Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Storing in INI Unicode text starting with space is buggy

Post by *Flint »

1. Start TC with empty INI.
2. Open the Find Files dialog, enter some search text which starts with one or more spaces and contains Unicode characters missing in your current locale. For example, " ﻼﻻﺏﺑ 弋 ф ö " without quotes.
3. Start the search, stop it, close the dialog.
4. Open the Find Files dialog again, open the drop-down list of the Find text field.
5. Instead of the Unicode characters there is a UTF-8 byte sequence shown in ANSI charset. E.g. on my Russian locale it is shown as
п»ї п»јп»»пєЏпє‘ еј‹ С„ Г¶
(the text field contents however remains correct, only the drop-down list shows incorrect text)

The problem is that in wincmd.ini this string is stored as UTF-8 with BOM prefix, but because of space the string is wrapped in double quotes, so it seems that TC fails to recognize the BOM signature and treats the text line as ANSI instead of UTF-8.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will check that, thanks for your report. As a solution, open the wincmd.ini with notepad and save it as Unicode (not UTF-8 ). TC will then use native Unicode for storing the characters.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

This problem was fixed in 7.56, so the topic should be moved to the "Fixed" subforum, I think.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ah, thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com