Windows x64: Explorer vs TC: Content of System32 different

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Windows x64: Explorer vs TC: Content of System32 different

Post by *karlchen »

When using a 64-bit Windows version, Total Commander (up to v7.57a and 8.0ß x32) may show different folder contents for certain folders than Windows Explorer.
This is often noticed in the Windows system folder system32 and its sub-folders.
Most users experience the problem, when they try to access the file C:\windows => system32 => drivers => etc=> hosts .

This page describes why this happens and how it can be worked around:
On 64-bit Windows versions, some files and folders shown by Windows Explorer are not shown by Total Commander!

Note:
Total Commander versions v7.55 and later offer several workarounds, which were not available in Total Commander 7.50a and which mitigate the problem.
history.txt wrote:29.01.10 Added: Show more fake directories in redirected system32 dir on 64-bit systems: catroot, catroot2, spool, logfiles, DriverStore (the latter only on Windows 7)
--
<03.04.2011>
Changed title from "Explorer + Total Commander: Content of system32 different" to "Windows x64: Explorer vs TC: Content of System32 different". Reason: cf. this thread: Please explain this anomaly - c:\Windows\System32\oobe
Modified the current version of T.C. to 7.56.a. Workarounds exist in versions 7.55 and newer.
</03.04.2011>

--
<03.03.2012>
Changed the range of affected T.C. versions to include: 7.57a and 8.0 beta 32-bit.
</03.03.2012>
Last edited by karlchen on 2012-03-03, 21:57 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Moderator message from: Hacker

Stickied.

Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MISTERAMD

Post by *MISTERAMD »

Ah good to know this issue :)
BeVar

Post by *BeVar »

I've noticed this for awhile and has never made much sense to me. I have relied on TC and way back when it was WC, since 1995. Best tool on my computer.

I still don't understand the "workaround". Can anyone explain how I can see and get to edit these area's ie etc > hosts. My grey matter is slow at times.

thanks,
BeVar
still here...
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, BeVar.

Please, let us know
+ which Windows version you are using ?
+ which edition, 32-bit or 64-bit?

Please, also tell us
+ which Total Commander version you are using?
+ which edition, 32-bit or 64-bit?

It would be helpful to knwos these details in order to keep the answer to your initial question/request as concise as possible.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
BeVar

Post by *BeVar »

I use both versions; 32x and 64x. I have Windows 98, XP, 7 and 8 consumer preview. I run a small computer shop.
32x, I am ashamed to say hasn't been updated since V 7.03. 64x is latest beta 8.0B23.

I work on computers all day and get quite lazy at night.
Lately been fighting some OCZ SSD's in RAID on 680i chipset > gets frustrating but I'll get it right the third or fourth try LOL.

I've tried adjusting the HOSTS file a few times in Vista or Win 7, Know it's there yet can't see it; weird. I pretty much know the HD structures but would be lost without my WinCommander ie, Total Commander.

Wish I had it for the iPad and the Kindle Fire.

Thank you for the reply. Hope to hear from you soon.
Ben aka BeVar
still here...
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, BeVar.

You can only come across the symptoms mentioned in the initial post on Windows 64-bit editions provided you use a Total Commander 32-bit edition. Up to v7.57a all Total Commander versions are 32-bit only.
Only Total Commander 8.0 beta comes in two editions: 32-bit and 64-bit.
You cannot come across the symptoms mentioned in the initial post on Windows 64-bit editions in case you use Total Commander 8.0 beta 64-bit.

Note:
It is strongly recommended to update Total Commander 7.03 to the current release version 7.57a. (added features, removed bugs)

Prerequisites:
You are using a Total Commander 32-bit edition (v7.57a, v8.0) on a 64-bit edition of Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Server 2008.

Steps:
You want to view or edit the "hosts" file.
You navigate to C:\Windows => SysNative => Drivers => etc.
And there you will find the file "hosts".

Explanation:
On current 64-bit Windows editions, Windows will permit 32-bit programmes like e.g. 32-bit Total Commander to access the genuine "system32" (which holds the 64-bit Windows executables and DLLs) by requesting to access "Sysnative".

