Moved multiple files to single file?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

brambaars

Moved multiple files to single file?

Post by *brambaars »

Good morning,

Today I selected multiple files, and wanted to move them to a new directory.
The files were in:
/Storage Card/
And I wanted to move them to the non-existent folder:
/Storage Card/Settings/

But I forgot to type the trailing slash, in the destination folder! Now I have a file called Settings, with no file extension, instead of a created folder called Settings.
Since I moved the files, and not copied them, I don't have the source files anymore, so I can't retry it.

My question is:
Is there a way to recover the files from the newly created file?

I tried opening the file with 7-zip on a XP machine, it showed some files, but not exactly the source files...

Using Total Commander/CE V. 2.52 beta 2.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Bram Baars
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I wonder how exactly you did that. I just tried it here, and TC/CE only renamed the first file - then it asked whether I wanted to overwrite the first (now named "Settings") by the second one, which I declined. Afterwards, the first file was named "Settings", and the others were left unchanged.
I tried opening the file with 7-zip on a XP machine, it showed some files, but not exactly the source files...
Sounds more like you created a zip archive. Can you try to rename the archive to settings.zip and look at it with TC/CE?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
brambaars

Post by *brambaars »

Dear Mr. Ghisler,

Thank you very much for the great programs you create, and for your reply!

You are absolutely right. While reading your reply I remembered that I chose to overwrite all, without thinking why this was asked... Which only leaves me to blame.
So, every file was renamed to "Settings", then overwritten by the next file, and the last file remained. Whe I open that in 7-zip, I see the contents of that file (a .cab file).

With your reply I now understand that I have to interpret this as a "rename-file" action, instead of a "move-file" action, due to the missing trailing slash.

I will re-download the missing files from the web. Thanks for testing this, and making me understand! Topic can be closed/locked.

Regards
Killomor

Moved multiple files to single file

Post by *Killomor »

I am sorry, it not absolutely that is necessary for me.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Killomor,
Are you a spambot?

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.