know I'm not the only one found this.

Kind regards,
Otto
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, currently it's not supported to start the search in virtual folders.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2o_f_course
On my laptop My documents doesn't expand to the full path.
On my desktop it expands to c:\Documents and Settings\[My UserName]\My Documents\
I have noticed that if I from \\My Documents enter any subdir that is NOT originally created by Windows (e.g. NOT My Pictures, My Music of My Videos) then the path is expanded to
"C:\Documents and Settings\LocalUser\My Documents\subdir" and if I thereafter go updir again, the path stays expanded - could that maybe what you are doing (going into a subdir) before you press Alt-F7 ?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
o_f_course

Post by *o_f_course »

petermad wrote: I have noticed that if I from \\My Documents enter any subdir that is NOT originally created by Windows (e.g. NOT My Pictures, My Music of My Videos) then the path is expanded to
"C:\Documents and Settings\LocalUser\My Documents\subdir" and if I thereafter go updir again, the path stays expanded - could that maybe what you are doing (going into a subdir) before you press Alt-F7 ?
No, I don't navigate anywhere between selecting 'My Documents' and ALT-F7.

Directly after selecting 'My Documents' the breadcrum bar states the full path.

I can't remember if I changed something in the Windows settings to create this difference. It could also be a difference in the images that are used to configure both computers.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Desktop and My Documents folders are expanded to real paths in TC 7.55b1 Search dialog.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed all virtual folders which have an underlying real directory should be expanded now!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com