TC7.56a and TweakUI/drive letters - cosmetic bug

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

TC7.56a and TweakUI/drive letters - cosmetic bug

Post by *wanderer »

On WinXP SP3, i've used TweakUI to change the following setting: Show drive letters before labels.

In TweakUI, go to "My Computer\Drive Letters" and select "Never show drive letters". This setting (due to a bug in TweakUI) actually sets drive letters of ALL drives to appear before the labels in Explorer (re-logon is needed to take effect).

This setting has the following effect in TC: In the dropdown drive-list above the panels (ALT+F1/F2), only for the CDs - not for local or network drives, the drive letter also appears in the description part of the combo-box (where only the label should appear).

Example: where the description should be "DVD-RAM Drive", it is now "(D: ) DVD-RAM Drive".

PS: The PC has a fresh WinXP installation on it.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a known limitation of TC: Since it requests the names from Explorer, they are part of the description. TC tries to remove them, but it can only do it when the format is recognized.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This is a known limitation of TC: Since it requests the names from Explorer, they are part of the description. TC tries to remove them, but it can only do it when the format is recognized.
So, the names are part of the description only for CD/DVDs? I ask because local HDDs and network drives appear normally, only CDs have this issue.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can check how they show up in Explorer (in the tree panel).
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

All drives start with the drive letter enclosed in parenthesis, followed by the drive description in Explorer.

In TC's combo, the exact same thing appears as a description only for the CDs. All other drives have the normal description, without the preceding drive letter.

There has to be something that can be done in TC to correct this.

EDIT: The relevant registry settings is:
[My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"ShowDriveLettersFirst"=dword:00000004

A PC restart may be required.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have checked my code - TC uses SHGetFileInfoW with SHGFI_DISPLAYNAME parameter only for CD/DVD drives and removable drives (except for floppies). It use the normal GetVolumeInformation for local harddisks. Therefore you should get the same problem with e.g. USB sticks.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Indeed, it happens with USB sticks too. I guess GetVolumeInformation is not convenient for removable drives, that's why you used SHGetFileInfoW, right?

Anyway, if you feel it can be resolved, then great, otherwise feel free to move it to the "behavior will not be changed". IMO it is a bug but it's not that important.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