Resume Copy for broken files like HTTP/FTP resuming

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Matthias030

Resume Copy for broken files like HTTP/FTP resuming

Post by *Matthias030 »

For HTTP/FTP downloads it is possible to resume download of partial files after connection was interrupted.
Sometimes I use a network share over an internet vpn connection. If I copy a file and the connection is lost, it is not possible to resume the copy of the partial copied files.

Can you make an option to do this? At this time only "append" is possible, but this is not what I want.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately it's not possible. Why? To avoid fragmentation, TC sets the total size of the target file before starting the transfer. Therefore it's not possible to see how far the copying went when there is a complete connection loss.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
aakka

Post by *aakka »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately it's not possible. Why? To avoid fragmentation, TC sets the total size of the target file before starting the transfer. Therefore it's not possible to see how far the copying went when there is a complete connection loss.
sample of resume
Hello there,
Are you sure that it's not possible?
Thanks
Last edited by aakka on 2017-08-06, 11:15 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
aakka

Re: Resume Copy for broken files like HTTP/FTP resuming

Post by *aakka »

Matthias030 wrote:For HTTP/FTP downloads it is possible to resume download of partial files after connection was interrupted.
Sometimes I use a network share over an internet vpn connection. If I copy a file and the connection is lost, it is not possible to resume the copy of the partial copied files.

Can you make an option to do this? At this time only "append" is possible, but this is not what I want.
Sorry
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This could be possible when using CopyFileEx with special parameter COPY_FILE_RESTARTABLE. However, as Microsoft write:
"This can significantly slow down the copy operation as the new file may be flushed multiple times during the copy operation."

Furthermore, there are no functions to check whether a file is a partial file or not. CopyFileEx allocates the entire space needed at the start, so a partial file has the same size as the complete file.
jcelle

Post by *jcelle »

Hi Christian, this is also an option I would like very much.
What I don't get is that when a copy fails, I can clearly see that the destination file does not have the full size of the original as it should have if this pre-allocation was taking place.
It really looks like fseeking( sizeof(destination) ) could help start copying from a predefined point of the source file.
Am I missing something ?
Cheers.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What I don't get is that when a copy fails, I can clearly see that the destination file does not have the full size of the original as it should have if this pre-allocation was taking place.
Not confirmed. How does the copying break? Where is the source located, and where the target file?