Put "Delete" in Queue (Like "Copy" and &

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tom.koehler

Put "Delete" in Queue (Like "Copy" and &

Post by *tom.koehler »

Hello Christian,

my wish would be to be able to put "Delete" Commands into the Queue like "Copy" and "Move" commands.

There are two thoughts behind this:

* I put some file copies into the queue, then I want to delete several files (including some still copied via queue). So I want the delete command carried out after the copy job, which can be done by waiting ... or by appending the delete job to the queue.

* While working in networks copying and moving is not the same. With copy I get new rights for the files in the new directory whereas with move I maintain the old rights within the new directory. Therefore it can be suitabele to first copy the files and then delete them rather than moving them. Therefore a copy job in the queue and a delete job afterwards would help.

Best regards, Tom
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The reason why this isn't done is the following: You may be putting some files for copying in the list, and also put them there for deleting. Now when the copying fails for some reason, e.g. target full, TC will not copy the files but delete them later! Therefore it would be a very dangerous feature.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tom.koehler

Post by *tom.koehler »

Well, okay, seems to be a good reason.
Thank you for your quick reply. :D
Tom
Stedronsky

Post by *Stedronsky »

I'm missing this feature terribly (together with packing and unpacking in queue). Almost everytime I do bigger filemoves among my drives I must go back and clean some folders and files, because it can't be automated.

In general TC is full of potentially dangerous feaures. Deleting files itself is dangerous too, yet you can turn recycle bin off (in TC ). I can imagine several ways how to minimize negative impact and - of course - you can give to user posibility to choose, how dangerous deleting should be. For example via options:

[ ] deleting only empty folders
[*] deleting files/folders in queue only if no error occured before
[ ] deleting anything anyway

P.S. And I think that there are plenty of confirmations, when error in queue occures, so in fact it is not so much dangerous.
yiNXs

Post by *yiNXs »

Like the posters above, I would really like to see this feature too. Even considering that it's likely that I'm going to make the mentioned mistake with it once or twice. I accidentally delete things even without such feature, that just happens sometimes and I'll take that responsibility.

I don't think I have to be protected from making mistakes with it. Maybe some people do, but would they be using an advanced file management tool? I'm not so sure.

Anyway, hope to see this someday, it would help a lot. In my experience, good tools always come with some extra risks. That's what makes 'm good.
magz

Post by *magz »

Sounds practical and dangerous at the same time that delete in queue thing, not sure how I feel about that myself, but this would be awesome:
Stedronsky wrote:packing and unpacking in queue
I've wanted that for a long time too.
Guess there are posts requesting that feature already, but I just wanted to give a +1 vote. :)
walda

Post by *walda »

Stedronsky wrote:I'm missing this feature terribly (together with packing and unpacking in queue). Almost everytime I do bigger filemoves among my drives I must go back and clean some folders and files, because it can't be automated.

In general TC is full of potentially dangerous feaures. Deleting files itself is dangerous too, yet you can turn recycle bin off (in TC ). I can imagine several ways how to minimize negative impact and - of course - you can give to user posibility to choose, how dangerous deleting should be. For example via options:

P.S. And I think that there are plenty of confirmations, when error in queue occures, so in fact it is not so much dangerous.
+1
:)
Walter

#1561xx Personal Licence
robbykrlos

Post by *robbykrlos »

Stedronsky wrote:I'm missing this feature terribly (together with packing and unpacking in queue). Almost everytime I do bigger filemoves among my drives I must go back and clean some folders and files, because it can't be automated.

+1