Great app, few questions left

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

larry99

Great app, few questions left

Post by *larry99 »

First things first: I found this now sub-forum by chance after visiting the forum after some time and I had to immediately try it.
And I am really impressed! Even the beta is far better than anything else I have seen on android as file managers.

But as always there is one or the other question left

- there is this very helpful shortcut to the installed apps but when I click on one of them I only get its settings. Is it possible to launch apps from here?

- Due to the wealth of possibilities I think I need to better study the help text. Is it available online somewhere (perhaps with screenshots or at least the mentioned icons)? Then I could study the docu on PC and try it with the phone while reading.

- The last one is a bit tricky to explain but I will try:
I have a dir of ebooks. All of them have the same extension ".epub". They all get the same Icon of the ebook reader, file permissions seem to be the same but one of them I can not open. When I try I get the message: "Kann Datei/Ordner nicht öffnen!" But what could be the reason? I can open it from within the ebook reader as any other book. Any idea?

But as I said above, the overall feeling when playing around with the app was simply "Wow!" Thanks a lot!
DeathStalker

Re: Great app, few questions left

Post by *DeathStalker »

larry99 wrote:- Due to the wealth of possibilities I think I need to better study the help text. Is it available online somewhere (perhaps with screenshots or at least the mentioned icons)? Then I could study the docu on PC and try it with the phone while reading.
Press Menu -> Configure -> Help (html) or you can unpack tcandroid.apk zip archiver and find the help file in the folder assets.
TC 7.56a, Win 7 x64
TC for Android 1.0 rc1, HTC Desire | rooted stock Gingerbread (3.14.405.1) | S-OFF

-----------------------------
Sorry for my bad English
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

there is this very helpful shortcut to the installed apps but when I click on one of them I only get its settings. Is it possible to launch apps from here?
Sorry, it's not a program launcher.
I have a dir of ebooks. All of them have the same extension ".epub". They all get the same Icon of the ebook reader, file permissions seem to be the same but one of them I can not open.
Is there anything special with its name, e.g. spaces or special accents in the name?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
larry99

Post by *larry99 »

@DeathStalker

Thanks, I didn't know that .apk files are just zip files. I could extract the help file from it, so I am fine for the moment.
Still an online version would be nice, because getting at the .apk might be difficult when the app will only be available in the market, e.g. the final version.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, it's not a program launcher.
Would be a great addition for future versions!
Is there anything special with its name, e.g. spaces or special accents in the name?
No, just plain english with dots in place of spaces.
But I noticed that the Astro file manager has the same problem so it looks like an Android issue and not TC specific.
Still very mysterious. The only difference to other files is, that I imported it to the Aldiko reader. But despite the import it is still at its old place and another reader (Moon+) can open the file from its builtin file manager without problems.
burekbrigada

Post by *burekbrigada »

I have a dir of ebooks. All of them have the same extension ".epub". They all get the same Icon of the ebook reader, file permissions seem to be the same but one of them I can not open.
I can confirm that. Files with dots instead of spaces in name, can't be opened by TC. I get errors with .epub and .chm files, but strange enough, not with similarly named jpegs. Ghost Commander (my previous favorite) launch associated programs with these files without problem.

(Using Nook Color tablet with CM7)
larry99

Post by *larry99 »

Ideed, that is it! I didn't notice since most other files have spaces.
But I found one other file with dots and TC cannot open it either.

Well, this can happen in a beta app like TC but is a very bad sign for the astro file manager that is around for some time and still has the same problem.
cokie69

Post by *cokie69 »

I also like this beta very much...

any idea when the final candidate will be released?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Files with dots instead of spaces in name, can't be opened by TC.
Thanks for this info, I will check it in the debugger and try to fix it!
any idea when the final candidate will be released?
No, it's done when it's done.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have tested this now - the problem you have with multiple dots in epub files is actually an Android bug!

You can find a discussion here:
stackoverflow.com

In short, it happens because FBReader uses the following pattern to detect epub files:
<data android:pathPattern=".*\\.epub" />
Unfortunately this doesn't find epubs with multiple dots in the name.

Solution: Define an internal association in Total Commander where .epub points directly to your reader app.
larry99

Post by *larry99 »

Thanks for the explanation. The internal association does indeed work.
(This is also for the PC version one of the most ingenious features of TC)

Just great that TC always has an ace up its sleeve ;-)

For ebooks there is only one disadvantage left: The books are always opened at the first page not where I left off last time. Is there any chance for TC to tell the reader to open the book there (this is how it works if the book is opened from within the reader).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I don't think so. Have you tried the "Back" button? It should allow you to return to the last position.
larry99

Post by *larry99 »

No, the "Back"-Button moves me back to TC.
I can see that this behaviour (to always start at page 1) is not TC's fault. Android is already great given the short time it exists but it still needs some more time to mature...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, this worked for me - please check in the settings of fbreader whether the option "Last 3 positions" is set in the option category "Cancel menu".
larry99

Post by *larry99 »

I do not have fbreader installed but Aldiko which is quite good but does not seem to support this.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see - so Aldiko apparently re-opens the book when you pass it as a parameter. Try to re-open Aldiko via task manager instead (long tap on Home button).