Total7zip

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tc4e

Post by *tc4e »

Horst.Epp wrote:
tc4e wrote:
tc4e wrote: Example:
c:\dir\file has content "content 1"; d:\dir\file has content "content 2"
7z a -spf archive.7z c:\dir\file d:\dir\file
Tcmd's built-in 7zip shows "dir" twice which is partially ok.
It should also show the drive letter.
Under each "dir" "file" is shown twice due to the ignored drive letter of path "dir".
One "file" then is shown with "content 1", the other "file" with "content 2" which is correct so far.
Ok, there is a problem with -spf option.
But for what reason should I ever store the absulute pathnames in an archive ?
Never needed this for the last 30 years of working with archives
on all sort of Windows machines.
30 years? I can keep up with that.
But back to arguments.

For a good reason and on many requests Igor Pavlov implemented the
-spf option.

When archiving files in windows systems with one drive only
there is really no need using -spf.
Other than with two and more drives, identical paths, and one archive only.
In a broader sense drive letters in windows systems can be treated as mount points in *nix systems.
No one would request there to create distinct archives when files from more than one file system respectively "top directory" should be archived.

This behavior, by the way, is default with zip (http://www.info-zip.org) for a very long time.
You have to specify the -j option there to drop the path.

Anyway, the reason for using 7zip's -spf is shown in the example below
with -spf dropped:

7z a archive.7z c:\dir\file d:\dir\file

7-Zip [64] 15.12 : Copyright (c) 1999-2015 Igor Pavlov : 2015-11-19

Scanning the drive:
2 files, 20 bytes (1 KiB)

Creating archive: archive.7z

ERROR:
Duplicate filename on disk:
file
file
Last edited by tc4e on 2016-01-01, 07:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Ok, I see the problem.
Found that my current archiver ZPAQ and the related TC plugin handles such cases by default with no problem :D
tc4e

Post by *tc4e »

Horst.Epp wrote:Ok, I see the problem.
Found that my current archiver ZPAQ and the related TC plugin handles such cases by default with no problem :D
A new finding:
7zip archives created with -spf option can be simply modified
and the Total7zip plugin will be able to work with them:

Just apply the 7zip file manager using the rename function and replace the colon which follows the drive letter by underscore, drive by drive.

Or take CLI and rename function for that, example:
7z rn archive.7z c: c_ d: d_

Afterwards the plugin will have no problem to work with those archives,
both read and write mode.

This is what 7zip will do when extracting -spf archives by default:
It won't overwrite using the absolute paths stored in but rename <drive letter>: to <drive letter>_ to achieve and create relative paths.

Amendment:
UNC pathnames are also an issue with Total7zip plugin.
Renaming \\ to __ using 7zip file manager or 7zip CLI will solve that as well.
cieply

how to stop creating Total7zip.xml in every directory?

Post by *cieply »

how to stop creating Total7zip.xml in every directory with an archive I view?
this is annoying - if program needs a database it should keep it somewhere in plugin's directory or in %APPDATA or whatever but not in every directory with viewed archive.
any suggestions?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Looks like a bug because:
Total7zip stores its settings in the file Total7zip.xml
If this file doesn't exist, it is created with default settings.
You can use included Total7zip.template.xml as an example.

new in Total7zip v0.8.4.0
If Total Commander is started in portable mode, Total7zip.xml will be stored in the plugin folder, as it was in previous versions.
Default path is %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\WCX\Total7zip\Total7zip.xml
In all other cases Total7zip.xml will be saved to the directory where Total Commander stores the wincmd.ini.
I have one Total7zip.xml in plugin dir (I've enable writing to it for regular users) and all work fine.
cieply

Post by *cieply »

I'm the only user of the computer and have right to save in these directories. Moreover that - I already put total7zip.xml in %COMMANDER_PATH% and in %COMMANDER_PATH%/plugins/wcx/Total7zip as well so it shouldn't have the issue - these files are there but it still does it.
Don't know how to track it as for some reason filemon doesn't catch anything so I don't even know what files/directories it tries to enter/refer.

I use TC as portable I guess - I have one version that I copy as whole wherever so I don't have to deal with configuration again.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If your TC dir is under Program Files, your account may not have write permission to it by default even if you are the only PC user and if your account is administrator account (UAC protects such directories from writing by non-elevated processes). You may have to set write permissions for Users group directly.
mawi

Post by *mawi »

Hello,

in light of current news <http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Entpacker-7-Zip-kann-zum-Ausfuehren-von-Schadcode-missbraucht-werden-3206787.html> (German): I couldn't find the way how to update the Total7zip engine. Tried replacing 7zip.wcx with renamed 7z.exe, didn't work. Would be great if this info could be included in the plugin's page as well.

Thanks,
mawi
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

mawi wrote:Hello,

in light of current news <http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Entpacker-7-Zip-kann-zum-Ausfuehren-von-Schadcode-missbraucht-werden-3206787.html> (German): I couldn't find the way how to update the Total7zip engine. Tried replacing 7zip.wcx with renamed 7z.exe, didn't work. Would be great if this info could be included in the plugin's page as well.

Thanks,
mawi
Whats the problem to update the 7-zip installation to version 16 ?
The Total7zip plugin has the benefit that you can always use the actual 7-zip files.
You have two ways to do that
1. Install the 7-zip and point your Total7zip config to this installation.
2. Download the actual 7-zip setup (the .exe version) and extract and replace the few 7-zip files you have in your Plugin dir.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Tried replacing 7zip.wcx with renamed 7z.exe, didn't work.
Of course! You're trying to replace plugin library with an executable.
First of all, 7zip.wcx is not Total7zip, it is a separate plugin. Second, your Total7zip plugin has XML settings file with path to 7-Zip files (7z.dll, 7zG.exe) which you can update.
GammelBert

Post by *GammelBert »

There is also the file 7z.sfx. Maybe it has to be updated, too.
mawi

Post by *mawi »

Ah, thanks, the fact that I didn't have an XML there pointed me to the fact that I had an even older plugin installed, still called just 7zip.wcx...

Now I installed Total7zip (which seemed to replace the old 7zip plugin, because that one's now gone from TC's plugin settings), renamed current 7z1600.exe to 7z1600.exe.zip, replaced 7zG.exe & 7z.dll & 7z.sfx in plugins\Total7zip from there.

That should be it, right? So the wcx files do not need updating?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

7zip and Total7zip are completely different plugins, first one have integrated 7-Zip code while second one just calls external 7z.dll so you can update this DLL w/o updating plugin itself.

Total7zip.wcx doesn't replace 7zip.wcx, they are both in your plugins folder, it is just associated with 7z extension instead of it, but you can add them both using different extensions.
Ahu_Lee

Post by *Ahu_Lee »

It says you can extract audio from flv files with it. When I try to do so I got an error message saying "Error in packed file ..\filename.flv". Why?

What am I doing wrong?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe some new format? I've tried with some old FLVs - it works. However extracted audio is still in FLV format, not some standard one.