NiftyLink addon - Links using internal associations and more

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
Flexylink
In general, 1 character difference isn't considered as sufficient in trademark law - normally at least 2 characters must be different, even more if the name sounds too similar.
Thank you very much for this information!
It is in accordance with the experience that I just made:
"FlexyLink" was my favourite new name, and I asked that company whether they have any objections. Today they replied, that it's still too close to their registered brand name "FlexLink". Now I know, why people e.g. use words from the Zulu language as names for their software.
sgp wrote:Juerlink sounds good to me, close enough to "your link" !
Thank you, nice idea! :-) I think this is a pretty good nominee.
I'll think one or two days more about other candidates, and then I have to change the name ...

Regards, Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I would have suggested PortableLink - but I guess it already exists.
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Hi,
thanks for your support!
Lefteous wrote:I would have suggested PortableLink - but I guess it already exists.
PortableLink would be great! But I also think that I can't use it:
Wikipedia wrote:The first Skullcandy product—the Skullcandy Portable Link—was introduced at the 2003 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Almost every word that ends with "link" is in use. :-(

Regards, Juergen
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

What do you think about FlexpoLink (flexible portable link)?
It's not yet in use !
Or Link++ ?

Regards, Juergen
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

What do you think about NiftyLink ?
To my surprise, it's not in use.
KC_

Post by *KC_ »

Yeah, anything with the word "link" in it has already been taken. Yesterday, i read your post and thought several random names up - Fastlink, Ultralink, SuperLink, etc... Even SuperShorcuts (sounds cool) is already an Android app. Everytime I'd google it, there'd always be results lol

This is a great tool btw, I think people should consider trying it more often to see how it would fit into their workflow.
# 251045
Total Commander 10.5 64bit
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Thank you.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

LinkyLink. :)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Sounds nicely, but it's too late. :-)
KC_

Post by *KC_ »

But that's very close to KinkyLink :lol:

NiftyLink is fine :D

Cheers!
# 251045
Total Commander 10.5 64bit
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

New version 1.03 released (d/l link is in the first post of this thread).

fixed
  • The dialog for creating NiftyLinks was not displayed correctly, if the DPI setting of the operating system was higher than normal (> 96 DPI).
  • In some cases directories were not opened in Windows Explorer.
  • If in Total Commander the source panel contained a list of search results, when creating NiftyLinks the path of the target panel wasn't recognized correctly.
changed
  • The program was renamed to "NiftyLink". Thus the first line of newly ceated link files now reads [NiftyLink]. However, existing "old" links are still handled correctly.
  • Some internal deails.
new
  • Predefined simulated keystrokes for Citavi 3.2 in the INI file.
Please don't forget to adapt your internal associations for *._x and *.fx files in TC, because of the change of the program name. I'm sorry for any inconveniences.

2sgp:
I think I can soon release a new version that contains your requested feature.

Regards, Juergen
DBH

Post by *DBH »

Hi,

the name change discussion made me study what the plugin can do and I'm fascinated. Therefore I installed the 1.03 NiftyLink version (never had the predecessor so no confusion between old and new possible) automatically and followed the instructions in the readme html to prepare the TC. So far so good.

The first thing I tried was a NiftyLink to a .doc-file. I created it via the recommended button which has the parameters etc. properly set. It created the NiftyLink:

Code: Select all

[NiftyLink]
Target="..\Pfad\Dateiname.doc"
This is apparently the relative path starting from the NiftyLink.

Now: if I doubleclick / press Enter the program itself is started but the doc-file itself is not started.
If I go in TC to the original file and double click, the program is started containing the doc-file as usual and expected.

Question: where is my mistake / what do I have to change to get the usual behaviour?
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

DBH wrote:the name change discussion made me study what the plugin can do and I'm fascinated.
Thanks. :)
DBH wrote:The first thing I tried was a NiftyLink to a .doc-file. I created it via the recommended button which has the parameters etc. properly set. It created the NiftyLink:

[NiftyLink]

Now: if I doubleclick / press Enter the program itself is started but the doc-file itself is not started.
If I go in TC to the original file and double click, the program is started containing the doc-file as usual and expected.

Question: where is my mistake / what do I have to change to get the usual behaviour?
At the moment, I'm not sure what is going on. I've no problems with DOC files here.

Is there any packer associated with DOC files in your TC? Is there any internal file association with DOC files in your TC? I assume on your whole system, DOC files are associated with MS Word. If so, what version of MS Word? What is your operating system (unfortunately, I didn't have any possibility to test my program on a 64 bit system)?
Does this problem only occur with DOC files? Especially please make a test with a file type that is not associated with any MS Office program.
Thanks.

Regards, Juergen
DBH

Post by *DBH »

Juergen wrote:
DBH wrote:the name change discussion made me study what the plugin can do and I'm fascinated.
Thanks. :)
DBH wrote:The first thing I tried was a NiftyLink to a .doc-file. I created it via the recommended button which has the parameters etc. properly set. It created the NiftyLink:

[NiftyLink]

At the moment, I'm not sure what is going on. I've no problems with DOC files here.

Is there any packer associated with DOC files in your TC?
No, it's definitely not. (Just curiosity: wouldn't the packer association interfere whenever I start the .doc-file directly in TC?)
Is there any internal file association with DOC files in your TC?
Definitely no, only video file extensions are associated with VLC.
I assume on your whole system, DOC files are associated with MS Word.
Correct.
If so, what version of MS Word? What is your operating system (unfortunately, I didn't have any possibility to test my program on a 64 bit system)?
It's Windows Vista with Office 2003.
Does this problem only occur with DOC files? Especially please make a test with a file type that is not associated with any MS Office program.
Thanks.
I tried it with .XLS, doesn't work. I tried with .CDR, at first it didn't work, now it works ... :shock: I tried it with .GIF (Irfanview), it works.

I noticed one thing: with CDR and GIF the started program is activated / focussed and the file is opened (on the first try with CDR I remember that the program was -not- focussed), and Word and Excel are after opening the program also -not- focussed. Perhaps the file name is sent to the active/focussed window?

Best wishes ... and thank you for your prompt reply!
DBH
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

DBH wrote:
If so, what version of MS Word? What is your operating system (unfortunately, I didn't have any possibility to test my program on a 64 bit system)?
It's Windows Vista with Office 2003.
32 bit or 64 bit?
DBH wrote:
Thanks.
I tried it with .XLS, doesn't work. I tried with .CDR, at first it didn't work, now it works ... :shock: I tried it with .GIF (Irfanview), it works.

I noticed one thing: with CDR and GIF the started program is activated / focussed and the file is opened (on the first try with CDR I remember that the program was -not- focussed), and Word and Excel are after opening the program also -not- focussed. Perhaps the file name is sent to the active/focussed window?
No, the file name is passed as parameter to the respective program. The fact that the window is not activated might be a symptom of the problem, but it's not the cause.

Could you please try the new version 1.03a of the EXE file? Instead of the built-in command of my programming language for opening files, this version uses the Windows API function ShellExecute(), which works differently. I hope that solves the problem (and doesn't introduce new ones).
DBH wrote:Best wishes ... and thank you for your prompt reply!
DBH
You are welcome. And thanks for your detailed report.

Regards, Juergen