Total Commander versions for Linux and Mac ?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bugmenot2

Total Commander versions for Linux and Mac ?

Post by *bugmenot2 »

Good day. How about a versions for Linux ans Mac OS? I mean the number of windows users decreases with time. Not so fast as IE browser but still. If software works under these three os, near everybody can use it.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

ROLFMAO you made my day mr. anonymous!
"I mean the number of windows users decreases with time. "
Mac/Linux-Users dont increase that much and die too...

And next time please use the search Mr. Signature Spam...
Hoecker sie sind raus!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The number of users isn't the problem. The problem is to first port everything to the new system (now possible with Lazarus, but would be a LOT of work), and especially to keep maintaining it with bugfixes etc.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
J.One

Post by *J.One »

Ghisler,

Alltough i'm not a coder, i understand its a lot of work to port everything to a new platform. But if you would, you would certainly make lots of people happy.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a project based on donations? For example:
People who want to see TC on MAC or Linux can donate the project, in order to support you?

Or couldn't you ask for help from the communty's? (I don't know it thats possible as TC is closed source)
But its just idea's..

Or couldn't you make some modifications to optimize TC for use with "Wine"?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Money isn't the problem, it's the required time! Porting TC to Android took almost half a year, time which I couldn't use to add new features to TC for Windows. But since I had to wait until Lazarus became usable enough for 64-bit (which it is now), it was not wasted time.
J.One

Post by *J.One »

I didn't know there was a version of Total Commander for Android, i was looking for it (in the market) a few weeks ago. Great news anyway!

But, if its ported to Android, its not "easier" to port to other *nix systems? As Anroid is Linux(ARM)/JAVA(Dalvik). Or am I completely wrong here?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC for Android is a much reduced version which doesn't have all the features of the Windows version, e.g. no synchronize, no compare by contents, no lister, no multi-rename tool. Porting the Lazarus version would be easier, but would still require a lot of time.
musicman

Post by *musicman »

There is a linux alternative written in FreePascal and Lazarus called Double Commander.

I love the Total Commander. But under linux, I can only use it with wine and then it's not integrated in the linux OS like a file manager like nautilus (gnome).

Do you have anything to do with Double Commander? It looks really quite similar to TC but has a lot of bugs and stability problems...
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

musicman wrote:Do you have anything to do with Double Commander? It looks really quite similar to TC but has a lot of bugs and stability problems...
The similar look comes out of the fact because both are "Orthodox File Managers".

Double Commander uses Total Commander plugin API for:
WCX - packer plugins
WDX - content plugins
WFX - system plugins
WLX - lister plugins

Find out more interesting facts about Double Commander when visiting its homepage:
http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/

When you find bugs in the Double Commander software, have a look in the DC-bugtracker first and please report it in the forum:
http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/forum

Please make some Feature Requests for DoubleCommander there.
jengel

Post by *jengel »

I've tried as many orthodox file managers as I could get my hands for on Linux and MAC. The only one that comes close to TC AND work on BOTH Linux and MAC* is Krusader.

In it's own right, it has a few good features too, such a build-in terminal.

I would dare to say that it should be easier to bring TC functionality to Krusader, than port TC.

* Krusader run on a MAC using MacPorts

PS. Sorry I cannot include an URL in my post. Google is your friend to find the mentioned software.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Krusader - Twin Panel File Management For Your Desktop

After 1 day and 2 posts you will be permitted to post URLs as well, jengel. :wink:

Karl
MESSIAH

TC on Linux

Post by *MESSIAH »

We need TC in Linux! This is fantastic program for programmers and Admins.

2MESSIAH: please search and reuse, before creating new threads. Thanks.
rabin

Post by *rabin »

Sorry for keep nacromancing this thread, but I like to add my vote to this subject,

We want/need a Linux version of Total Commander.

Thanks.
:D
seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

Post by *seb- »

+1

because i have not yet found a suitable replacement for TC on Linux...

Now i just use it at work where i'm doomed to use Windows until Judgement day. But on Linux i degraded back to using two "File Manager" Windows side by side. Rarely i start Gnome Commander, TUX Commander or Double Commander. The look & Feel is simply not as good as TC on Windows.

Of course i also now understand that it will be a lot of pain to integrate a TC Linux version into different Desktop Environments, but still, i would welcome any activity that brings me a native TC implementation without the use of WINE.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try using Krusader, it gives me the best two panel file manager feeling on Linux.