Exclude (directory) from search

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

robertsu

Exclude (directory) from search

Post by *robertsu »

My suggestion is simple, to add option as topic say:

-Exclude directory from search

This is very useful when you have a lot of files on hard drive and you want to exclude them from search. I have directory (Photos) with a lot of images in it but I want to search some other things on hard drive not mostly DSC_xxxx.jpg files. Excluding that directory search will be just 5x or more faster than normal.
And under alt+F7 search options you can just add one check box: search excluded directories also

This is my suggestion

tx
Vochomurka
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vochomurka »

TC help wrote:Examples:

*.ini | windows\ finds all ini files except those in directories called "Windows" and their subdirs.

*.htm? | _vti*\ finds all html files, except in subdirs starting with _vti (used by Frontpage)

windows\ system32\ *.ini finds ini files only in windows\ and system32 dirs
See also.
Single user license #329241
PowerPro scripts for Total Commander
robertsu

Post by *robertsu »

Yes but I want to exclude some directories from search forever, like ignore list which is already in TC options.
I don't want to type 20x ./_* for every search I want to make or going to .ini file to change something before I search.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You may set search options and save template and then load it using internal command LOADSEARCH via a buttonbar button. You may even create a em-command that will load your template and assign a shortcut for it (even default Alt+F7).
darko79

Post by *darko79 »

I was just searching for the same thing.
I would also like for ignore list to be separated for display and search.
I just want to have ignore list for search, but not to hide that folder because I want to see that folder. In my case I want to exclude .svn and .hg folders from search, folders under source control, but I don't want them to be hidden because they are also indicators that folder is under source control.
stanly01@excite.com

Search within zip file but exclude some file ext

Post by *stanly01@excite.com »

Hi, How to search the all the files include the zip file (the TC will auto unzip it), while searching exclude some file extension, i.e. *.ini files. Can some one help?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

If you need to find all files except *.ini in directories and archives, just search for something like *.* | *.ini and enable searching in archives.
stanly01@excite.com

Post by *stanly01@excite.com »

Let me explain what I want I need to do. I want to search a folder including the Zip files inside the folder (The TC will unzip them automatically). For all *.p files, I want to search for a particular string in the text file and list all the P files. I try to use the TC.ext plug in to match the P file but this will eliminated the zip extension also. How can I "include" a particular file types and exclude all other file ext types?

Thank you,
Stanly