NiftyLink addon - Links using internal associations and more

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DBH

Post by *DBH »

Juergen wrote:
DBH wrote:
If so, what version of MS Word? What is your operating system (unfortunately, I didn't have any possibility to test my program on a 64 bit system)?
It's Windows Vista with Office 2003.
32 bit or 64 bit?
sorry: 32 bit (in case that would be of any interest now (see below)).
Could you please try the new version 1.03a of the EXE file?
Tried the update 1.03a and it works now!! :D :D

Thank you very much!

All the best and keep up the good work!
DBH
KC_

Post by *KC_ »

I have an issue with internal associations (saved searches). Here are parts of my configuration files:

MY WINCMD FILE

%COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd.ini

[Associations]
RedirectSection=%COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd_myassociations.ini

[Searches]
RedirectSection=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\impomezia\colors\standard.ini

MY ASSOCIATIONS FILE

%COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd_myassociations.ini

[Associations]
Filter1=*.ahk
Filter1_Open=""%COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Notepad2\Notepad2.exe" "%1""
Filter2=>Text files
Filter2_Open=""%COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Notepad2\Notepad2.exe" "%1""

MY SEARCHES FILE

%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\impomezia\colors\standard.ini

[Searches]
Text files_SearchFor=*.txt;*.bbs;*.cfg;*.ion;*.log;*.me;*.rus;*.scp
Text files_SearchIn=
Text files_SearchText=
Text files_SearchFlags=0|00000200||||||||22220|0000

When I launch sample.ahk.fx, it opens up in notepad2, as expected (Filter1)

when I launch sample.txt.fx, it opens up in notepad* (Filter2)
when I launch sample.bbs.fx, it opens up in notepad*
when I launch sample.cfg.fx, it opens up in notepad*
when I launch sample.ion.fx, it opens up in notepad*

*or the default software in windows' file association

Windows 7 32 Bit
Total Commander 8.0 B25
NiftyLink 1.03

Disclaimer: I admit I didn't read the entire thread and the entire document.
# 251045
Total Commander 10.5 64bit
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

DBH wrote:32 bit (in case that would be of any interest now (see below)).
Thanks. I think this is an issue of the programming language that I'm using for this project. I've reported the problem to the developers of the language now, and it's good that I could give some information about the context in which it happened.
DBH wrote:Tried the update 1.03a and it works now!! :D :D
I'm glad that it works now for you! I'll soon release a new official version that contains the fix.

KC_ wrote:Disclaimer: I admit I didn't read the entire thread and the entire document.
Sorry, with the information that you posted, I can't say much. [Searches] are not suppored by he program. The default software in windows' file association is sometimes used, and sometime not. It depends. Please read the complete documentation, then you know what the program is expected to do and not to do.

Regards, Juergen
My add-ons and plugins for TC: NiftyLink, mbox, Sequences
sgp

Post by *sgp »

Juergen wrote:
KC_ wrote:Disclaimer: I admit I didn't read the entire thread and the entire document.
Sorry, with the information that you posted, I can't say much. [Searches] are not suppored by he program. The default software in windows' file association is sometimes used, and sometime not. It depends. Please read the complete documentation, then you know what the program is expected to do and not to do.
@KC_ on page 5 of this thread you can read an exchange between Juergen and me concerning a proposed feature, which would enable using internal associations with niftylinks. Could that feature alone fulfill your needs?

BTW, one thing that strikes me in your setup is that you keep searches and associations in two separate files, I keep both inside a single, redirected file. As far as I remember, in the past I had tried two separate files like yours but I ran into some conflicts, which I can't remember exactly.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Juergen
Hi, I have a question regarding your NiftyLink addon. I couldn't find out so far how to solve the following problem.
We are working in an SVN environment here. We want to create links inside the SVN. So the SVN files are of course all saved on a server and have URLs. Eeach user has checked out a local copy - but has chosen a different base path. Example:
User A: "D:\SVN\" links to https://svnserver.local/stuff/
User B: "C:\Users\Users\Documents\Stuff" links to https://svnserver.local/stuff/

So the goal is to link to the appropriate local file for every user. Any ideas?
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Hi Lefteous,

unfortunately, I know only little about SVN, and I've never used it myself. So I hope what I'm going to write now makes sense according to your situation. :-)

I've tested the following scenario on our LAN:
  • User A has a local file "T:\Desktop\Demo.txt"
  • User B has a local file "U:\Eigene Dateien\Demo.txt"
  • Both users have NiftyLink locally installed.
  • In the local file "NiftyLink.ini" of user A, it reads:

Code: Select all

[Shortcuts]
    myplace = T:\Desktop\%1
  • In the local file "NiftyLink.ini" of user B, it reads:

[Shortcuts]
    myplace = U:\Eigene Dateien\%1
  • On the shared drive S: on the server, to which all users have access, there is one NiftyLink "Demo.txt.fx" with the following content:

[NiftyLink]
    Target="myplace:Demo.txt"
  • If user A double-clicks at "Demo.txt.fx", then his local file "Demo.txt" is opened with the associated program. This works even without TC, using the Windows Explorer. Same for user B with his local file "Demo.txt".
I hope, this is applicable to your problem. If not, please let me know. Then there might be another solution, or I might be able to change the program so that it does what you want.

