Ask for confirmation on mouse click during inplace rename

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Ask for confirmation on mouse click during inplace rename

Post by *MVV »

Currently TC just closes inplace rename window when it looses focus.

It would be useful to have an option (disabled or enabled by default - no matter) to enable message asking to confirm rename instead of just closing rename window. E.g. TC may check if name has changed and ask if it was.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

Strongly support++;
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support ++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

I have to use quite long file names (usually over 200 symbols) which should include much information. That's why TC current behavior is a really very, very, very big headache for me. Many times every day I get in trouble, when after spending several minutes to compose a file correct name some 3.rd application notification window (say, email notification, calendar event reminder or just some app error notification) suddenly jumps to the front and steals the focus - so the result is, that the whole my previous work with renaming a file is immediately lost. Besides I get often the same sad result, when I simply touch by accident a mouse or a keyboard key.

Adding this option (inplace rename as in Windows Explorer, when before losing focus it automatically saves the made changes) would solve my problem. Is there any hope to get the appropriate option in the 9.th version?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Just use F6 instead of Shift+F6 to rename. You can start typing immediately, it will overwrite the path and name.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author),
Unfortunately you can't just edit filename using just F6, you have to erase it (or you have to erase path before the name and it is also complicated).
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

MVV wrote:Unfortunately you can't just edit filename using just F6, you have to erase it (or you have to erase path before the name and it is also complicated).
Yes, it is a real headache for me too.

Besides this modal window being called by F6 is too narrow, it shows 60 symbols only what is about 1/3 of my average filenames length (and there is no option to change this window width).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

MVV,
Unfortunately you can't just edit filename using just F6, you have to erase it (or you have to erase path before the name and it is also complicated).
ghisler(Author) wrote:Just use F6 instead of Shift+F6 to rename. You can start typing immediately, it will overwrite the path and name.
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
leopoldus

Post by *leopoldus »

2Hacker
Unfortunately you can't just edit filename using just F6,
Just use F6 instead of Shift+F6 to rename. You can start typing immediately, it will overwrite the path and name.
"edit" != erase/overwrite
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

leopoldus wrote:
"edit" != erase/overwrite
Exactly!!!
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

leopoldus,
"spending several minutes to compose a file correct name"
I did not think "compose" meant edit instead of "build". Anyways, F6, F6, F6, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-A, Del, Ctrl-V, Home.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Hacker wrote:Anyways, F6, F6, F6, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-A, Del, Ctrl-V, Home.
That's what I've called complicated. :D
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

MVV,
Well, if someone composes a file name for several minutes I think he can spare the two seconds it takes to type that sequence or use this simple Alt-F6 script I made in two minutes:

Code: Select all

SendMode, Input

#IfWinActive, ahk_class TTOTAL_CMD
!F6::
	Send, {F6}
	Clipboard =
	WinWaitActive, Total Commander ahk_class TInpComboDlg
	Send, {F6 2}^c^a{Del}
	ClipWait
	Send, ^v{Home}
Return
Roman
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

But what if someone doesn't like AHK and wants to rename files faster? What if someone prefers F6-like dialog on Shift+F6 but with filename only? Just as TC does when you select some file AND .. item and then press Shift+F6.
Anyway I don't think that it is too hard to add a confirmation, or to show rename dialog when TC loses focus while it is in inplace rename mode.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

MVV,
But what if someone doesn't like AHK and wants to rename files faster? What if someone prefers F6-like dialog on Shift+F6 but with filename only?
Then he's currently out of luck.

Roman