Add-on announcement: Right Click Commander 1.2.4

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

batchman61

Post by *batchman61 »

How about a rule in this forum that any addons which are NOT FREE, should have the price in the topic title?
Yes, support !
Jaguarist

Post by *Jaguarist »

Yes, I agree also. I am not opposed to people getting a fair price for their hard work, but I like to know up-front that is what is expected of me if I install their program.

Manaste

Jag
robinsiebler

Post by *robinsiebler »

I don't even see the point of using this program! You can already create directory menus, which will allow you to change to whatever directory you want quickly. And there are various plugins to speed copying and moving files.
Robin L. Siebler
Personal License #13949
------------------------------
"Bother", said Pooh, as he deleted Windows
Janus

Post by *Janus »

I completely agree with making the price more evident for non-free plugins.
This particular plugin seems to be useful - IMHO - but I find $20 a bit too much.
The advantage of Right Click Commander over the directory hotlist is that it allows you to have the tree structure always updted without any intervention from your part. Also, I think that the Directoy hotlist has a maximum of 200 items, which apparently this plugin doesn't have.
As said, it's useful and it overcomes some limitations of the directory hotlist. It may have some future with some "polishing"

By the way, what method do you use for navigation in your drives? Directoy Hotlist? Tabs? Buttons pointing to directories on the Button bar?
A tree view on one of the panels? (please add yours if I forgot to mention it)

Just curious ...

Janus
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Janus wrote:I completely agree with making the price more evident for non-free plugins.
By the way, what method do you use for navigation in your drives? Directoy Hotlist? Tabs? Buttons pointing to directories on the Button bar?
A tree view on one of the panels? (please add yours if I forgot to mention it)

Just curious ...

Janus
What about ALT-F10
Then just enter a few chars of a directory name.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Horst.Epp
What about ALT-F10
Too slow Joe
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Solution for all of you making Right Click Commander superfluous, it's too expensive anyway:

Download ShortPopUp

Make a button, a start menu entry with hotkey, whatever:
command: ..\ShortPopUp.exe
parameter: -display 3 -sort -startdirectory %P

Now you already get the popupmenu in current directory but the problem is clicking on directories in popup menu will start explorer!
Therefore we have to tell Windows in general what it has to do when clicking a folder:

First backup the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open in case you wanna revert the changes later.

Then delete key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\ddeexec and change default value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command
to "..\totalcmd.exe /O %1"
or
to "..\totalcmd.exe /O /R=%1" if you wanna change path in right panel, don't know if there is a possibility to always change active panel, your turn...

Read the ShortPopUp.htm to further change the popupmenu to your liking, it has great parameters, you can load an ini file as well.

Btw., the app ResizeEnable from same author is great, too, it enables resizing of normally unresizable windows like Background Transfer Manager in TC or Ctrl-F12 for example. ;)

Icfu

Edit:
Clicking on folders on desktop still starts explorer after that change. If you wanna change your system to always open TC instead you can delete the entry "BrowserFlags" under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open. I've got no information about that value currently so beware. After that change right click-open in Explorer starts TC as well!
Last edited by icfu on 2004-04-09, 12:10 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Clo

Nice utility

Post by *Clo »

2icfu
Btw., the app ResizeEnable from same author is great, too, it enables resizing of normally unresizable windows like Background Transfer Manager in TC or Ctrl-F12 for example.
:)   Hi Jeff !
• I use that utilty, it's really useful -and free of charge- !
:mrgreen:   Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
normally unresizable windows like Background Transfer Manager in TC
this window is resizable in Total Commander 6.02
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Maybe it was unresizable in a former TC version, no idea anymore. Anyway, there are still enough Windows left to make this app valuable.

Icfu
Janus

Post by *Janus »

icfu wrote:Solution for all of you making Right Click Commander superfluous, it's too expensive anyway

Read the ShortPopUp.htm to further change the popupmenu to your liking, it has great parameters, you can load an ini file as well.

Great, great tip, icfu !!!!!! :D :mrgreen: :!: :!: :!:
Thanks a lot!

And great little program by Orm, too!!! It's incredible that a 200 kB app can be so useful and have so many adjustable parameters.
I configured it on my Directoy Hotlist and now enjoy full drive navigation just by double clicking on the panel title bar 8)

It's working flawlessly and I changed some parameters to make it work exactly like I wanted to.

Only a small correction on the Registry part of your tip: the parameter to make TC open the chosen directory on the right panel is "/R=", not "/R". Tiny difference but it made me go back to the TC help file to sort it. By the way, I couldn't find a parameter to make TC open the directory in the active panel either. I don't think such parameter exists for TC, or at least it's not mentioned in the Help File.

All in all, great tip, great app :wink:
I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to have easy directory navigation with a couple of clicks (yeah, yeah, I know, I should be using the keyboard instead :lol: ...)

Cheers,
Janus
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

the parameter to make TC open the chosen directory on the right panel is "/R=", not "/R".
Corrected, thanks. :) Active panel switch would be a nice feature enhancement for TC but as I have retired it's up to others to propose that. ;)

I had a nice email conversation with Orm and proposed him some improvements which he maybe will implement, for example being able to set start directory to "My Computer". Till then you can use parameter "-menusforshortcutstofolders path_to_directory" and put in there all links to partitions (or other favourite directories of course) you wanna browse regardless of currently active TC directory.

His todo list is big in his own words so there are some more improvements to come. :)

Just curious, what parameters are you using right now, maybe there is some trick I don't know of currently?

Icfu
Janus

Post by *Janus »

I'm glad to hear that there are improvements to come in ShortPopUp :D :) I'll be looking forward to that
Active panel switch would be a nice feature enhancement for TC
Yep, I'll see if I can post a new feature request for that. It's probably not too hard, since "Source" and "Target" are widely used in other commands. But it's up to Christian to decide ...
Just curious, what parameters are you using right now, maybe there is some trick I don't know of currently?
Actually what I did is set up a number (around seven) of different .ini files (they're not even truly .ini but simply .txt) in the ShortPopUp directory. All these .ini files contain the same parameters except "-startdirectory"
Then, I added the same number of items to my directory hotlist. On each of those items, I call SPU with a different "-useinifile" parameter.
Basically, what I get on each directory hotlist item is ShortPopUp starting from a different place of my HDD. One of the items is "C:" (from which I could really navigate all the way down), another one "My docs", yet another "Program files", and so on. Very neat, very practical (I hope my explanation was not too confusing ...)

The parameters (other than "-startdirectory") that I'm using are:
-sort 2
-display 3
-appearwhererun
-onlyfolders "Open"
-dotitles gradient clicktoopenfolder
-iconsforfolders
-menuxalignment left
-menuyalignment middle
-noavailablecheck

I use -onlyfolders because I prefer to have it as a directory browser than a file launcher, and not showing files keeps menues "tidier".
"-noavailablecheck" is probably a good idea if you're only going to use it on fixed drives.

That's all. Thanks again for bringing up SPU :wink:

regards,
Janus