TC hangs on some actions inside of archive

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

TC hangs on some actions inside of archive

Post by *MVV »

How I found it: entered ______WINDOWS.0.DIR archive (DiskDirExtended plugin), switched to full view, opened WINDOWS.0 folder, pressed Alt+Shift+Enter and tried to copy path using click on path bar. TC hung. As I see, there should be minimal time interval between Alt+Shift+Enter and click on path bar. Sometimes all work fine, but sometimes TC freezes (I may repeat it almost every time, even if I wait for 5 seconds after size calculations), I can't find any law.

Link to file: ______WINDOWS.0.DIR.7z

Well, I don't know if it TC bug or plugin. Sometimes TC hangs when I press Left and Enter in full view (usually I use theese keys to go one level up since I'm using brief view most of time). But AFAIK TC reads whole archive at once when user enters it, so I think it is TC because on Ctrl+B I can see entire archive contents w/o troubles and then TC may freeze on Left key press (activate command line).

Sometimes TC freezes when I just trying to switch to another panel from this archive and to change drive there. In brief view I have such bugs too.

Well, it is interesting 'cause I don't have this problem with clean INI with 7z and dir plugins installed. I'll try to locate problem.

OK, I've found bug source - it was plugin GAUP_PRO 0.6.0.3. When I removed its line from [PackerPlugins] section, bug disappered.

The only interesting question is how this plugin can cause TC freeze when I'm opening archive using completely another packer (7z and dir plugins have maximum priority, and GAUP has minimum). So, this packer shouldn't be called at all! :?:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I guess that the GAUP plugin was announcing to TC that it can detect archives by content. Just move the plugin behind the 7zip plugin (in the wincmd.ini) to make sure that 7zip can see the file before it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I'm inside of DiskDirExtended plugin's archive when bug comes, not 7Zip.

BTW I wrote that GAUP has lowest priority. It is in the last line of [PackerPlugins] section, while 7Zip and DiskDirExtended are on first and second lines of that section! That's why it is an interesting question. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC tries the plugins in the order they appear in the pack dialog (if they support packing), which should be the order in which they appear in the [packerplugins] section. Maybe the 7zip plugin reports that it cannot handle the specific archive...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't know how but this happens. TC opens archive using DiskDirExtended, so here all is right. But why GAUP (which is below DiskDirExtended) freezes TC when it opens archive using DiskDirExtended, I can't even imagine! :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe you can send a problematic archive to the GAUP author and ask for help?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Good idea. But I think you may try to reproduce bug yourself and debug it - where TC hangs. If you wish, I'll share mentioned plugin version.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently it's not possible to handle a completely hanging plugin. Many functions would have to be moved to background threads for that, but most plugins aren't even thread-safe...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

The problem here is that buggy plugin shouldn't be called at all since plugin with higher priority should handle this archive - I have associated DIR extension with DiskDirExtended and opened archive by Enter (CanYouHandleThisFile shouldn't be used here AFAIK) - so TC should just open archive using DiskDirExtended. I can't understand why here presence of GAUP hangs TC.