Regards, Juergen
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Juergen
I'm not sure if it helps. I haven't tried using basic relatove links so far - at least not on multiple machines. Do you think they could work in the described scenario?
KC_

Post by *KC_ »

sgp wrote:
Juergen wrote:
@KC_ on page 5 of this thread you can read an exchange between Juergen and me concerning a proposed feature, which would enable using internal associations with niftylinks. Could that feature alone fulfill your needs?

BTW, one thing that strikes me in your setup is that you keep searches and associations in two separate files, I keep both inside a single, redirected file. As far as I remember, in the past I had tried two separate files like yours but I ran into some conflicts, which I can't remember exactly.
2sgp and 2Juergen

Pardon my late reply.

Yeah, I've broken down my wincmd.ini into probably 10 or more files, by redirection. It's easier to manipulate tc that way, and i switch through different "themes" or "setups" or "layouts" through a tiny helper app i cooked up through autohotkey.

As for the internal associations, NiftyLink doesn't seem to follow them if they were through saved searches. If the associations are written down explicitly though, then there is no problem. It's not a big thing on my part as I mostly use NiftyLink on exe files (I have a locked tab with all my "to process" files in it, and this is where i drop the NiftyLinks to my favorite programs as well).

NiftyLink is pretty cool. I'll have a look at page 5.

Thanks for your replies.
# 251045
Total Commander 10.5 64bit
sgp

Post by *sgp »

KC_ wrote:Yeah, I've broken down my wincmd.ini into probably 10 or more files, by redirection. It's easier to manipulate tc that way
I've broken down my wincmd.ini too. But I keep associations and searches into a single file. Post a self-contained test case of an internal association that fails with niftylink and I could tell you if it fails ith my setup too.
, and i switch through different "themes" or "setups" or "layouts" through a tiny helper app i cooked up through autohotkey.
(off topic) I would like to be able to switch the TC window font size based on the hostname. Is that something which your helper app could help with?
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

New version 1.04 released (d/l link is in the first post of this thread).

fixed
  • Certain files were not opened with the program, with which they are associated in the operating system.
changed
  • Improved error handling.

2Lefteous:
I wrote you a mail, since it's much easier for me to discuss this stuff in German. :-)

Regards, Juergen
hoppfrosch

Problem installing new version

Post by *hoppfrosch »

Hi there,

I've got problems installing a new version from exe file:

* Previously I installed Version 1.03 from exe-file
* Accidently I removed the "uninstall.exe" (or whatever files are needed for unimstallation)
* Now I want to update to Version 1.04

=> Update can not be performed: I'm requested to remove the previously installed version. This cannot be done, since the uninstaller is not present anymore ... So I'm stuck with previous version :-(

Question:
How can I update NiftyLink anyway?

Request:
* Within Installer: Offer an option for simply overwriting existing version - without uninstalling previous version ...

---
Hoppfrosch
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

Technically speaking, the setup file is a self-extracting ZIP archive, which you can open in Total Commander with [Ctrl]+[PgDown]. Then copy the content of the folder "53758734" to your existing NiftyLink directory, overwriting the old files. Since you didn't uninstall the old version, menu entries and file associations still exist.

I'll look into the installer for the next version.

Regards, Juergen
hoppfrosch

Post by *hoppfrosch »

Juergen wrote:Technically speaking, the setup file is a self-extracting ZIP archive, which you can open in Total Commander with [Ctrl]+[PgDown]. Then copy the content of the folder "53758734" to your existing NiftyLink directory, overwriting the old files. Since you didn't uninstall the old version, menu entries and file associations still exist.
Thanks - perfect for solving my problem!
Juergen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Juergen »

New version 1.10 beta 1 released (only for testing): http://luethje.eu/prog/niftylink110.zip

fixed
  • When NiftyLinks were created in Total Commander on the command-line, and the link target contained a relative path, the path of the target panel in TC wasn't recognized correctly under certain conditions.
new
  • Now it's possible to specify more precisely, how a linked file is to be opened (automatically, as archive in TC, with a particular internally associated TC command, with system command, with a particular program):
    If a file name in a NiftyLink is preceded by <newtab>, <other> or <newtabother>, then this file is now always treated as an archive.
    A file is explicitly treated as an archive, and opened in the current tab of the current panel of TC, if its name in the link is preceded by <archive>.
    If a file name in a link is preceded by <TC_foo>, then this file will be opened with the command "foo", with which it is associated internally in TC.
Image: http://luethje.eu/temp/niftylink110.png

The new features are based on one more excellent suggestion by sgp. Thanks again!

If you find any bugs, please report them!

Regards, Juergen
sgp

Post by *sgp »

Hi Juergen, thanks for the new beta version. Maybe I gave some ideas, but you do all the hard work. I can't take any credit.

Some issues in 1.10 beta 1 (Win7 SP1 32-bit English):
  • I have internal associations for .zip archives. The niftylink create dialog disables field "with this command associated internally in TC" for .zip archives. Can you enable it?
  • If I manually create a <TC_open-with-existing-associated-program> for a .zip file link, and double-click the niftylink I get: "Niftylink error: invalid associated command in Total Commander"
  • The same two issues above occur also with .pdf files. So I'm inclined to think that NiftyLink gets confused with my setup, which uses redirection= (this has been discussed in this thread recently). In my setup, I keep sections [searches] and [associations] in a separate .ini file associations-searches.ini, and wincmd.ini redirects both sections with redirect=associations-searches.ini.
  • If I double-click a simple (no <> whatsoever) niftylink to a .pdf file, it opens with the system-associated program. It used to be - and that's the way I still want it - that the internally-associated (Open verb) program was started.
Thanks for all your work!