TC for Mac OS X?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dominus

Post by *Dominus »

Lefteous wrote:2m^2
Wine works
Define works! When you take a look at the Wine log you'll see that there are a bunch of not implemented functions or function only implemented as stub.
In addition OS X specifc stuff is not supported at all - not even mentioning TC's visual appearance on OS X...

The only acceptable way to manage your OS X files with TC is a virtual machine running Windows.
Wine works on OS X similar to how it works on Linux. SOME stuff supposedly doesn't work the same but I have not encountered those yet (except for some bug with Themida "secured" programs). I was able to play some games, run some programs, run TC (looks the same as on Windows)...
This concerns the Wine "unstable" version, the stable one is too far behind and is not something I'd recommend.

What is really annoying is that the TC context menu of the right click on files is not working at all under Wine, but one can try to live without it...
1. We buy Chritian a Mac
2. He adapts TC to OSX…
I would love this, but Clo and Henrie are right. Since TC would need to be entirely rewritten for OS X, we'd start with a 0.x version that would nowehere be as stable as the very matured 7.5 version for Windows is. And it would take quite some time to get going. Since the two versions couldn't be developped in parallel it would result in a fulltime job for the Mac version.
So it's sad but true, a real TC for OSX is only wishfull thinking...
mikecosterus

Crossover

Post by *mikecosterus »

I Left the windows world in 2007.

desperately seeking TC mac version for years.
I bought Diskorder3 in 2008: forget it. no dev email reply. It's dead.
mucommander installed on my macbook pro: not the real thing. no batch stuff...(rename is very rudementary) but still the best so far. (free)
then I bought Forklift. again, batch rename is even sillier. but I use it for 2 pane work, mostly copying...basic stuff. A solid OSX app, works good, even allows TC shortcuts:-)

But my TIP: buy CROSSOVER and install TC. Easy!

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6287
dott

Post by *dott »

As somebody said on the linux side of view, Double Commander is development in lazarus/freepascal so it can be compiled for win32 , linux, osx and ¿?, here:( http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=266 ) you can find a mac package, is labelled as experimental only, the developers are focussed on Linux and windows but some feedback may change that since they are the users of linux and mac those that need a real tc replacement.
mikecosterus

Cool

Post by *mikecosterus »

Double commander is cool!
vborshak

Post by *vborshak »

I think that the main value of TC is ability to be controlled only with keyboard. I mean, without mouse... in osx afaik this goes against Apple's rules. For example you can open contextual menu with keyboard. You simply can't! Tried the software mentioned above. Some of them do pretty good job but not ideal.
maninhat

Post by *maninhat »

I'm a developer of the Mover - project that is very similar to Total Commander.
You're welcome to try it: themaninhat com /mover