Note:
Only Total Commander versions 7.5x and 8.0 32-bit will display the pseudo foldername "Sysnative" inside the folder C:\Windows.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
BeVar

Post by *BeVar »

Thank you Karl.

That was a great explanation.

I will update today.
still here...
Nimras

Post by *Nimras »

Hmm i have same problem.

Was trying to find a file in system32 -> Macromedia -> Flash

It do not show in Explore actually only 1 program saw it on my windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and that was pspad.

I after reading this section saw the problem and tested with the 32bit of TC and now it could be shown.

Anyway i tried the cm_SwitchX64Redirection but it do not seem to work.

So what am i doing wrong here?

I would love to be able to use the 64bit without worry but if that switch do not work then it do not matter does it lol.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Nimras,
If you see System32\Macromedia in 32-bit program, 32-bit TC should see same file w/o problems because all 32-bit programs have redirection enabled by default.
If you see System32\Macromedia folder in 64-bit Explorer, you can get same folder in 32-bit TC if you enter Sysnative\Macromedia folder. And you don't need any redirection switches. Just enter Sysnative folder instead of System32. And I don't recommend to leave cm_SwitchX64Redirection enabled - it causes many side effects.
Nimras

Post by *Nimras »

MVV wrote:Nimras,
If you see System32\Macromedia in 32-bit program, 32-bit TC should see same file w/o problems because all 32-bit programs have redirection enabled by default.
If you see System32\Macromedia folder in 64-bit Explorer, you can get same folder in 32-bit TC if you enter Sysnative\Macromedia folder. And you don't need any redirection switches. Just enter Sysnative folder instead of System32. And I don't recommend to leave cm_SwitchX64Redirection enabled - it causes many side effects.
Thats the thing the Explore do not show the files i need in the folder.

And how do i know if the Switch is on or off?

Also the TC 32 bit shows the missing files.

The 32 pspad shows them..

Explore, notepad do not.

64 bit of TC do not.

That sysnative how does that work as i can't find it?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Nimras,
If only 32-bit apps show your files, you can see them in Explorer via SysWOW64\Macromedia. Windows redirects System32 to SysWOW64 for 32-bit apps.

You can remove x64DisableRedirection parameter from your wincmd.ini to return its default value (or set it to 0).
Nimras

Post by *Nimras »

MVV wrote:Nimras,
If only 32-bit apps show your files, you can see them in Explorer via SysWOW64\Macromedia. Windows redirects System32 to SysWOW64 for 32-bit apps.

You can remove x64DisableRedirection parameter from your wincmd.ini to return its default value (or set it to 0).
Ok there was no such thing in my ini file strangely.

Anyway if i go to syswow64 folder i find the files with my TC 64 bit so yeh maybe thats where i should have gone from start lol?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Nimras,

From 64-bit app:
You enter SysWOW64, you see SysWOW64 (folder for 32-bit system files)
You enter System32, you see System32 (folder for 64-bit system files)

From 32-bit app:
You enter SysWOW64, you see SysWOW64
You enter System32, you see SysWOW64 - that's redirection!
You enter Sysnative, you see System32 - by-pass route!
You enter junction pointing to System32 (usually I call such junction System64 because it contains 64-bit files), you see System32 - another by-pass route!
lotusaurus

Problem in My Documents

Post by *lotusaurus »

I have a similar problem, but with another directory. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with TC 8.01 64-bit. In the My Documents directory, there are two files that do not appear in TC but they do appear in Windows Explorer. The two files, both Excel files, do exist, as I am able to open them in Explorer.

I tried a programme similar to TC, Q-Dir (x64, v5.61) and it also has the same problem, so this doesn't seem to be unique to TC.

I'm wondering if there is any fix for this or if I have some configuration mistake.

[Added "solution" here]
My apologies. It turned out to be my own foolishness. I was looking at Documents in the Libraries section, and that shows TWO locations, My Documents and Public Documents. The files I saw were in Public Documents, but in TC I was looking at My Documents, so naturally and correctly, those two files did not appear in TC under My Documents.