TC changes Keyboard layout of characters to English

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

omdawe

TC changes Keyboard layout of characters to English

Post by *omdawe »

Hello i don´t know if this is a bug or if i missed something in the setting since i upgrade to from beta 2 to beta3 (upgrade). TC changes my Keyboard layout of characters to English.. I dont mean it changes my windows or something.. Just when im using TC.. so when i click on "-" i get a lovely "/" and so on!..
Tested in:
Ever different place in TC. All the same!

Anyone knows how to fix this?
omdawe

Post by *omdawe »

hmm... Been looking around in TC to find whats wrong.. Not booting or anything.. Then i started another TC window.. and on in the new window its back to normal! Don´t know what happened!
Last edited by omdawe on 2010-05-04, 19:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Control panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Tab: "Keyboards and languages"

Button: [Change keyboards..]

Tab: "Advanced Key Settings"
- Hot keys for input language -
Action: "Between input languages"

Button: [Change Key Sequence]

Select "Not assigned" for both "Switch Input Language" and "Switch Keyboard Layout"
Go on with the other actions like "To English" and disable the assigned key sequence.

I don't remember what's the default here, but i guess you used one of them by accident. :wink:

HTH
Holger
omdawe

Post by *omdawe »

But like i said earlier it's not a "windows" setting. As everything else worked (else = meaning every other program on the same computer)..
The default ALT+SHIFT on my computer to change language but as i only have ONE language installed i cant use that.. as that would change it to the same language that i use (swedish).

Dont know what it was, but restarting TC and now it works!.. What ever!.. Maybe a local bug?!
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

omdawe,
i only have ONE language installed i cant use that
Well, if you really have only one keyboard layout installed then you could not have switched to another, not in TC nor elsewhere.
Usually, the switch is caused by having pressed Alt-Shift-Enter to calculate directory sizes, as it contains the Alt-Shift combination.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

2omdawe
Maybe you have set KeyboardID in your Wincmd.ini under Configuration. Search for this setting in your wincmd.ini and delete it if it is there.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This happens quite often because TC uses many hotkeys with Alt+Shift. If you press Alt+Shift for one of these commands, like Alt+Shift+Enter, but then decide not to press Enter, Windows will see just Alt+Shift and switch the keyboard layout. Therefore please do what HolgerK wrote, and turn off the layout switch via hotkey.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dark-Star

Post by *Dark-Star »

omdawe wrote:But like i said earlier it's not a "windows" setting.
Yes it is. More info below.
omdawe wrote:...as i only have ONE language installed i cant use that.. as that would change it to the same language that i use (swedish).
Windows, by default, installs your local and EN keyboard layouts. SO unless you actively remove the second keyboard layout, you have two. This has nothing to do with the language of windows itself as this is always the localized version.

As for why it worked in every other window: Windows stores the keyboard layout on a per-window basis so if you alt-tab around youcan have different settings for different windows.

-Michael
#40099 50-user license
omdawe

Tanx for your ideas!

Post by *omdawe »

Ok here is a image of it, I only have one languish installed

Image: http://i44.tinypic.com/2ch9nye.jpg

And it was only ONE of the running TC that had this error all the other program that was running at the same time did not have this problem! Funny thing i was uploading 2TB to a storage device when this happen so i did not want to close TC for some time, so the bug was there until i closed that TC window.

And like i said earlier i started another TC and that TC worked fine..

KeyboardID i looked for it but i dont have it in my Wincmd.ini!
Last edited by omdawe on 2010-05-07, 20:19 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

2omdawe
Switching "between input language" with <Alt+Shift> works also without any additional installed keyboard service.
Please try it out with notepad.
You should really change the <Alt+Shift> key sequence (as described here) to none.

Regards
Holger
omdawe

Yeah!

Post by *omdawe »

HolgerK ok so i changed it to "none" but it STILL dont really change anything as i tried many other programs when this error was happening with many different programs and even starting another TC.. Anyway i just wanted to report this as this WAS a bug on my computer but as it only was on ONE time error, maybe its not a bug!.. Maybe it was a ghost in machine just for the TC and not another program that was running ! oooooOOooooHhhh..